First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Thanks for the info - that is what I figured - given the size of the data files for the map update, I think I'll just use the cyanlabs updater. It worked really well for me previously. If I didn't do that, I'd have to keep the truck on and powered up for quite some time I'd think in order to download the map files.
Truck doesn't really need to be on to download the update. See here WTH | 2019+ Ford Ranger and Raptor Forum (5th Generation) - Ranger5G.com
Sponsored

rparge

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired.
I had to try quite a few times to get all the files - one in particular I ended up downloading myself (having to re-try 3 times to get the file). I didn't see where you could copy and paste the URLS for all the files, but I typed this on in manually:

https://givisivsustorageprod.blob.core.windows.net/swparts/4U5T-14G421-CCD_1615428361000.TAR.GZ

I finally have all the files for the upgrade - almost 16GB worth. When the Syn3 Updater downloads the files, it puts them into a Syn3Updater folder under your downloads directory. It will keep files that it completes so that if you have to start over it won't start from scratch. I probably restarted the process 10+ times in order to get all the files. I'd get an error when trying to download one of the files (connection closed) - then try again an it would usually work, getting the same error on another file.

I also got the answer to my "downgrade" question here:

https://cyanlabs.net/tutorials/windows-automated-method-update-to-3-4/#downgrade

So I think I have a good USB to do the update - I have a 4ish hour drive next week so I think I will attempt to do the map upgrade then.

Thanks for that link, will try it soon, but note the conflicting directions.

1620336583353.png

In the past I have left the USB in when it said to remove it, but (rhetorical question) why can't the Sync Team get this message updated?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
turning auto update off/on voodoo did nothing for me :)

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
That’s the map update coming down.
do you know how many files there are. I updated with usb to the 3.4 and all went good then I connected to WiFi and I got one and after that installed got a second one.

6C5C8F5D-A7B1-4BD4-80CE-BB50E5313521.jpeg

548069CC-06D8-492B-852B-AEDAFE909793.jpeg

Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
do you know how many files there are. I updated with usb to the 3.4 and all went good then I connected to WiFi and I got one and after that installed got a second one.

6C5C8F5D-A7B1-4BD4-80CE-BB50E5313521.jpeg

548069CC-06D8-492B-852B-AEDAFE909793.jpeg
Pretty sure those are the NA 2 20 map update files which are apparently OTA only right now.

Mine seems to have finally completed that download.

Tra1969

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor 501A and Tow
Occupation
Senior Manufacturing Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
9 files for the map, 3 for the voice nav, and the license.
Holy crap ? 1st one took forever. Second file just starting. But thanks for the info.

image.jpg

rparge

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat 4x4 Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired.
Thanks for that link, will try it soon, but note the conflicting directions.

1620336583353.png

In the past I have left the USB in when it said to remove it, but (rhetorical question) why can't the Sync Team get this message updated?
Well, the USB method was painless.

I did this in two phases.

1. Updated to 3.4.21020 that was downloaded from the Ford site, that went just over 25 minutes.

2. Used the Syn3 Updater from Cyanlabs to go to 2 20 maps.

If you do this, be sure and update this tool with your current SYNC version.

Took just under 50 minutes to update to the new maps, and there are progress screens now as the updates are running!

1620342209954.png

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
Mine has hung up a few times on start up. I do a reset and it comes back. Hope that issue goes away. No sound and can’t change station from steeering wheel.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
turning auto update off/on voodoo did nothing for me :)
Ditto here although I did already update to 21020 - I was hoping it would update the maps.

Cyanlabs will be the next attempt next week when I do my long drive.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Ditto here although I did already update to 21020 - I was hoping it would update the maps.

Cyanlabs will be the next attempt next week when I do my long drive.
Make sure you are in range of your wi-fi signal at home or wherever you connect.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Make sure you are in range of your wi-fi signal at home or wherever you connect.
Thanks for the suggestion. It shows the wifi signal when you are connected and I've made sure I had a connection before making my attempts. I also attempted it multiple times with no change in behavior.

Gizmokid2005

Threads
Reaction score
Website
gizmokid2005.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT 4X4 SCrew
Occupation
SQL Developer
Vehicle Showcase
Yes, as far as I know updates require wifi. I think the onboard cell service is just for basic stuff like starting the car with the app. I don't think they want to allow huge data transfers on that link.
The onboard cell service, truly, has nothing to do with Ford Pass connections. You don't need to have turned on, enabled, used, be paying for, etc the AT&T Data connection on your vehicle to use Ford Pass. They're separate entities from the Sync perspective.

It's likely that the reason you can't use the wifi network that the truck broadcasts is that there's only one wifi radio in the system and you can't broadcast and connect to another network with the same radio in the same device, thusly since the OTA uses wifi, it doesn't recognize the cell connection on its own.

Tom_C

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCab FX4
Occupation
System Admin
The onboard cell service, truly, has nothing to do with Ford Pass connections. You don't need to have turned on, enabled, used, be paying for, etc the AT&T Data connection on your vehicle to use Ford Pass. They're separate entities from the Sync perspective.

It's likely that the reason you can't use the wifi network that the truck broadcasts is that there's only one wifi radio in the system and you can't broadcast and connect to another network with the same radio in the same device, thusly since the OTA uses wifi, it doesn't recognize the cell connection on its own.
copy. Without knowing all the terminology, I may have misstated something.

but, the Ford app uses ‘something’ that’s not wifi, even if one doesn’t buy the at&t service, which I have not.
Sponsored