Trailer Camping - What are you towing off road and do you like it?

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
As I get older I see the beauty in a Tear Drop Trailer or other small camping outfit. Does anyone here have a set up you'd like to share and discuss and what works well / not so well?

I'll be using this in primitive and dispersed sites. No facilities. No shore power. No water. Off Grid and Remote.
“I like offroad camping, but when I’m serious, I prefer Motel 6, Dave always keeps the light on for me” :)
Sponsored

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport
I just sold this Runaway CoolCamp XL 4x8 trailer, I axle-flipped it and put it on matching 285/75/16 tires and it followed me down 50 miles of "damaged" forest roads on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon without question. A week or two before I was there some bad storms had come through the area and took down trees and washed parts of the road out pretty bad. A few low-range climbs and descents and short water crossings a little over two feet deep in places.

There was nothing fancy about it, a pillowtop twin XL mattress and some lights inside and out powered by a Jackery 200. For outdoor living space I had an easy-up 10x10 shade tent and a folding plastic table. Camp kitchen was in an Action Packer tote strapped to the rack on the tongue.

I loved the setup, but I'm moving to a GFC to get the overall rig length and complexity down. I might end up in another hard-sided unit down the road, we'll see how tent life treats me.

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 8.57.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 8.56.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 9.06.33 PM.png

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
I just sold this Runaway CoolCamp XL 4x8 trailer, I axle-flipped it and put it on matching 285/75/16 tires and it followed me down 50 miles of "damaged" forest roads on the North Rim of the Grand Canyon without question. A week or two before I was there some bad storms had come through the area and took down trees and washed parts of the road out pretty bad. A few low-range climbs and descents and short water crossings a little over two feet deep in places.

There was nothing fancy about it, a pillowtop twin XL mattress and some lights inside and out powered by a Jackery 200. For outdoor living space I had an easy-up 10x10 shade tent and a folding plastic table. Camp kitchen was in an Action Packer tote strapped to the rack on the tongue.

I loved the setup, but I'm moving to a GFC to get the overall rig length and complexity down. I might end up in another hard-sided unit down the road, we'll see how tent life treats me.

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 8.57.10 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 8.56.06 PM.png

Screen Shot 2022-03-11 at 9.06.33 PM.png
See - I like that. And I have seen some for like $7k used. But then I think new is better and then I think I want a bigger bed, then I want a kitchen, timbren axles, solar set up.

Next thing you know I'm pricing out a $65,000 space pod. Ugh it's like a disease.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
See - I like that. And I have seen some for like $7k used. But then I think new is better and then I think I want a bigger bed, then I want a kitchen, timbren axles, solar set up.

Next thing you know I'm pricing out a $65,000 space pod. Ugh it's like a disease.
i have felt that same way while looking for a camper. ive decided i need only basic. decent bed, climate control and enough ability to go where the ranger goes. ive been eye ballin this one but i feel like the price is a bit high still. it should around 8 to 10 k in my mind. https://www.rvt.com/Riverside-RV-Retro-511-2022-Kennedale-TX-ID10437705-

1647061964607.png

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
i have felt that same way while looking for a camper. ive decided i need only basic. decent bed, climate control and enough ability to go where the ranger goes. ive been eye ballin this one but i feel like the price is a bit high still. it should around 8 to 10 k in my mind. https://www.rvt.com/Riverside-RV-Retro-511-2022-Kennedale-TX-ID10437705-
Looks about right on the price to me.

I have close to that much into my Hiker Trailer squaredrop at this point (it was 10k in 2017, and I've added a Dometic fridge, 100Ah LiFePO4 battery, and have just bought 200w of solar and a controller, among a few other odds and ends), and I don't have the lift or the AT tires. That said, I trust the build on mine more than I'd trust the build on that one.

Still, that one has a water tank/pump, rooftop A/C, a microwave, and a bigger fridge than I have. Probably also a propane furnace by the looks of it. I see the floorplan mentions an entertainment center. Does it include a TV, too, or just a spot for one?

I got out for a glorious weekend of camping last weekend at a group campsite. Conditions turned out amazing considering I made the reservation in July last yr and gambled on the weather. Considering it's supposed to snow tomorrow and have 50mph winds, I think I won.

51920890932_4ef3a9a189.jpg

You can sorta see mine center right of the picture. Silver Ranger and white/silver trailer. All the trailers in this shot are the same mfr, but the builds are all unique.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Looks about right on the price to me.

I have close to that much into my Hiker Trailer squaredrop at this point (it was 10k in 2017, and I've added a Dometic fridge, 100Ah LiFePO4 battery, and have just bought 200w of solar and a controller, among a few other odds and ends), and I don't have the lift or the AT tires. That said, I trust the build on mine more than I'd trust the build on that one.

Still, that one has a water tank/pump, rooftop A/C, a microwave, and a bigger fridge than I have. Probably also a propane furnace by the looks of it. I see the floorplan mentions an entertainment center. Does it include a TV, too, or just a spot for one?

I got out for a glorious weekend of camping last weekend at a group campsite. Conditions turned out amazing considering I made the reservation in July last yr and gambled on the weather. Considering it's supposed to snow tomorrow and have 50mph winds, I think I won.

51920890932_4ef3a9a189.jpg

You can sorta see mine center right of the picture. Silver Ranger and white/silver trailer. All the trailers in this shot are the same mfr, but the builds are all unique.
i think its just a spot for tv. but it does come with a lot of goodies

Reactions: Doc

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
Same here...I've designing one from clean sheet but keep coming back to this...all aluminum off road shell ready for customization...

https://www.weeroll.com/gladiator
I see some things I like, but some deal killers. Put a rooftop fan in it and you get zero warranty? Pricks. You're expected to maintain your stuff, not ignore it. Maintain the sealant around the fan in the roof and you'll be fine.

I'm surprised that they have NO fan in the trailer given that they're in FL. Sure, there's a port for an A/C. But WTF are you going to do when you're off-grid? Isn't that the point of an offroad trailer? Do they expect you to run a generator for that? Screw that.

While there's some truth to the structure of a wooden box being less durable, I'm a lot more confident making modifications and repairs to a wooden structure than I am to an aluminum one. I, for one, am not going to be welding aluminum anytime soon. Frankly, if my wooden box rots out, I feel confident that I could completely rebuild the box so long as my trailer is still intact.

Sure, I'm less likely to need to fully rebuild it with a fully welded aluminum trailer. But I'd better also like it exactly how I ordered it because I won't be making any changes to it once I get it.

Trey1940

First Name
Trey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Fiesta ST, 2019 Ranger Lariat FX4 Sport

DIY all of it. If you go the Runaway route, a V-Series is $3,300 MORE than a base CoolCamp or RangeRunner, I sold mine for $3300, bought it new in 2018 for $3300 and put maybe 600 bucks into it. Kept the Jackery when I sold it.

I didn't have any fancy suspension or anything, when I put it on 285s, I put 4oz of balance beads in each tire to stop the resonant bouncing the little donut stock tires had, axle-flipped it with the stock leaf springs, and ran the trailer tires at 20psi. The tire shoulders still didn't touch the road at 20psi, but they soaked up every bump I threw at them.

I was on the move enough to charge the Jackery with the truck in transport and never had a need for solar, depending on your style of camping, you can make plenty of concessions.

OP
OP
GTGallop

GTGallop

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.qrz.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4X4 SOLD - Now 2023 TRD Offroad
Occupation
Program Manager
Same here...I've designing one from clean sheet but keep coming back to this...all aluminum off road shell ready for customization...

https://www.weeroll.com/gladiator
Love that design but wonder about the axle. Can those rubber bars be replaced?

Can the fan just be put in the ac opening in the door?

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Love that design but wonder about the axle. Can those rubber bars be replaced?

Can the fan just be put in the ac opening in the door?
I hear those torsion suspension are pretty solid design...not sure about needing to replace rubber or if they can...guess someone can dig deeper into Dexter...

I think if someone installs a fan properly into the roof, there's no reason for leaks...I don't blame WeeRoll for not covering any holes being cut into it...who in their right mind would cover the failure of a third party fan install? Their roof is one piece so there's no chance for failure until someone cuts a hole into it. That said, I don't see any issues with adding a fan in the AC port in the rear door access...over all I think this is pretty bomb proof all aluminum trailer for the price...others may disagree...when my Ranger is paid off, I'll be ordering one...

original?tenant=vbu-digital.jpg

subquark

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Website
subQuark.com
Vehicle(s)
Soupie! Race Red '22 XL 101A Scab 4X2 w/steelies
Occupation
game publisher
I’ve got a 2020 high altitude trailer.
full foam/ composite construction.
100w solar, 1100w inverter, 10lb propane, stove, domestic 35l fridge, hot water sprayer/ shower, Thule racks, batwing awning.

FFCD185B-8E98-42ED-9A2C-BC1B9C5311A2.jpeg

8D645223-3AD8-4EFB-9552-6DEBD31814A2.jpeg

AFFB53E1-EA5E-4553-BB66-28838D08A6D6.jpeg

7D91DD8B-A78B-482D-8875-B5C9D510444A.jpeg

D1E11F53-61D1-4385-8417-E207A9733D69.jpeg
Looks like one awesome dog buddy! =)

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
I hear those torsion suspension are pretty solid design...not sure about needing to replace rubber or if they can...guess someone can dig deeper into Dexter...

I think if someone installs a fan properly into the roof, there's no reason for leaks...I don't blame WeeRoll for not covering any holes being cut into it...who in their right mind would cover the failure of a third party fan install? Their roof is one piece so there's no chance for failure until someone cuts a hole into it. That said, I don't see any issues with adding a fan in the AC port in the rear door access...over all I think this is pretty bomb proof all aluminum trailer for the price...others may disagree...when my Ranger is paid off, I'll be ordering one...
Most camper manufacturers put a vent or fan in the roof. Doing so helps with air movement (hot air rises, etc). I think it's reasonable not to have a huge warranty on the sealant around those things (you're supposed to maintain that, after all), but to offer zero warranty whatsoever on the trailer because you've chosen a better ventilation option for comfort? THAT is just being a prick.

I hear conflicting reports on torsion axles. Repairing them is much less straightforward than a solid axle. Some say they result in a trailer that feels more controlled, but I've also heard the opposite. My father built a small cargo trailer to pull behind his motorcycle and he put torsion axles on it. They've served him well, but that's lighter duty than anything I'll be towing.
Sponsored