First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I've seen this topic mentioned in various threads, but thought I'd start one to get the information in one place.

Seeing the size of travel trailers a lot of people are towing, which is a little scary IMHO. I got to wondering what they are doing for mirrors. Since Ford gave us the capability to pull these big trailers and left us with no factory option for mirrors. BLIS is not an acceptable alternative to mirrors, it does not work with the width and length of these trailers. Even pulling my Rpod, which is narrower than most, the mirrors are useless in seeing the back of the trailer and forget about if someone is close behind you.

What are the people pulling these big trailers using?
Sponsored

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Administrator
My factory mirrors, Rear camera system on the trailer, and BLIS, combined with a double look-back every time I make a move provides all I need pulling my NuCamp T@b400 (which is just a tad over 18' long). My wife and I did some pretty extensive testing with mirror positioning and second car drive-by's in the school parking lot to ensure we can see everything. The key is direct the mirrors to look further outside of the truck. There is no need to see any of the paint on the truck... It totally goes AGAINST how they taught us to adjust our mirrors 35 years ago, but it removes soooo much more blindspot.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
My factory mirrors, Rear camera system on the trailer, and BLIS, combined with a double look-back every time I make a move provides all I need pulling my NuCamp T@b400 (which is just a tad over 18' long). My wife and I did some pretty extensive testing with mirror positioning and second car drive-by's in the school parking lot to ensure we can see everything. The key is direct the mirrors to look further outside of the truck. There is no need to see any of the paint on the truck... It totally goes AGAINST how they taught us to adjust our mirrors 35 years ago, but it removes soooo much more blindspot.
This has always worked for me in previous trucks. Although I like to see some paint while daily driving. I back into a fairly tight parking space daily, my garage.

OP, when you say BLIS doesn't work are you programming in the trailer length?

Curious as my first tow with the Ranger will be Sat.

OP
OP
Big Blue

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Having a rear camera is a big plus. Been thinking about one for my Rpod.

Why do people with little cars seem to like to tuck in close behind a trailer where you can't see them. I have a set of clamp on mirrors that stick out farther so I can at least see around the trailer a little bit.

Other than being taller my Rpod is similar in footprint. I really wonder what people pulling these longer wider trailers are doing. BLIS doesn't work well if at all on a trail wider than the truck, neither do the factory mirrors.

In other countries they have laws regarding tow mirrors that you can be ticketed and fined for violating. That's why they make extendable tow mirrors to fit the ROW Rangers. They will fit our trucks but the wiring is different and the don't have BLIS. Someone contacted them about mirrors for US Rangers but they sited lack of demand. Really, with our towing capacity?

sbreech

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Systems Administrator
Having a rear camera is a big plus. Been thinking about one for my Rpod.

Why do people with little cars seem to like to tuck in close behind a trailer where you can't see them. I have a set of clamp on mirrors that stick out farther so I can at least see around the trailer a little bit.

Other than being taller my Rpod is similar in footprint. I really wonder what people pulling these longer wider trailers are doing. BLIS doesn't work well if at all on a trail wider than the truck, neither do the factory mirrors.

In other countries they have laws regarding tow mirrors that you can be ticketed and fined for violating. That's why they make extendable tow mirrors to fit the ROW Rangers. They will fit our trucks but the wiring is different and the don't have BLIS. Someone contacted them about mirrors for US Rangers but they sited lack of demand. Really, with our towing capacity?
Regarding the smaller cars tucking in, they are either ignorant of the dangers or are trying to hyper-mile (which is also being ignorant of the dangers).

For the backward facing camera, I use a raspberry Pi 4 (the same one that I use for my KODI, RetroPie, and Plex Server while camping), and an app on my spare android phone called RearPi. It gives me an 8megapixel cam view, and it is a wide angle lens. I cannot stand not knowing if somebody is behind me.

For your Rpod, bump your mirrors out a bit more so the inside edge sees the leading edge of the camper. You should be able to see then entire lane to the left and right of the camper and truck from about the rear window back...and a look left and right will reveal anything right next to your front doors (as will BLIS). To be totally honest, I don't change the mirrors back any more - since it works just as well without the camper. With no camper, I don't need the camera, since the 2 mirrors and the rear view mirror, when set up properly, give almost a panoramic view from one lane left, behind me, and one lane to the right.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
With the many U-haul trailers I have puller with my truck i have yet to have the problem you speak of. Also the BLIS is only for side Blind spot. Not you can get over safely now. Most people seem to get that a bit mixed up.

Don B.

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
We tried what we thought were some nice clamp-on mirrors that were not huge - maybe half the size of the Ranger mirrors. I was very happy with how solid they were clamped on. Seemed like a great design. When we got to 65 mph, the wind on them made the Ranger mirrors fold back. Seconds later, the trailer mirrors both flew off. We were not on a stretch of road where we could do anything but pretend nothing happened. ?
We've towed our Epro 19FD for several thousand miles now without additional mirrors and, as was mentioned, the stock mirrors, BLIS, rear camera, and common sense seem to be quite adequate.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Why do people with little cars seem to like to tuck in close behind a trailer where you can't see them
When ever I am towing & some idiot gets that close in behind me I like to ride the brake enough to make the brake lights come on. They seem to move out of they way very quickly. :LOL:

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I have a set of clamp on mirrors that stick out farther so I can at least see around the trailer a little bit.
Do you have a link to the clip-on mirrors you use? You sound happy with how they function.

We tried what we thought were some nice clamp-on mirrors that were not huge - maybe half the size of the Ranger mirrors. I was very happy with how solid they were clamped on. Seemed like a great design. When we got to 65 mph, the wind on them made the Ranger mirrors fold back. Seconds later, the trailer mirrors both flew off.
Sounds like I do not want the clip-on mirrors you had. Which ones were they?

OP
OP
Big Blue

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Do you have a link to the clip-on mirrors you use? You sound happy with how they function.

Sounds like I do not want the clip-on mirrors you had. Which ones were they?
These are the ones i'm using. Haven't had any issues with mirrors folding back at highway speeds. Some vibration but nothing i can't live with. They get out wide enough that I can see a little around behind my trailer. Little pricier than the CIPAs mentioned above and may not go out as far, but they work for me. You can only go out so far before the wind load will fold your mirror in. The may be the issue with the CIPAs

• 8105FYffG9L._AC_SX679_.jpg
https://smile.amazon.com/Milenco-MI...94205&sprefix=trailer+mirrors,aps,201&sr=8-92

Walkeraviator

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Crew
Vehicle Showcase
I use the strap on type mirror. They take some time to get adjusted right, and I have to check and occasionally re-tighten when I’m refueling, but they get the job done. I like that I have three mirrors per side. Factory mirrors get aimed down so I can see where my tires are. Bigger lens of aux mirror let’s me see right down the sides of my trailer, and the smaller convex ones are aimed out into my blind spot.

Additionally, BLIS works perfect with my 8’ wide 25‘ long camper. Did lots of testing on open highway with my wife following in her Explorer.

going to add rear and side cameras before this camping season for even more awareness

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00R5Y8IOO/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_0E0CGMEDZTE6GMV2GRJV?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Moorenate92

First Name
Nate
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 4x4 Lariat tow package
Occupation
Technology teacher
The BLIS never asked me for length of my Trailer, just asked if my trailer was wider than 8 feet. I clicked yes, and that was it. I am not sure it works properly. Can anyone advise me if I am doing that right?

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
The BLIS never asked me for length of my Trailer, just asked if my trailer was wider than 8 feet. I clicked yes, and that was it. I am not sure it works properly. Can anyone advise me if I am doing that right?
Remember Bliss is blind spot indicator system. Not oh hey the person is behind me far enough I can get over safely enough system. Don't ever get that confused between each other
Sponsored