Has anyone done a complete 2019 Ranger oil/filter change by themselves yet?

Dylan Ellzey

First Name
Dylan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Research Analyst
Just a bit of redneck ingenuity I wish I knew the first time I dealt with a painful oil filter. To save you the time and money running and getting a filter wrench, I have had great luck with using the open end of a ratchet strap on stuck filters. Just loop the end through the anchor hole and put it around the filter, then use the anchor as leverage while twisting. Obviously this won’t work in every scenario/tight fits, but it has come in handy a few times using what I already have. I have long arms, but it worked great to remove the stubborn factory ranger filter on the first change. I use it as well for my wife’s 2017 1.5 escape. There’s no room to gorilla that one so it’s a nice tool I use. Just a thought as it’s something many of us carry around in the truck anyway. Good luck

-Dylan
Sponsored

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
An oil change on this truck is not bad at all. The filter is a beeotch, but not a deal breaker.

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Oh, I had the right tools. :) I agree.
Just gotta have the right tools... It's a piece of cake.

007.JPG

009.JPG

Basically just saying its kind of tight and those clips suck. I replaced mine with easier ones.

Dmax

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4
Vehicle Showcase

Basically just saying its kind of tight and those clips suck. I replaced mine with easier ones.
What clips did you replace them with?

TORQUERULES

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Like this. Mazda uses these in a myriad of places and they hold up well and are much easier to remove. Just pop a flat blade screwdriver under the middle part to pull it up and they come right out with your fingers. You can get them in different sizes on Amazon or a parts store. I already had some laying around, so I used those.
s-l1000.jpg

The ones on our truck just do not work they way they should and can be a pain.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
What John say's & I have stated previously, even the clips are no big deal.

DSCN8188.JPG
The clips were easy to get out, but mine were completely trashed after the second oil change. Salt country made them not screw out anymore, so they had to be pulled out against their will.

jfnatx

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercrew XLT
Hi. Completed my first oil change at 8,400 miles on my '19 Ranger. Yes, I know I procrastinated and regret it. Here are the things I noticed.

1. Oil was pitch black
2. Was able to drain right at 6.9-7 quarts from oil pan through drain plug. Used brand new 7qt oil drain pan from Walmart and let it drip for 15 mins (See attachment).
3. The most alarming was all the metal shavings left in drain pan after used oil was funneled back into empty Eneos 5w-30 qt bottles (See attachment).

Sending off oil to blackstone for analysis. Will post back when I have my results. Next oil change interval will be 5k miles. Fingers crossed no more shavings will be present.

Oil: Eneos 5w30
Filter: Motorcraft FL-910S

-Joe

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

Last edited:

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Hi. Completed my first oil change at 8,400 miles on my '19 Ranger. Yes, I know I procrastinated and regret it. Here are the things I noticed.

1. Oil was pitch black
2. Was able to drain right at 6.9-7 quarts from oil pan through drain plug. Used brand new 7qt oil drain pan from Walmart and let it drip for 15 mins (See attachment).
3. The most alarming was all the metal shavings left in drain pan after used oil back was funneled back into empty Eneos 5w-30 qt bottles (See attachment).

Sending off oil to blackstone for analysis. Will post back when I have my results. Next oil change interval will be 5k miles. Fingers crossed no more shavings will be present.

Oil: Eneos 5w30
Filter: Motorcraft FL-910S

-Joe

IMG_1652.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg
Some metal shavings are normal at the first oil change. 6.2 quarts is the oil capacity. Did it smell of fuel?

jfnatx

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercrew XLT
Some metal shavings are normal at the first oil change. 6.2 quarts is the oil capacity. Did it smell of fuel?
I just smelt the used oil. Extreme fuel odor across every used quart of oil. BTW, my truck had its fuel pump swapped out a couple weeks ago due to code P0460. Truck sat a 1.5 months waiting for replacement fuel pump and sender (the one in the tank).

I only put in 6qts of oil back in and currently the dip stick reads full.

Last edited:

mdfiasco

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT CC
Occupation
Stance Haters Club Pres.
Whaaaa?
Wow, many old ways here. Time to get into the 21st century folks.

1) get a MityVac MV7201, used for many things (engine, diff, trans, etc)
2) modern day full-synth oil can easily go 10k miles in this engine.
3) if you don't know how the oil is degrading with use, then get a BlackStone report done, adjust oil changes as needed.

This is the only cogent comment here.

Change your oil, note the mileage on said oil, send in a sample to Blackstone for analysis.

Until you do that, you are making blind assumptions based on 125 year old oil change practices.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
This is the only cogent comment here.

Change your oil, note the mileage on said oil, send in a sample to Blackstone for analysis.

Until you do that, you are making blind assumptions based on 125 year old oil change practices.
222 posts.. and you only see "one cogent comment"?

Dr Phil.jpg

jsphlynch

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XL
I just smelt the used oil. Extreme fuel odor across every used quart of oil. BTW, my truck had its fuel pump swapped out a couple weeks ago due to code P0460. Truck sat a 1.5 months waiting for replacement fuel pump and sender (the one in the tank).

I only put in 6qts of oil back in and currently the dip stick reads full.
Did you happen to check your dipstick frequently enough to notice when your truck made the extra oil? Was it before or after the swapped out fuel pump? How many miles since the new fuel pump was put in?

And any update on the Blackstone report?
Sponsored