Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercab Lariat FX4
Just do manual update on a zip file.
On my 4th time, it never confirms that's it's updating. so I give up after 10 minutes
Sponsored

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
On my 4th time, it never confirms that's it's updating. so I give up after 10 minutes
Are you creating the USB on a PC or Mac? Need to be sure that the USB is configured per the instructions.

Also, are the USB ports functional, such as able to read a phone or other USBs that are plugged in, charge, etc?

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
PC, followed the instructions and the ports do work, I"ll try it again on a long drive.

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Make sure the USB memory stick is formated as exFAT.
Yup, exFAT. The screen shows that a usb is detected, but never updating.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Yup, exFAT. The screen shows that a usb is detected, but never updating.
At this point I would recommend that you go to Cyanlabs.net and down load their Sync Updater software. The software allows you to select the region you live in, the version of Sync you want and the version of maps if you have nav. It will properly format the USB memory stick and down load the files directly to the memory stick. I used the updater software on my 17 Mustang several times and it worked perfectly every time, not true when trying to down load the files from Ford.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I've found the USB method ridiculously overcomplicated and unreliable. (It claims to need exfat, but the one time I did get it to work was with vfat. I think there may be some undocumented requirements on the partition structure, but I don't remember which combination worked. I don't understand how ford managed to make something that should be simple so hard--I've been deep in the guts of computer systems for decades, and can't think of any reason this can't work better than it does.) OTA worked fine, but does require a strong WiFi signal (even though it downloads ridiculously slowly), and took a few days, maybe a week, of driving & parking to get all the pieces. The truck also seems to be picky about what wifi access points it will work with; I had an older one covering the garage that worked fine with my phone but the truck just wouldn't download the update (would connect to wifi & get an IP, then just hang forever). Rearranged things to put a newer access point there and it started working immediately. Again, it's nuts that it's hard, but it's about par for the course for automakers.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I just use the Sync3updater app from Cyanlabs, as it seems to be the easiest and fastest way for me to update. I keep a dedicated USB thumb drive just for that purpose, and it has worked well each time without any issues. I even run it on a MacPro booted into Windows 10. I found the OTA update to be unreliable and if it does work takes a long time.

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
I just use the Sync3updater app from Cyanlabs, as it seems to be the easiest and fastest way for me to update. I keep a dedicated USB thumb drive just for that purpose, and it has worked well each time without any issues. I even run it on a MacPro booted into Windows 10. I found the OTA update to be unreliable and if it does work takes a long time.
Another vote for this route. While it isn't "official", I've done this like 3 times and it was as simple as it should be, not overly complicated like Ford makes it. Part of me thinks Ford makes the downloading harder than it should be so they can sell USB drives with the updates.

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks everyone for your help, it finally worked! I extracted the file to the usb, even though Ford said not to. The wife doesn't like the new style, she told me to install the old one back. :punch::lipssealed: Now to get the map updated from NA 1 17. :headbang:

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
Another vote for Sync3updater app from Cyanlabs. Super easy and thoughtless.

alcohenusa

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Retired
Thanks everyone for your help, it finally worked! I extracted the file to the usb, even though Ford said not to. The wife doesn't like the new style, she told me to install the old one back. :punch::lipssealed: Now to get the map updated from NA 1 17. :headbang:
Glad you got it done! When you do the maps, be sure to ignore the initial ‘complete’ messages. Leave the USB in until you get the complete message that stays on the screen and the system no longer restarts on its own. If you remove the USB too early, the nav voice commands and possibly other functions will not work.

The map update usually takes about an hour(+/-).

Ranger X3

First Name
Matthew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad you got it done! When you do the maps, be sure to ignore the initial ‘complete’ messages. Leave the USB in until you get the complete message that stays on the screen and the system no longer restarts on its own. If you remove the USB too early, the nav voice commands and possibly other functions will not work.

The map update usually takes about an hour(+/-).
Awesome thanks! I lost the email with the map update-sucks!