First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
So far just my jetski that I've had for years but I got the tow package because I'd like to get a small camping trailer for me and the wife for going to NASCAR and NHRA races. We've been tenting it for years but we're not getting any younger.
Sponsored

r1ch999999

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat Crew Cab 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
Here’s the extent of my towing, I got the tow package because I did have a boat, and jet ski, and didn’t want to mess with aftermarket hitches. Still have the jet ski but it’s in storage in Maine still.

View courtesy of my home office window in the new house.

3C702088-BA6E-4DC2-8778-38AF29002433.jpeg

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
If any of you crazed camping people get to the western UP of MI this summer, do get in touch and we'll try get out with you. Or is this the right/best thread to post this??? We camp quite a few days per summer in the Ottawa NF.
camp steaks876.jpg
camp649.jpg

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer / IT Admin
Anyone using a Anderson WDH on their Ranger? If so your comments would be appreciated. Pros and cons.
I have one for use with a Jayco 174BH and it helped quite a bit with sway in wind and around semi's on the highway. Sway wasn't a serious issue but it was noticeable enough to make me feel like spending some money to address it. I don't even think about sway anymore with the Andersen, and it's easy to hook/unhook. I definitely recommend that product, although I have no experience with any other WDHs.

When I first inserted the Andersen into the receiver on the Ranger I thought it wasn't going to work, as the holes for the hitch pin didn't line up. My stomach sank. The hitch didn't seem to go into the receiver far enough. Then I realized there is a second hole on the hitch lol.

My 174BH is actually a bit small to be using a WDH. It only has a 3" A-frame and it's possible to bend the frame by using a WDH. I only really cared about the anti-sway part of the Andersen anyway so I just made sure not to tighten the chains too much.

We're trading in the 174BH in for a 264BH. Should be picking it up in a couple of weeks. I think it's 4800lbs dry with 10% of that on the hitch. I'm a bit worried about wind with that since they say you should have a longer wheelbase than the Ranger with a trailer that long. I see similar trailers in this thread, though, so I'm hopeful that it'll be nbd.

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
I did not weigh it. My estimate was 7000 lbs for this based on the. The Maximum weight of the trailer is 7500lbs.

The trailer is a 2017 Jayco SLX 287BHSW. I researched and looked at many trailers before I settled on this one. It has well thought out internal storage and a large bathroom.
I noticed that the tongue weight of that trailer is 890lbs dry and not including hitch etc. The Ranger's max tongue weight is 750lbs.. be careful with that thing

TechnicallyReal

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ranger Lariat 4x4
Occupation
for reference, it’s nice to go down hills and not be on the brakes for 3 miles. If you keep your foot on the brake very lightly, the brake controller senses the deceleration and applies light braking to the trailer. I have a prodigy p3 and it’s very intuitive with the brakes.

CED4698C-D6E7-4385-B0A9-60132D969A51.jpeg
I find that the ranger's tow/haul mode also kicks up the engine braking assist when you are light on the brake pedal. Excellent downhill braking in the Ranger.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I find that the ranger's tow/haul mode also kicks up the engine braking assist when you are light on the brake pedal. Excellent downhill braking in the Ranger.
I drove that rig 200 miles last week in crazy winds and it did great. I had so much of a tailwind on the return trip my mileage went from 9 to 12.

Leftcoast

Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Crewcab
We just returned a 2021 Heartland Mallard M180BH. It was a rental. It was 3850 lbs. dry weight and we ended up at about 4700 lbs loaded. It was about 23' from tail to hitch. It didn't come with a WDH and I preferred we had one. I took it to a CAT scale to get it setup.
The Ford installed brake controller worked well. The towing engine braking worked well too. The motor was more than strong enough for the 3000' of climb. I only checked my MPG going up and it was about 12.5. though I never cracked 65.
We had some decent 20 mph winds with 40 plus mph gusts on the way back. It wagged a bit but corrected itself even without the WDH and sway control.

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Have now towed our Geo Pro 19BH trailer twice with our Ranger and man oh man I love it. Big upgrade over the Honda Pilot. Dry sticker is 3202lbs and I am guessing my loaded weight is around 4000lbs without water. Tongue weight measured at 450lbs.

Naturally in cross winds the Ranger still moves a bit but with the WDH the truck and trailer move together. My biggest goal was something with more power and we got it with the Ranger. MPG are better than the Pilot too. If I stick to 65-70mph I am in the 12.5mpg range. I can probably manage 13mpg on a good day I suspect.

PXL_20210531_173054593.jpg

PXL_20210531_180313595.jpg
Sponsored