First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Well, the there is none inside the console under the armrest and I just checked my wife's Lariat and she has two USB-A and a 120V but no 12V in front of the rear seats. The USB-A may be 2A each (charge only), not a good basis for a high power phone charger under the center armrest unless one wants to take it all apart.
Coincidental timing.. I'm going to be adding a 12V socket to my console this weekend. I had it apart last weekend to scope everything out. Shouldn't be too crazy to add, but very DIY for sure.

My motivation for this is to keep my wife from leaving a fast charger plugged into the passenger 12V socket every time she decides that she needs to charge and use her phone at the same time on a road trip. I hate looking at it and the tip of the cable is always left dangling into mud and dirt on her side of the truck when she's not using it.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dave1899

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercrew Lariat 2WD
Occupation
Retired Living the Life
Coincidental timing.. I'm going to be adding a 12V socket to my console this weekend. I had it apart last weekend to scope everything out. Shouldn't be too crazy to add, but very DIY for sure.

My motivation for this is to keep my wife from leaving a fast charger plugged into the passenger 12V socket every time she decides that she needs to charge and user her phone at the same time on a road trip. I hate looking at it and the tip of the cable is always left dangling into mud and dirt on her side of the truck when she's not using it.
Would love to see what you come up with.

Dahctor

First Name
Chad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

My motivation for this is to keep my wife from leaving a fast charger plugged into the passenger 12V socket every time she decides that she needs to charge and user her phone at the same time on a road trip. I hate looking at it and the tip of the cable is always left dangling into mud and dirt on her side of the truck when she's not using it.
Pictures of the exploratory when you take it apart would be very welcome.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin

My motivation for this is to keep my wife from leaving a fast charger plugged into the passenger 12V socket every time she decides that she needs to charge and use her phone at the same time on a road trip. I hate looking at it and the tip of the cable is always left dangling into mud and dirt on her side of the truck when she's not using it.
Would love to see what you come up with.
Pictures of the exploratory when you take it apart would be very welcome.
So, this can be done very easily.. but I did it the hard way. I loosened the entire console so that it could be lifted up from the floor which allowed me to remove extra trim on the rear of the console. That involved revealing 2 hidden bolts in the front footwells, pulling the trim to the left and right of the front 12V sockets, pulling the panel that actually houses the front 12V sockets, pulling the panel that holds the front USB ports and buttons (auto start/stop, 4WD selector, etc), unbolting the shifter bracket, unbolting the console at the rear, unbolting the inner trim at the rear, and lifting the whole thing up. Now that I've installed my 12V socket, I would say that my process was totally unnecessary, and that the only trim that needs to be removed is the piece with the rear USB ports on it, which you can just pop off by hand like so:

Once that's off, you will see Ford's 12V to USB module, and some wiring for the 110V outlet. There are only really 2 possible locations* (see wiring for note on this) for 12V sockets, which are shown below (and as you can see, I've already got mine installed into one of them). Try to ignore that my console is lifted up:
1620505429839.png

I used a 1 and 1/8" hole saw bit. This is what it looked like on the inside afterwards:
1620505492847.png

Then I slid my 12V socket into the hole and used included the nut to secure it in place. I had to trim some of the plastic ribbing next to my hole in order for the nut to tighten flush. Here's the 12V socket installed:
1620505570259.png

As for wiring, you can simply tap into the wiring that feeds the 12V to USB module. Believe it or not the terminals and wires coming off of the 12V socket don't collide with the 110V outlet or prevent the trim from fitting afterwards. * I can't promise the same if you were to position your 12V socket on the left, as the leftmost USB port looks like it may infringe upon the space needed when everything's closed back up again.
1620505698726.png

1620505711334.png

1620505732482.png

End result:
1620505774082.png

1620505807949.png

1620505815908.png

Last edited:

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 2021 Audi Q5 PHEV
Thanks for sharing! Looks like it's reasonable easy to get 12V (or USB-A/USB-C QC) inside the console.

ROL929

First Name
Roland
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
IT Systems Analyst and DIYer
New member here. I found this forum after searching for some brilliant ideas about wirleess charging installations. I would like to inquire from Dirk if you still are making the panel? I am very interested in buying one from you.

It's unbelievable (as others have commented) that Ford did not come up with a solution for this. I have a new S21 Ultra 5G phone and without this panel, wireless charging is almost impossible.

I have the 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 with virtually all the available packages, but no wireless charging solution.

Dirk, please DM me if you can sell me one of your panels. Thank you for your brilliant solution.

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
New member here. I found this forum after searching for some brilliant ideas about wirleess charging installations. I would like to inquire from Dirk if you still are making the panel? I am very interested in buying one from you.

It's unbelievable (as others have commented) that Ford did not come up with a solution for this. I have a new S21 Ultra 5G phone and without this panel, wireless charging is almost impossible.

I have the 2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 with virtually all the available packages, but no wireless charging solution.

Dirk, please DM me if you can sell me one of your panels. Thank you for your brilliant solution.
DM send, thanks for asking and yes, I still make them and have spares available.

DirkM

First Name
Dirk
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
So, I'm experimenting with different 3D printer beds and found a textured one that is kind of interesting. It's not an option for the bracket with rails and the detached rails would not match the texture of the bracket but what do you guys think?
IMG_2694.jpeg

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
So, I'm experimenting with different 3D printer beds and found a textured one that is kind of interesting. It's not an option for the bracket with rails and the detached rails would not match the texture of the bracket but what do you guys think?
Looks Good!
How does the texture match that of the center console?

Adding paint would soften the texture.
Also a no sanding option!

SVTPaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger, 2004 SVT Cobra, 2008 Subaru STi
Occupation
Engineer
IMG_2694.jpeg
Looks like you might be able to come up with a texture that makes painting unnecessary...or at least minimize prep for paint. Nice.

ROBERTECOX

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger lariat 2wd sport pkg
Occupation
US ARMY (RETIRED)
Looks like you might be able to come up with a texture that makes painting unnecessary...or at least minimize prep for paint. Nice.
TBH I'm digging the unsanded, unpainted, crosshatched look

jerryj11

First Name
jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 roush ranger
Occupation
QC
new member here also. @DirkM can you message me and let me now how much it is for one of your 3D printed wireless charger trays?

Edit: I got the tray in the mail and it looks awesome! Thank you DirkM
Sponsored

Last edited: