Time to bug you guys/gals for another question.

raytwntrvlr

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
retired
This might be a better choice.

VIN:4X4TRPV21NB029499
Condition:new
Year:2022
Manufacturer:Forest River
Model:RP-202
Floor Length:25' or 300.00"
GVWR:6485 lbs
Payload Capacity:1911 lbs
Sleeps:4
Slideouts:1
Dry weight:4,574
Hitch weight:485
Furnace BTU:20,000
AC BTU:13,500
Number of Awnings:1
Awning Size:12
Just a word of advice from a long-time RVer try to get them to upgrade you to a 15,000 BTU A/C.
You will not be sorry. Whatever you decide on. Have fun and be safe. Welcome to RVing.
Sponsored

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
I understand the 7500 pounds includes people in the truck anything in the bed, The hitch weight, all accessories added to the truck and beer. So add them up carefully.
Not true those things are all included in the trucks payload number along with tongue weight. The 7500 pounds rating is the total weight of the trailer and anything in it. The Gross Vehicle Weight of the truck, the Gross Vehicle Weight of the trailer, the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight and the Tongue Weight are the numbers you need to be concerned about.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2022 Black Lariat Crew , 1966 Chevrolet Biscayne
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
Not true those things are all included in the trucks payload number along with tongue weight. The 7500 pounds rating is the total weight of the trailer and anything in it. The Gross Vehicle Weight of the truck, the Gross Vehicle Weight of the trailer, the Gross Combined Vehicle Weight and the Tongue Weight are the numbers you need to be concerned about.
You had better read the Ford towing guide. Max towing is based on vehicle configuration, accessories added, cargo, and number of passengers. Any added weight is subtracted from the 7500 pounds. There also are max axle weights that cannot be exceeded. I towed camping trailers for years and know the dry weight doesn't include many things. Such as the ac unit on the roof, awning, the spare tire and bracket, leveling Jack's and the 10 gallons of water in the waterheater on most units. Throw in 100 pounds for a hitch, a bicycle rack and 2 bikes, canoe and accessories on the roof and it adds up quickly. I went through this with a Dutchman trailer and was amazed by what everything that went into it weighed when we actually started with empty weight on accurate truck scales and weighed everything else that went into it or on it. Better to be on the safe side without floaters.
The max combined weight rating of mine is 12,500 pounds. The max weight rating is 6,050 so that leaves 6,450 pounds max for a trailer if my truck has 1513 pounds of passengers, load, and tongue weight.

Last edited:

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Super Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
A truly interesting topic. Don't be this guy - don't know the details.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You had better read the Ford towing guide. Max towing is based on vehicle configuration, accessories added, cargo, and number of passengers. Any added weight is subtracted from the 7500 pounds. There also are max axle weights that cannot be exceeded. I towed camping trailers for years and know the dry weight doesn't include many things. Such as the ac unit on the roof, awning, the spare tire and bracket, leveling Jack's and the 10 gallons of water in the waterheater on most units. Throw in 100 pounds for a hitch, a bicycle rack and 2 bikes, canoe and accessories on the roof and it adds up quickly. I went through this with a Dutchman trailer and was amazed by what everything that went into it weighed when we actually started with empty weight on accurate truck scales and weighed everything else that went into it or on it. Better to be on the safe side without floaters.
The max combined weight rating of mine is 12,500 pounds. The max weight rating is 6,050 so that leaves 6,450 pounds max for a trailer if my truck has 1513 pounds of passengers, load, and tongue weight.
I stand by my statement! The numbers you quoted in your post do not subtract directly from the 7500 pound rating and are considered truck payload not trailer weight. They only affect the trailer weight rating because they count towards the GCVW.

I do agree with you that axle weight ratings are inportant and need to be taken into account when determing the need for and setting up a weight distribution hitch.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
I stand by my statement! The numbers you quoted in your post do not subtract directly from the 7500 pound rating and are considered truck payload not trailer weight. They only affect the trailer weight rating because they count towards the GCVW.

I do agree with you that axle weight ratings are inportant and need to be taken into account when determing the need for and setting up a weight distribution hitch.
Read the towing guide. It's all explained in English in there.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Read the towing guide. It's all explained in English in there.
I read the towing guide, it does not say those weights are to be subtracted from the 7500 max. rating. It says the max tow rating can be affected by those numbers. Which is true because they affect the GCVW number which the guide specifally says not to exceed. All I said in my original post was that those numbers are truck payload and not trailer weight. They would be payload if you were not towing a trailer.

Not sure why you are so adament on this point

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Last friday in Idaho. Don't be this guy.....

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
I read the towing guide, it does not say those weights are to be subtracted from the 7500 max. rating. It says the max tow rating can be affected by those numbers. Which is true because they affect the GCVW number which the guide specifally says not to exceed. All I said in my original post was that those numbers are truck payload and not trailer weight. They would be payload if you were not towing a trailer.

Not sure why you are so adament on this point
Because I had a friend that thought like you and didn't count the weight of 6 people and coolers in his Expedition when he bought his trailer. Wound up sliding down the NY thruway with both the Expedition and trailer on the side. What a mess and luckily everyone survived. The trailer came apart and parts spread all over. He listened to the trailer dealer that didn't consider vehicle axle load. Big trouble with insurance that did a full investigation. The Tire / axle rating was exceeded and a tractor trailer draft caused side load on the Expedition tire blowing it out.
Every pound counts and always weigh fully loaded.
My truck with accessories hitch weight and 4 people can only legally tow about 6,300 pounds safely, not 7500 and you always should leave a safety factor. Just saying go by the numbers in the towing guide and a certified scale to verify.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Because I had a friend that thought like you and didn't count the weight of 6 people and coolers in his Expedition when he bought his trailer. Wound up sliding down the NY thruway with both the Expedition and trailer on the side. What a mess and luckily everyone survived. The trailer came apart and parts spread all over. He listened to the trailer dealer that didn't consider vehicle axle load. Big trouble with insurance that did a full investigation. The Tire / axle rating was exceeded and a tractor trailer draft caused side load on the Expedition tire blowing it out.
Every pound counts and always weigh fully loaded.
My truck with accessories hitch weight and 4 people can only legally tow about 6,300 pounds safely, not 7500 and you always should leave a safety factor. Just saying go by the numbers in the towing guide and a certified scale to verify.
I give up! Never said you were wrong just how you are interpting the weights. You must stay under the GVWRs for both the trailer and the truck and the GCVWR for the rig. Also the axle and tire ratings. You also need to take the tongue weight into account, too much or too little can be deadly. I have never said the 7500 was a hard number, the ones I just listed are the ones you need to stay within.

Sorry to hear about your friend. Maybe if he had weighed his setup ahead of time things would have been different. There are a lot of things that go into towing safely especially when you are pushing the limits of the tow vehicle. Putting the various weights in the the right column is a starting point. People and things in the truck are cargo/payload. The actual tow rating is the answer to the equation not a variable in it. Although many people look at it the other way around.

This has been a fun discussion, but it's time for bed.

Fordup

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Website
youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired YouTube Creator
All I am saying is the 7500 pound rating is for marketing and be sure to have things weighted. My friend fell into the trap when he bought the trailer that the salesman looked up the 8000 pound tow rating for his Expedition and sold them a trailer with a dry weight around 6k pounds and a wet weight of 7500 pounds. They were sold many upgrades also. 20 ft awning, bal electric levelers all corners, spare with mount, second ac on front vent, second battery on tongue, power a frame jack, 30 pound lp tank upgrade, a ladder with bike rack and a very heavy stabilized sway control hitch along with $500 worth of free accessories from their store such as jack, ez up awning, hatchets and other heavy items. The upgrades brought the dry weight almost to the max weight and no one figured that in. The upgrades also pushed the hitch weight way up. When things go wrong with a stabilized trailer it becomes like a pendulum and doesn't just pop off the ball. Count every pound and get things weighed fully loaded to be safe when you hit the road.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
All I am saying is the 7500 pound rating is for marketing and be sure to have things weighted. My friend fell into the trap when he bought the trailer that the salesman looked up the 8000 pound tow rating for his Expedition and sold them a trailer with a dry weight around 6k pounds and a wet weight of 7500 pounds. They were sold many upgrades also. 20 ft awning, bal electric levelers all corners, spare with mount, second ac on front vent, second battery on tongue, power a frame jack, 30 pound lp tank upgrade, a ladder with bike rack and a very heavy stabilized sway control hitch along with $500 worth of free accessories from their store such as jack, ez up awning, hatchets and other heavy items. The upgrades brought the dry weight almost to the max weight and no one figured that in. The upgrades also pushed the hitch weight way up. When things go wrong with a stabilized trailer it becomes like a pendulum and doesn't just pop off the ball. Count every pound and get things weighed fully loaded to be safe when you hit the road.
You and Big Blue.......:crackup:

vqzD0M.gif

Progeny2021

Banned
Banned
First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
You and Big Blue.......:crackup:

vqzD0M.gif
@Fordup has some very valid points. You look at your door stickers and get you GVWR and your max Payload numbers and compare to the GCVWR for your truck. after doing a little math the only way you can tow 7500 pounds is with an empty truck with one driver in it. Lets be realistic. How many people go camping by themselves with nothing in the bed of the truck. This is not even taking into account all the mods people do to their trucks like front bumpers, winches, side steps, bigger tires, etc. All these mods reduce your payload.

I will use my truck as an example.

As I have a SuperCrew 4X4, my GCVWR is 12500# If to was a 4x2 you reduce that 250# if it was a SuperCab reduce that by another 100#

My door stickers state my GVWR is 6050# and my maximum payload is 1424#.

Now my truck is basically stock, only weight adding mods are a tonneau cover, Beststep bed step, and a couple swing boxes. relatively minimal compared to some. lets just ignore them for the moment.

assuming GVWR 6050 minus max payload 4626 equal empty truck weight 4626
GCVWR 12500 minus empty truck weight 4626 equal weight under GCVWR 7874
now take weight under GCVWR 7874 minus max tow rating 7500 equal available cargo capacity 374#. Basically a driver and the weight of a hitch.

So tell me how you are going to pull a 7500# trailer and stay under the GCVWR with your modded SuperCab 4x2 with you your better half, your kids, your pets and everything else in the bed. Not happening.

I agree with @Fordup the 7500# max towing capacity is a marketing number. It is a number that can only be achieved under perfect conditions that no one would encounter in real life. It is a number that needs to be reduced down by many factors depending on the individual situation.

We haven't even talked about the tongue weight rating which is recommended be between 10-15% of total trailer weight. If you are using the upper number to be within tongue weight rating you shouldn't be towing more than 5000#.

Another rating we haven't talked about is the axle weight ratings of the truck. and along with that the load ratings and of the tires and the air pressure in them. As has been said many times. You need to take your rig to a CAT scale and get it weighed and make sure you are within all the various weight ratings for your truck. too many people see the max tow rating number and do not read the fine print behind it. That fine print is Fords CYA statement.

I've ranted enough for one day. time for my nap.

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
Well, hoe about the work aspect? Lotsbof you ( notce i didn't say everyine) says "tt blah blah blah". How abkut bobcat, backhoe, pto, car traler, cargo trailer, work stuff??

4x2, 7000lb trailer,
1680 cargo cap.
1500 with my mods
700 tounge weight
400 passengers
250 tools

Yep. Im good to go all day long. 7500lb of trailer minus 50 i am still left with 100 to spare. Not a marketing number to me.
Yes, i do this with the ranger.
Thats why i didnt get a 4x4

Xlt 4x2 2020
@Big Blue
Dont over think it too much guys.
Be safe, be smart, do the homework and math. I dont do tts. But i do work with the ranger. Its the short little bull in the room racing like a horse!!
Sponsored