Time to bug you guys/gals for another question.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Well, hoe about the work aspect? Lotsbof you ( notce i didn't say everyine) says "tt blah blah blah". How abkut bobcat, backhoe, pto, car traler, cargo trailer, work stuff??

4x2, 7000lb trailer,
1680 cargo cap.
1500 with my mods
700 tounge weight
400 passengers
250 tools

Yep. Im good to go all day long. 7500lb of trailer minus 50 i am still left with 100 to spare. Not a marketing number to me.
Yes, i do this with the ranger.
Thats why i didnt get a 4x4

Xlt 4x2 2020
@Big Blue
Dont over think it too much guys.
Be safe, be smart, do the homework and math. I dont do tts. But i do work with the ranger. Its the short little bull in the room racing like a horse!!
All I'm saying is you cannot be anywhere near max payload and tow a 7500 trailer and be under your GCVWR.
Sponsored

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Well, hoe about the work aspect? Lotsbof you ( notce i didn't say everyine) says "tt blah blah blah". How abkut bobcat, backhoe, pto, car traler, cargo trailer, work stuff??
People here hear "tow" and they automatically think of travel trailers.

They often forget about work trailers and boats.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
I’ve had that start to happen. My ass puckers up just watching it. Plus, I pull an Aussie style caravan and the Princess did not appreciate the video!

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
I’ve had that start to happen. My ass puckers up just watching it. Plus, I pull an Aussie style caravan and the Princess did not appreciate the video!
Yep it makes me uneasy too, and I've felt it myself, there isn't a lot of detail about it, but he might have been able to save it if he had hit the trailer brake very early on, not touching the car brake, but I guess that's a bit counter intuitive when overtaking.
But it rapidly reached the point where the most expert driver couldn't have saved it.

In my case it was in the very first trip in the new van I published above. I decided it was simply too much weight in the rear, not quite enough ball weight, probably being a function of being a fairly short dual axle van, and next trip didn't fill the rear water tank until we got there - problem solved, tracks straight as an arrow. With both tanks full it's not dangerous, but noticeably just a bit more twitchy.

I note that in the case above the tow vehicle looks like a Mitsubishi Pajero, these have independent suspension on the rear, a solid rear axle might have offered a bit more resistance to lateral movement as it wouldn't have allowed the unloaded wheel to tuck under, and exaggerate the roll.

And I'm not sure some people appreciate the pressure wave that can build up in front of a vehicle traveling at speed, when he passed that truck it hit the side of the van and probably gave it the initial push.

WingShot

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 XLT, Tremor, Cactus Gray
Occupation
Graphic Artist
Yep it makes me uneasy too, and I've felt it myself, there isn't a lot of detail about it, but he might have been able to save it if he had hit the trailer brake very early on, not touching the car brake, but I guess that's a bit counter intuitive when overtaking.
But it rapidly reached the point where the most expert driver couldn't have saved it.

In my case it was in the very first trip in the new van I published above. I decided it was simply too much weight in the rear, not quite enough ball weight, probably being a function of being a fairly short dual axle van, and next trip didn't fill the rear water tank until we got there - problem solved, tracks straight as an arrow. With both tanks full it's not dangerous, but noticeably just a bit more twitchy.

I note that in the case above the tow vehicle looks like a Mitsubishi Pajero, these have independent suspension on the rear, a solid rear axle might have offered a bit more resistance to lateral movement as it wouldn't have allowed the unloaded wheel to tuck under, and exaggerate the roll.

And I'm not sure some people appreciate the pressure wave that can build up in front of a vehicle traveling at speed, when he passed that truck it hit the side of the van and probably gave it the initial push.
Thanks for the reply and I appreciate the details.

What’s really scary, is how fast it went wrong. Where my brake controller is I would of had to be leaning forward with a hand on the lever to effectively activate it. Unfortunately, when it starts to happen your instinct is to grab onto the steering wheel and hit the brakes!

We pull an OBi Dweller13. Similar to the Opus line in Australia, and pretty close to yours in weight ratings. Even though we are shorter, and only have the two wheels our gross is nearly 500 pounds more. I have also found it tows better with just the front water tank filled, but we mostly boondock and acces to water is often difficult here. And I upgraded the stock shock absorbers to Monroe Heavy Duty, big difference!

Back to the video, do you know…how fast they were going? And if that trailer had an articulating hitch. Any sort of sway control or weight distribution system?

99C1F2D3-3FC6-49C7-8B1E-AC7A7C1EDA97.jpeg

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Thanks for the reply and I appreciate the details.

What’s really scary, is how fast it went wrong. Where my brake controller is I would of had to be leaning forward with a hand on the lever to effectively activate it. Unfortunately, when it starts to happen your instinct is to grab onto the steering wheel and hit the brakes!

We pull an OBi Dweller13. Similar to the Opus line in Australia, and pretty close to yours in weight ratings. Even though we are shorter, and only have the two wheels our gross is nearly 500 pounds more. I have also found it tows better with just the front water tank filled, but we mostly boondock and acces to water is often difficult here. And I upgraded the stock shock absorbers to Monroe Heavy Duty, big difference!

Back to the video, do you know…how fast they were going? And if that trailer had an articulating hitch. Any sort of sway control or weight distribution system?

99C1F2D3-3FC6-49C7-8B1E-AC7A7C1EDA97.jpeg
Yes that van looks very similar to the Opus line, obviously comes from the same manufacturer. I know what you mean about water, when going bush camping you have no option but to fill everything to the top. With both 80 litre tanks full we have about a week of water, longer if you can augment supply with clean creek water for washing etc.

I don't have any more details on the incident above but here's a link to an almost identical one - even the same type of vehicle, which was fairly well examined by Robert Pepper, who is one of the better motoring journalists over here. ( and you will note Robert drives a Ranger himself)

Sponsored

Last edited: