First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Altitude is not a factor in GCWR. The axles don’t know anything about altitude. Altitude will effect engine performance, but not weight rating.
Well, I suggest you read your manual for your truck where it specifically states to reduce the GCWR by 3% for every 1,000 ft. The amount of weight the engine can pull, especially up a grade is directly related to its performance ability, which has you admitted is a impacted by altitude.
Sponsored

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Well, I suggest you read your manual for your truck where it specifically states to reduce the GCWR by 3% for every 1,000 ft. The amount of weight the engine can pull, especially up a grade is directly related to its performance ability, which has you admitted is a impacted by altitude.
Engine performance is not the limiting factor with the Ranger. That can even be drastically improved with a couple keystrokes.

Why is Ford the only manufacturer that mentions altitude while towing?

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Engine performance is not the limiting factor with the Ranger. That can even be drastically improved with a couple keystrokes.

Why is Ford the only manufacturer that mentions altitude while towing?
It's not engine power, it is the ability to shed the heat at higher altitudes. If you designed a cooling stack that would cool at 10,000 feet at full load and full power you'd either never be able to fit it inside the truck or it would be uneconomical (all to appease a small % of the market). Higher altitude, less dense air, less available to pull heat from the stack. Instead, they cover their bases by 'derating' the GVWR. Engine doing less work = engine making less heat.

Turbochargers largely take care of the power issue at altitude.

As to why other manufs don't do it? No idea. Many of them are NA engines, so they will be making less power at altitude, that is probably at least some of the reason.

Last edited:

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
It's not engine power, it is the ability to shed the heat at higher altitudes. If you designed a cooling stack that would cool at 10,000 feet at full load and full power you'd either never be able to fit it inside the truck or it would be uneconomical (all to appease a small % of the market). Higher altitude, less dense air, less available to pull heat from the stack. Instead, they cover their bases by 'derating' the GVWR. Engine doing less work = engine making less heat.

Turbochargers largely take care of the power issue at altitude.

As to why other manufs don't do it? No idea. Many of them are NA engines, so they will be making less power at altitude, that is probably at least some of the reason.
I didn’t say engine power, but rather engine performance. This is a new factor to me but seems like it’s still under the same umbrella.

Either way, I’m no expert here. Mostly repeating stuff that smart guys have said that sounds reasonable to me. But if you are worried about a couple hundred pounds effecting your tow capacity at higher altitudes, then you’re probably not comfortable towing that. So don’t.

N559br

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4
Occupation
Retired
26' Carolina skiff ultra elite, Suzuki 300ap outboard, now mount trolling motor, 5 (yes 5) group 29 lead acid batteries. Aluminum I beam trailer. Single axle surge brakes. Best guess around 6200 pounds with full fuel (80 gals) and full fishing load.

PXL_20220825_203455038.jpg

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
I posted that just to be silly,,, although we are consider assembling a setup like that for temp storage which will be moved twice a year. The one seen had a mobile home style hitch on it.

houseOfDogs

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Super Cab
Occupation
Retired Techie
Just bought a horse trailer to tow with my new 2022 Lariat I pick up next month from Granger. I'm in CA, will fly to Des Moines, get the truck, and swing thru Oklahoma to get the trailer on the way home.

Truck:

ranger.png

Trailer:

IMG_5812.jpeg

IMG_6036.jpeg

IMG_6037.jpeg

IMG_5808.jpeg

Supposedly, this last image looks silver, but the first two images are supposed to more fairly represent the color. To be honest, either way, the trailer should look good.

Lucked into availability and the color as I've been trying to find an in stock trailer on the drive home that wasn't breaking the bank $ wise.

And right now, we don't even have a horse yet - do have a barn and sheep for herding with our dogs.