First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Does anyone else tack weld the nut to the draw bar? I saw a security demonstration put on by a PD where they were talking about trailer thefts. You can put any draw bar and tongue lock you want on your trailer but all you have to do is just take the chains off put a wrench on the nut on the bottom of the ball. Move it over to another draw bar and just tow the trailer away.
I have a Blue Ox setup
The ball nut is recessed and no way you can get a wrench on it, and even if you could hand wrench it, your gonna have to be the Hulk to get it off.
Had to use an air impact with a 750 ft lb and impact socket to get it tight enough.
Sponsored

KA5CVH

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ka5cvh.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Inspector
Had to use an air impact with a 750 ft lb and impact socket to get it tight enough.

Not everyone is that disciplined ... or at least not until they've had a trailer stolen.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.

Not everyone is that disciplined ... or at least not until they've had a trailer stolen.
For the hitch ball on mine, required a 450-500 ft lb torque. Used my Milwaukee air to tighten

JDowns

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Tremor
I’ve tried Duluth Trading but have since gone back to good ole fashioned Hanes.

since I’m getting older and gravity is wearing in I am looking for a good supplier with sway control.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Oh wow! Never thought of taking off the ball, well, not perfect anti theft devices, i do know, we try and box in the trailer. I dont know of any place where trailers of any kind are not a hot commodity

Jedadiah

First Name
Jed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercab 4x2
The two trailers I use most work fine with a 4" drop--flat if there is a load on the trailer.

If I had a trailer that needed a different height, I guess I'd just buy a simple ball mount for that trailer. I'd have to pull a lot of different height trailers to justify the cost and bulk of the adjustable ones. I'm sure there are a lot of people who would benefit though.

I guess undoing the hitch ball would be the easiest way to steal a trailer. Slightly easier than using a cordless grinder to just cut the locks off. Not sure I have any way to prevent either one.

When they're not attached to my truck, I just make sure that my trailers are a little harder to take than someone else's. Coupler locks and chained to something. Most of the trailers on my street are just sitting in driveways ready to hook up.
Sponsored

Last edited: