What ball mounts are you guys running?

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SuperCrew FX4
I'm thinking of picking up one of those solid aluminum ball mounts for my ranger like this ( https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Fastway/DTBM5600.html ). But figured I would see what you guys were using. Looks like I'm going to need a 6" drop for the trailer I use the most. Also what are your thoughts on an aluminum ball mount? Hoping to reduce the rust and keep it looking nice.
Sponsored

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
The picture in the reviews of a broken one scares me away from aluminum.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I'm thinking of picking up one of those solid aluminum ball mounts for my ranger like this ( https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Fastway/DTBM5600.html ). But figured I would see what you guys were using. Looks like I'm going to need a 6" drop for the trailer I use the most. Also what are your thoughts on an aluminum ball mount? Hoping to reduce the rust and keep it looking nice.
My brother and I use this type. https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Andersen/AM3411.html

OP
OP
Lunchbox88

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The picture in the reviews of a broken one scares me away from aluminum.
I saw that. But looking at the picture it seems it was quite abused. Possible the wrong sized ball shank plus it was torqued down so much it cratered out the aluminum. A data point to look at none the less.

MT19RANGER

First Name
JERRY
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Oilfield Service Company Area Supervisor
Vehicle Showcase
I do really like the idea of having the adjustability of that style. Does it rattle alot?
That's why I got it, adjustability and it seems to be quieter than a full steel one.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
This what I use. I don't do a lot of towing so I'm not worried about adjustability just yet. If I do get a boat or camper, I'll revisit the ball mount.
Screenshot_20190702-132641.png

OP
OP
Lunchbox88

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
This what I use. I don't do a lot of towing so I'm not worried about adjustability just yet. If I do get a boat or camper, I'll revisit the ball mount.
Is the 2" drop enough for you? With as high as my ranger is l think I need a 6". But Im just towing a 10' utility trailer most times.

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
Here is what I have. I would not trust my 7000 pound trailer to aluminum. It is a 6-inch drop with large ball. If I were planning to tow a variety of trailers that were lighter I might consider the adjustable aluminum. The items in the picture are dedicated to my cargo trailer.

trailer ball.jpg

Last edited:

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
Is the 2" drop enough for you? With as high as my ranger is l think I need a 6". But Im just towing a 10' utility trailer most times.
Probably not but like I said, I don't tow often enough to worry about it.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi Folks,

No opinion on this other than to understand how they tested the Aluminum drop to obtain these ratings. What material did they use? Heat Treated? How did they conclude 10,000 Lbs rating...If they use the standard testing protocols, then go for it.. Personally, for my towing I would stick with Reese or other name brand products at this juncture. Aluminum just does not have the cyclic fatigue of its steel counterparts, but may be good for towing pop up trailers. Tow my Ranger behind my diesel pusher motor home with this bracket....absolutely not even if it is rated to do so... What is next...composite drops? Carbon fiber is stronger than steel, eh? As one of my engineers, dearly departed now, said...There are two types of plastic in this world...Broken and About to be Broken...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retired

DrRoger

First Name
Roger
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Taurus, 2019 Ranger XL (May 20)
Occupation
Retired
OP
OP
Lunchbox88

Lunchbox88

First Name
Logan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hi Folks,

No opinion on this other than to understand how they tested the Aluminum drop to obtain these ratings. What material did they use? Heat Treated? How did they conclude 10,000 Lbs rating...If they use the standard testing protocols, then go for it.. Personally, for my towing I would stick with Reese or other name brand products at this juncture. Aluminum just does not have the cyclic fatigue of its steel counterparts, but may be good for towing pop up trailers. Tow my Ranger behind my diesel pusher motor home with this bracket....absolutely not even if it is rated to do so... What is next...composite drops? Carbon fiber is stronger than steel, eh? As one of my engineers, dearly departed now, said...There are two types of plastic in this world...Broken and About to be Broken...

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Phil,
I would assume if it passes SAE J684 that its certified load rating should be good to go as long as used within it specified limits? Though not having any specific expertise in materials science or fatigue testing I would also agree steel in general will perform better than aluminum in those situations.
That said I think I think Im going to go with a 1 piece forged steel one like this: https://www.etrailer.com/Ball-Mounts/Curt/C45342.html
Its a bit cheaper and the extra load rating is nice to have. I just hate how rusty they always get.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hi LB,

I agree that meeting an SAE requirement is a good thing...So then the manufacturer should state this. That gives much more confidence. We, at Ford, could not ever test all conditions of aftermarket pieces, so thankfully, SAE develops these standards. That said, Ford requirements are, in many cases, more stringent than SAE. Aluminum as its place in automobiles, but I hold reserve when it comes to Trailer Tow. Really do not understand why Aluminum would be better as the grander scheme of weight savings as it is minimal for such a small piece, unless appearance is the key driver for purchasing?. Sort of picking the fly $hit out of the pepper IMO.

best,
Phil Schilke
Ford Motor Co. Retired
Sponsored