Has anyone done a complete 2019 Ranger oil/filter change by themselves yet?

Phik

First Name
PK
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL
Was pretty easy. Installed the fumoto and a bit of hose and it'll go even easier next time. Like others have already said, the plastic fasteners over the filter were a pain.
It only took 6 quarts of oil though, not 6.2. Checked the dipstick several times warm and normal temp and cold and 6.2 looks like too much. Anyone else see the same?
Sponsored

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
The dealer claimed the oil filter was improperly installed. The oil that dripped onto my driveway was nowhere near clean oil. I think the tech was just sloppy when removing the old oil filter. The dealer installed a new filter, cleaned up the frame and gave me a free oil change.

IMO, as long as I have a warranty on it, the dealer does the maintenance. It's a CYA kinda thing. Besides, I hardly have any time to do anything outside of work.

acsnowrider

First Name
JOHN
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 RANGER XLT
Occupation
RETIRED FORD ELECTRONIC/DRIVEABILITY TECH
Vehicle Showcase
Googling around, I found this link to a online source. . .

Great find!!!:like: Ordered these as soon as I saw your posting!!! Lost one, on the first oil change, as it "popped" out and flew into the bushes!!!:curse: spet the next 20 minutes, finally locating it off the ground, in the bush! I stopped into the local liquor stores, found/got a wall poster to use as a cover, on the concrete floor--Most of them are coated/top covered in plastic, so oil spills wipe right up, don't soak into the cardboard backing, and a reusable many times!!!
And the oil change, was a piece of cake:sun:

DSC01674.JPG

Mach-1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Changed my oil myself yesterday @ 5076 miles. FX4, so I pulled the skid plate. To do the oil filter, I pulled the front wheel, took the rubber flap cover off. The oil filter came off by hand. I used Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil and filter.

I also rotated the tires too. At the same time, I also think it's a good idea to crank the spare tire down, and check the pressure on it. It also ensures that the crank mechanism stays good and moves free.

I think that 6.2 quarts of oil is too much. Mine is measuring above the line on the dipstick after I changed the oil. I'll try 6 quarts next time first and see how that ends up.

AkRanger

First Name
Wayne
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT HPR
Did my first oil change yesterday. 4200 miles. Put the truck on my ramps and had no trouble installing the fumoto valve. I was able to reach the filter just fine without removing or turning the wheel. Thanks to those who posted their experiences and part numbers.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
The dealer claimed the oil filter was improperly installed. The oil that dripped onto my driveway was nowhere near clean oil. I think the tech was just sloppy when removing the old oil filter. The dealer installed a new filter, cleaned up the frame and gave me a free oil change.

IMO, as long as I have a warranty on it, the dealer does the maintenance. It's a CYA kinda thing. Besides, I hardly have any time to do anything outside of work.
If the oil drainage trough for the filter isn't cleaned out by spraying brake cleaner in the trough and wiping it with a rag it'll drip used oil. Was the leak in the center, or offset to the drivers side?

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
If the oil drainage trough for the filter isn't cleaned out by spraying brake cleaner in the trough and wiping it with a rag it'll drip used oil. Was the leak in the center, or offset to the drivers side?
Offset to driver side, all over the frame rail and cross member. I don't think it had anything to do with the trough, just a careless tech.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Changed my oil myself yesterday @ 5076 miles. FX4, so I pulled the skid plate. To do the oil filter, I pulled the front wheel, took the rubber flap cover off. The oil filter came off by hand. I used Mobil 1 Extended Performance oil and filter.

I also rotated the tires too. At the same time, I also think it's a good idea to crank the spare tire down, and check the pressure on it. It also ensures that the crank mechanism stays good and moves free.

I think that 6.2 quarts of oil is too much. Mine is measuring above the line on the dipstick after I changed the oil. I'll try 6 quarts next time first and see how that ends up.
You can flip the spare so you can check the air without lowering. That way you can crank it up & down every now & then to work the mechanism

TX-Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercab 2wd Lightning Blue/302A package/trailer tow/spray in bedliner
2nd oil change, first filter last weekend (preferred my oil brand from day 1). Similar experience as others, not too bad. For the filter removal I was able to use one of the 'C' shaped wrenches that took a little finagling to get into place but caught the filter 'threads' with no issue. I did drain the filter into the channel before pulling through the fender as the space is tight and I could see myself fumbling the filter pulling through the fender. Overall not harder than other oil changes for my other autos.

gov cheese

First Name
j
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger xlt super cab
first oil change done 4k miles. Was going to wait longer but got a deal on motor-craft oil and filter from Autozone, 5 quart jug and filter for $29
Yes i put 6 quarts and a little more, oil level is about 1/16 inch below top dot.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I'm about to do change number 4 here at the 30K mile mark. My oil is still looking good (think dark honey), and doesn't smell like 5 gallons of gasoline like the first change did. I guess my arms are just too stubby to reach through the wheel well and reach the filter.

And yes, the little rivets that hold the flap on are near destroyed after 3 changes. I'll probably get one more change out of them before I replace them with something metal of my own design.

TheKracka

First Name
Klay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT FX4/2005 xB
Occupation
I fix things not people
Anyone planning on using T6 rotella? Any reason not to?
Yes sir! Sent samples to Blackstone labs with past Ecoboost and Cummin's vehicles and results have always been positive so I see no reason to deviate with the Ranger. Only other oil I would consider is Amsoil but they're too proud of that. Always use WIX filters too.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Finally did my first oil change today at 20,000 miles. This is the fourth for my truck had 3 free bees.
This like others here included a tire rotation, so my process was to support the front on jack stands, remove skid plate, remove drain plug let oil drain. Did right side tire rotation, removed left front tire. Installed drain plug hand tight. Repositioned drain pan under filter funnel, removed plastic rivets to move rubber shield, loosened filter to drain. Had lunch. Removed filter installed new, cleaned filter trough with brake cleaner. Removed drain plug let residue drain & reinstalled plug. Installed oil, ran checked for leaks. None present. Reinstalled rubber shield, did left side tire rotation, reinstalled skid plate. Checked oil level. Using my oil drain deflector I had not one drop of oil anywhere. The only place I used brake clean was the filter trough. Using the proper tools for the plastic pins I do not see where these will have to be replaced. I use the pry & screw procedure. Photos of tools used, the card board in the back ground was under the truck during the oil change, not a drop. I give this procedure a 2 thumbs up.

DSCN8187.JPG

DSCN8189.JPG

DSCN8188.JPG

DSCN8191.JPG

dmeyer302

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Escape, 2016 Odyssey
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
Vehicle Showcase

TBM837

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired
Anyone installed the Fumoto yet? I ordered the Fumoto but don't have my ranger yet unfortunately

I've used them on many other vehicles and will never go back to taking out a drain plug...it's too easy with the Fumoto, especially if I don't have to take off the skid plate
I used a piece of hose that fit the fumoto valve and then zip tied it under the truck. Now no more removing the skid plate. viola!!
Sponsored