Time to bug you guys/gals for another question.

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Bronco sport. 2022 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Master technician
We went looking at campers. And found one we really like. The wet weight is fine. But it has a front kitchen. So, the hitch weight is 860 pounds. If I used a weight distribution hitch. Would that still be an issue? They have the same model with a front bed. That is well within the hitch allowance. But we are really liking this one.
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
860 lbs is much too heavy for the hitch. Ranger is rated for 750 lbs tongue weight, which is heavy enough.
Also realize that the tongue weight and rv weight is as it comes from the factory, almost always without the weight of the battery and full propane tanks. Battery is at least 50 lbs or more if you have two, and full propane tanks will add another 50- 80 lbs depending on 20 or 30 pound tanks. That weight gets added to the tongue weight, so your looking at possible 1000 lbs tongue weight.
Now, add to that any weight that is placed forward of the axles,,,,food, dishes, cookware, and dozens of other items that will be stored in cabinets. All that gets added to the tongue weight.
As an example, my camper had a dry tongue weight of 560 lbs. I have one battery...50 lbs. I have 2 30lb propane tanks...tanks weigh 20 lbs each empty, and each holds 25 lbs of propane (80% capacity).
That total adds 140 lbs to the tongue weight, which comes out to around 700 lbs tongue weight. I would not go any higher than that on mine, and I am experienced.
I wouldn't even attempt to tow with 860 or 1000 lb hitch weight.
I don't know your experience with campers or if this is your first, but never believe what a salesman is telling you...90% of them do not own or have never owned an rv...they will tell you "what you want to hear" about the capabilities of your truck.
Do your homework cause once you buy an rv, your stuck with it.

Last edited:
OP
OP
SteveH

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Master technician
860 lbs is much too heavy for the hitch. Ranger is rated for 750 lbs tongue weight, which is heavy enough.
Also realize that the tongue weight and rv weight is as it comes from the factory, almost always without the weight of the battery and full propane tanks. Battery is at least 50 lbs or more if you have two, and full propane tanks will add another 50- 80 lbs depending on 20 or 30 pound tanks. That weight gets added to the tongue weight, so your looking at possible 1000 lbs tongue weight.
Now, add to that any weight that is placed forward of the axles,,,,food, dishes, cookware, and dozens of other items that will be stored in cabinets. All that gets added to the tongue weight.
As an example, my camper had a dry tongue weight of 560 lbs. I have one battery...50 lbs. I have 2 30lb propane tanks...tanks weigh 20 lbs each empty, and each holds 25 lbs of propane (80% capacity).
That total adds 140 lbs to the tongue weight, which comes out to around 700 lbs tongue weight. I would not go any higher than that on mine, and I am experienced.
I wouldn't even attempt to tow with 860 or 1000 lb hitch weight.
I don't know your experience with campers or if this is your first, but never believe what a salesman is telling you...90% of them do not own or have never owned an rv...they will tell you "what you want to hear" about the capabilities of your truck.
Do your homework cause once you buy an rv, your stuck with it.
Kind of figured. Thanks. The hitch weight was in the manual. I don't trust salesmen for sh!t.
This guy wasn't pushy at all. And he suggested a weight distribution hitch. But stated he wasn't sure if this would work. I'll probably go with the front bedroom rig. 550 pound hitch weight.
This is my first camper. Talked about them for years. Now seriously considering it as a early retirement thing.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Any rv trailer in the weight range your looking at will require a weight distribution hitch.
Just remember to use the figures I posted about the weights of batteries, propane tanks empty/filled. They will be the same no matter what you decide to buy.
RV trailers usually come with 2 20 lb propane tanks. Empty tanks run around 18 lbs each, and hold 80% of their capacity, so 16 lbs of propane each. So, two filled tanks will be right around 72-75 lbs, and one battery with box will be around 50 lbs. So whatever your looking at add a minimum of 125 lbs to the tongue weight.
If I can ask...what rv are you looking at, brand, model ?

OP
OP
SteveH

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Master technician
Any rv trailer in the weight range your looking at will require a weight distribution hitch.
Just remember to use the figures I posted about the weights of batteries, propane tanks empty/filled. They will be the same no matter what you decide to buy.
RV trailers usually come with 2 20 lb propane tanks. Empty tanks run around 18 lbs each, and hold 80% of their capacity, so 16 lbs of propane each. So, two filled tanks will be right around 72-75 lbs, and one battery with box will be around 50 lbs. So whatever your looking at add a minimum of 125 lbs to the tongue weight.
If I can ask...what rv are you looking at, brand, model ?

• Year2022
  • ManufacturerForest River
  • Model NameWildwood X-Lite Midwest
  • Trim Name24RLXL
  • Generic Type (Primary)Travel Trailer
  • Capacities
  • Hitch Weight Capacity550 lb.
  • Cargo Capacity2,487 lb.
  • Fresh Water Capacity40.00 gal.
  • Gray Water Capacity30.00 gal.
  • Black Water Capacity40.00 gal.
  • Weights
  • Unloaded Weight5,063 lb.
  • Dimensions
  • Overall Length28' 11"
  • Overall Height10' 5"
  • Overall Width96"
  • Awning Size16'

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
  • Year2022
  • Trim Name24RLXL
  • Capacities
  • Weights
  • Dimensions
  • Overall Length28' 11"
  • Overall Height10' 5"
  • Overall Width96"
  • Awning Size16'
Those weights are definitely pushing the limits of your Rangers ratings. If you get it make sure to take it to a CAT scale and get it weighed, so you know exactly where you stand. That includes a full tank of gas and everything and everybody you plan on having in the truck.

Personally for a new to travel trailer person I feel you are looking at a bit too much trailer to start out. I know it sounds great to have the space but do you really need to haul a house around with you. Remember you need to manuver this thing possibly in tight spaces and in traffic. Just my opinion take it for what you will.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I looked at the specs, and your going to be at or even above the 750 tongue weight when you roll out...
560 dry weight, add 125 lbs for battery and propane, your at 685.
That trailer only has one storage compartment, a full pass thru at the very front. Your going to be storing hoses, sewer hoses, electric cable, grill, mats, "stuff" that you'll need when camping.
Then add the interior items in front...bedding, sheets, towels, clothing, shoes, ect. Then you'll have lawn chairs, possibly bikes, items for other family members, pets if any and their stuff.
Your easily going to be over 750.
You can get rid of some of the weight by using the truck bed, but your still adding weight to the gcvwr.
The 7500 lb / 750 tongue weight that the Ranger is rated for isn't because of the truck itself, but what the hitch is rated for.
I'm just going to throw my 2 cents in as a long time rv'er, but being your new, and this would be your first trailer, I think your going to be over your head with this being your first rv.
Towing a rig that big, safely, requires a bit of experience, and isn' t easy. My rig is at 7000 lbs and right at 700 lbs tongue weight, and that's about my limit...and thats with 50 years of towing/rv experience.

OP
OP
SteveH

SteveH

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Master technician
Oh, I've towed large trailers. 30'with twin 30 kw generators while in the service. I understand that portion. The science behind that was worked out for me though. I just hitched and went. Just not up to date on these campers.
That being said. There are a couple 24's I'm looking at too.

DonB

Banned
Banned
First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 HPR Ranger Super Cab FX4
Occupation
Retired
We went looking at campers. And found one we really like. The wet weight is fine. But it has a front kitchen. So, the hitch weight is 860 pounds. If I used a weight distribution hitch. Would that still be an issue? They have the same model with a front bed. That is well within the hitch allowance. But we are really liking this one.
Nope. Too much.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Oh, I've towed large trailers. 30'with twin 30 kw generators while in the service. I understand that portion. The science behind that was worked out for me though. I just hitched and went.
Not even in the same neighborhood. You weren't towing with a Ranger and pulling a big empty wind sail.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Oh, I've towed large trailers. 30'with twin 30 kw generators while in the service. I understand that portion. The science behind that was worked out for me though. I just hitched and went. Just not up to date on these campers.
That being said. There are a couple 24's I'm looking at too.

Just be aware that towing a large box that is very prone to wind and rigs passing both ways is much different than towing a flatbed with a lot of concentrated weight. If not properly set up right with the hitch, weight
Not even in the same neighborhood. You weren't towing with a Ranger and pulling a big empty wind sail.
X2. A travel trailer is just a big slab sided box that is very very susceptible to wind and passing vehicles.
A flat bed with weight low down is a piece of cake .

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
  • Year2022
  • Trim Name24RLXL
  • Capacities
  • Weights
  • Dimensions
  • Overall Length28' 11"
  • Overall Height10' 5"
  • Overall Width96"
  • Awning Size16'
whew thats a lotta trailer esp after loaded. basically a 30 footer, 11 feet high and 8 wide. Even if you had a half ton truck id say no go for safety and for the longevity of the trucks. in my view ( im no expert) to tow something that size and be confident and comfy with enough truck to do the deed safely on a regular basis without taxing it too much your talking stout 3/4 ton truck or more. sure the ranger will tow it. but i would not call it safe.