WTH

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
So... I began an update with the home network. I see stuff that I don't recognize. With that said- can't Ford allow these under normal driving conditions?
This has been multiple hours of trying to be compliant. I'm still trying...in my garage...to participate and be a loyal Ford owner. I cannot believe that it's so impossible, with any intent, to be so customer or owner not responsible.
Sponsored

Jim C

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger
mine worked on the wifi. i got things going after i put the truck in the garage & it was taking a long time so i went into the house, next morning it was all set

NickTheEnforcer

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4, 2020 Ford Escape Hybrid SE Sport AWD, 2009 Dodge Ram Big Horn Crew 4x4 HEMI
Occupation
Residential Construction Project Development & Purchasing.
if you dont have the sync 3 you cant update via the WiFi..It says so on fords sync update page, I think I just may flip for the $40 factory usb. I messed abound with trying to down load it and its not cooperating. So maybe I will then sell it to one of you all for $30..then you can sell it for $20..and so on? thoughts...then no one is out more than $10.

micl9

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Fx4 302A
Vehicle Showcase
I could never get my truck to connect to my WiFi, even added a mesh network hub in the garage!
Maybe my password is too long or has special characters, I don't know. I finally got it to work by turning on my guest network with no password - Success. And I was just able to find the update from my truck. Downloading now! The Ford instructions say that "the truck does not need to be RUNNING to complete the update." In my mind running and ON are 2 different things. From what I can tell so far the truck does not need to be ON (or RUNNING LOL) to complete the update! Just to clarify to anyone wondering.

I do need to leave my garage door open though as the big Aluminum obstruction pretty much kills the wifi signal, like many of us my truck is not allowed in the garage!

EDIT/UPDATE
Well it disconnected after 20 or so minutes, maybe 25% complete. Turned truck on, reconnected and turned off, still connected for now...

Last edited:

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
I could never get my truck to connect to my WiFi, even added a mesh network hub in the garage!
Maybe my password is too long or has special characters, I don't know. I finally got it to work by turning on my guest network with no password - Success. And I was just able to find the update from my truck. Downloading now! The Ford instructions say that "the truck does not need to be RUNNING to complete the update." In my mind running and ON are 2 different things. From what I can tell so far the truck does not need to be ON (or RUNNING LOL) to complete the update! Just to clarify to anyone wondering.

I do need to leave my garage door open though as the big Aluminum obstruction pretty much kills the wifi signal, like many of us my truck is not allowed in the garage!
Not allowed in the garage!!!
What!!??

OP
OP
ryyck

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
First time for me...
I tried the WiFi, and it worked.
I had to cycle the 30 minute window a couple of times, but downloaded a couple of files. I finished the Sync and the map files.
Ranger was off, in the garage, I was putzing around doing other things.
I think I'll spend the 40 bucks on beer while I do the update.
Good luck.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
This. It'll download the update in chunks until it has the whole update, and then it will apply the update.

So basically just park near WiFi when you can and each time you do it'll spend up to 30 minutes downloading what it needs until it has the whole update and applies it.

OP
OP
ryyck

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
This. It'll download the update in chunks until it has the whole update, and then it will apply the update.

So basically just park near WiFi when you can and each time you do it'll spend up to 30 minutes downloading what it needs until it has the whole update and applies it.
Yup....

But today I went out to get the Ranger state inspected...and lost Sirius.

Anybody else run into this?

tlz

First Name
Tl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Yup....

But today I went out to get the Ranger state inspected...and lost Sirius.

Anybody else run into this?

I had some weird crap go on with my Sirius after the update also. Still have it, but the display is different, lost my presets, and the new display is a pain in the ass to navigate!!!!

RangerPNW

First Name
Thomas
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Project Manager
My install over USB was a mess...plugged it in on my way to work and let it go since online it says you can do it as you drive. So threw it in, got a message saying it was updating. At one point I turned off my music, and it appeared to stop the update...thought it was weird but figured I'd dick with it later that evening when i had time. So got to work turned it off, did an errand at lunch, nothing had changed so thought whatever.

Went to go home, and the screen was just off, light rings around the USB ports below were off...Figured it'd turn on eventually, gave it a good ten minute with no signs of life. Finally figured out the manual reset button combo, thing booted up into the updated SYNC, but then required another 15 minutes before it was usable...Seemed to work fine after that, but i dunno...didn't inspire me with a lot of confidence after that whole ordeal

OP
OP
ryyck

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
My install over USB was a mess...plugged it in on my way to work and let it go since online it says you can do it as you drive. So threw it in, got a message saying it was updating. At one point I turned off my music, and it appeared to stop the update...thought it was weird but figured I'd dick with it later that evening when i had time. So got to work turned it off, did an errand at lunch, nothing had changed so thought whatever.

Went to go home, and the screen was just off, light rings around the USB ports below were off...Figured it'd turn on eventually, gave it a good ten minute with no signs of life. Finally figured out the manual reset button combo, thing booted up into the updated SYNC, but then required another 15 minutes before it was usable...Seemed to work fine after that, but i dunno...didn't inspire me with a lot of confidence after that whole ordeal
I figured I'd try an easy fix for the Sirius...called the company and went through a signal resend.
That worked great. Then I found another update and back to the WiFi routine.
The Ranger wants to turn itself off every few minutes, probably because I left the truck off.
I'll keep playing with that...I'm retired. But it's frustrating...

RickB

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Absolute Black Ranger
Occupation
Aviation
So... I began an update with the home network. I see stuff that I don't recognize. With that said- can't Ford allow these under normal driving conditions?
This has been multiple hours of trying to be compliant. I'm still trying...in my garage...to participate and be a loyal Ford owner. I cannot believe that it's so impossible, with any intent, to be so customer or owner not responsible.
I second the thought of using the USB. I could never get Wifi to work, went to USB and was finished in 15 minutes.

OP
OP
ryyck

ryyck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
I second the thought of using the USB. I could never get Wifi to work, went to USB and was finished in 15 minutes.
I used USB for the Synch. I never could find any other files to use with the USB...only by scanning from the Ranger. But these I can't complete because the Ranger shuts off.
Sponsored