Time to bug you guys/gals for another question.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Just a side note. Forest River includes propane in their weight, Jayco does not. Splitting hairs I know.
Sponsored

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
Now, add to that any weight that is placed forward of the axles,,,,food, dishes, cookware, and dozens of other items that will be stored in cabinets. All that gets added to the tongue weight.
Well, no not completely accurate. Part of the weight added forward of the axle will be added to the tongue weight, but not all. If you have 20 feet between hitch and front trailer axle, and you add 200 pounds 10 feet in front of the axle the weight will be split between axle and hitch.

The farther forward, the more weight on the hitch. Farther back, less weight on the hitch. Adding 200 pound 1 foot in front of the axle will add almost nothing to tongue weight.

I know you understand this, and I'm really not being picky, just expanding on your point for general information.

For anyone thinking more weight behind the axle to reduce tongue weight is the answer, no, that is a terrible idea as well.

Here is a video demonstrating the effects of trailer weight distribution.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Well, no not completely accurate. Part of the weight added forward of the axle will be added to the tongue weight, but not all. If you have 20 feet between hitch and front trailer axle, and you add 200 pounds 10 feet in front of the axle the weight will be split between axle and hitch.

The farther forward, the more weight on the hitch. Farther back, less weight on the hitch. Adding 200 pound 1 foot in front of the axle will add almost nothing to tongue weight.

I know you understand this, and I'm really not being picky, just expanding on your point for general information.

For anyone thinking more weight behind the axle to reduce tongue weight is the answer, no, that is a terrible idea as well.

Here is a video demonstrating the effects of trailer weight distribution.

I post in general terms when answering questions. Yes, I am aware of weight placement over the axle, in front of the axle and all the way forward toward the hitch point.
But to explain that to someone who is not familiar with hitch/tongue weight and how its measured is really being "picky".
In general terms, given what the OP posted and the weights given, it is safe for me to say that without a doubt, the tongue weight would be way over the 750 lb limit. Was just trying to put it into terms that would be easily understood.
I could have just as easily not posted anything about weights and advised him to "go for it".

JACKSMYDOG

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4 Black
Occupation
Retired
I post in general terms when answering questions. Yes, I am aware of weight placement over the axle, in front of the axle and all the way forward toward the hitch point.
But to explain that to someone who is not familiar with hitch/tongue weight and how its measured is really being "picky".
In general terms, given what the OP posted and the weights given, it is safe for me to say that without a doubt, the tongue weight would be way over the 750 lb limit. Was just trying to put it into terms that would be easily understood.
I could have just as easily not posted anything about weights and advised him to "go for it".
A agree the op situation is too heavy, and that the propane/batteries are almost full weight on the hitch, but like I said just clarifying for other that not all weight in front of the axle equates to hitch weight. It may not be relavant to the OP situation, but lots of other will read tses posts instead of posting their own questions and giving them as much info as possible is a good thing.

Also like I said, I know you knew this, it really was for others, and no, not being picky.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
A agree the op situation is too heavy, and that the propane/batteries are almost full weight on the hitch, but like I said just clarifying for other that not all weight in front of the axle equates to hitch weight. It may not be relavant to the OP situation, but lots of other will read tses posts instead of posting their own questions and giving them as much info as possible is a good thing.

Also like I said, I know you knew this, it really was for others, and no, not being picky.
This is exactly why you need to weigh your loaded trailer so you know where you stand and can adjust weight distribution if needed. You also need to consider the location of holding tanks and the effect that they have. Towing with them empty is always best but partial can cause sloshing issue that can lead to sway.

Towing at or near max. weights takes a lot of thought and planning. Not to be taken lightly.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Last edited:
OP
OP
SteveH

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco sport. 2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Master technician
OP
OP
SteveH

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Master technician
This might be a better choice.

VIN:4X4TRPV21NB029499
Condition:new
Year:2022
Manufacturer:Forest River
Model:RP-202
Floor Length:25' or 300.00"
GVWR:6485 lbs
Payload Capacity:1911 lbs
Sleeps:4
Slideouts:1
Dry weight:4,574
Hitch weight:485
Furnace BTU:20,000
AC BTU:13,500
Number of Awnings:1
Awning Size:12

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Much better choice. As long as you load it keeping items as light as possible, you'll be ok. The lower initial hitch weight gives you some "wiggle room" as to carrying "stuff".
It will also allow you to carry some heavier items in the truck bed without going over the gcvwr.
I looked at the specs and features and it indicates that the empty weight and tongue weight were taken with a full 20 lb propane tank and an installed battery. If that is true, than it would be a nice choice without fear of exceeding the Rangers ratings.
Your still going to need a wd hitch set up, so figure an extra $500-$600 plus for a quality set up, and of course a brake controller.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SteveH

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Master technician
Much better choice. As long as you load it keeping items as light as possible, you'll be ok. The lower initial hitch weight gives you some "wiggle room" as to carrying "stuff".
It will also allow you to carry some heavier items in the truck bed without going over the gcvwr.
Your still going to need a wd hitch set up, so figure an extra $500-$600 plus for a quality set up, and of course a brake controller.
Thanks. I like this much better too. The cost is more. But manageable. I'm thinking around 1500.00 for the brake control install and the WD hitch. Thinking 1000/10,000 rated WD one.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Thanks. I like this much better too. The cost is more. But manageable. I'm thinking around 1500.00 for the brake control install and the WD hitch. Thinking 1000/10,000 rated WD one.
You don't want to go too heavy with the wd hitch.. the bars need to flex a bit...going too heavy or "stiff" is just as bad as too light a set up. If it were mine, I'd probably go with a set up with 750 lb bar rating. Figure after you load your rig the tongue will be around 600 lbs, maybe as high as 650, as the storage compartment is up front and you'll be packing it.

OP
OP
SteveH

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Master technician
You don't want to go too heavy with the wd hitch.. the bars need to flex a bit...going too heavy or "stiff" is just as bad as too light a set up. If it were mine, I'd probably go with a set up with 750 lb bar rating. Figure after you load your rig the tongue will be around 600 lbs, maybe as high as 650, as the storage compartment is up front and you'll be packing it.
Good point. Thank you!

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Picking out, installing a wd set up id different for each rig. I would suggest you got to ETrailer's web site. They are probably the best in the business with knowledge of the systems. You can get an idea of prices, and they have some excellent "how to" video's on picking and setting up hitches.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
I understand the 7500 pounds includes people in the truck anything in the bed, The hitch weight, all accessories added to the truck and beer. So add them up carefully.
Sponsored