Trailer Camping - What are you towing off road and do you like it?

jeffe

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'98 Lincoln MK VIII, '19 Ranger XLT, Magnetic, 2WD CC, Sport pkg, towing pkg, rear locker.
Occupation
CPO, USN Retired, Retired AT&T Field Tech
The Casita has moved on to new owners. The new rig is a 19' 2021 Intech Sol Horizon Rover.

20230523_110617[1].jpg

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
The Casita has moved on to new owners. The new rig is a 19' 2021 Intech Sol Horizon Rover.

20230523_110617[1].jpg
I looked at those, interesting design and the one I saw had a capsule enclosed wet bath. nice

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Ranger 2.jpg

Ranger 2.jpg
Ranger 3.jpg

The Ranger is great for hauling. Most half tons i pass have smaller trailers, some 3/4 tons and 1 tons too. 25' light weight grey wolf. Love the truck!
Which model is that?

Reactions: Doc

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Ranger 2.jpg

Ranger 2.jpg
Ranger 3.jpg

The Ranger is great for hauling. Most half tons i pass have smaller trailers, some 3/4 tons and 1 tons too. 25' light weight grey wolf. Love the truck!
I guess you throw all the gear in the trailer, camper shell plus trailer tongue weight can't leave much payload left for more than a couple passengers on the Tremor. I'm guessing maybe 400-500lb would be left and you have still put people in the truck.

EDIT: updated after seeing model and getting those specs for better numbers, a little better than I first thought. Still if using a lot of the trailer's payload could get to maybe under 300lb left of the truck's payload if tongue weight nears its max (750lb)

Last edited:

Forest Ranger

First Name
Kory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
I guess you throw all the gear in the trailer, camper shell plus trailer tongue weight can't leave much payload left for more than a couple passengers on the Tremor. I'm guessing maybe 400-500lb would be left and you have still put people in the truck.

EDIT: updated after seeing model and getting those specs for better numbers, a little better than I first thought. Still if using a lot of the trailer's payload could get to maybe under 300lb left of the truck's payload if tongue weight nears its max (750lb)
Just the wife and me and a couple of pups. I load up the bed with all the goodies. Haven't had any issues and I have a WDH. It drives nicely loaded up with all my gear for camping. I have put about 5,000km on this summer towing without any issues.

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computers
WDH does not change the payload allowance of the truck or tongue weight allowance. Just check your weights and be safe.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
WDH does not change the payload allowance of the truck or tongue weight allowance. Just check your weights and be safe.
Everyone hauls LOTS more stuff along than they imagine. We stay well below max vehicle capasity. Being close to it is not fun nor safe.

Forest Ranger

First Name
Kory
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Everyone hauls LOTS more stuff along than they imagine. We stay well below max vehicle capasity. Being close to it is not fun nor safe.
I understand the purpose of a WDH. It helps distribute the weight of the trailer and therefore helps with the tongue load on the truck. They have buffers for people like me. I am within the limit, but use my Ranger to its full potential. If it wasn't safe, you would feel it on the road. The trucks are capable of hauling way more than the posted limit ;)

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Computers
I understand the purpose of a WDH. It helps distribute the weight of the trailer and therefore helps with the tongue load on the truck. They have buffers for people like me. I am within the limit, but use my Ranger to its full potential. If it wasn't safe, you would feel it on the road. The trucks are capable of hauling way more than the posted limit ;)
WHD does not help with tongue load, it just helps project that weight forward to the front axle so you don't get too light on the steering axle. Whatever the tongue weight was before connecting the bars is still the weight against your payload. Put your rig as towed with all passengers in it on a scale to see the real numbers. I would love to see that and the payload sticker for your truck.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Before this conversation get anymore heated. I don't think anyone is saying that @Forest Ranger is towing unsafe. The point is anyone towing near max ratings really needs to have his setup weighed as loaded. That is the only way to know you are actually within the ratings. And, that means ALL of them including axle weight ratings. Unloaded weights mean nothing and guessing at loaded weights is foolish when towing near max.

Yes, a WDH distributes the hitch weight, but it does not change it. And yes there are buffers, but playing that game is asking with trouble if something happens.
Sponsored