Attempted my first oil and filter change today!

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
The part number for the screw type clips is W715694-S300 but I suspect that the easier to remove pop clips W713610-S300 would also work. The second ones are the kind used on the upper radiator shield that pop right out with a trim removal tool instead of having a Philips head screw that refuses to back out enough to get the trim tool under the head to remove it.
The trick to backing those out, is requires a very light pressure on the screw driver so the plastic screws can back out. They are very fine threads.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
It's gotta be the easiest oil change ever. I couldn't believe how easy it was. Now I'm putting a Fumoto valve on and it'll be even easier. Amazing.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
It's gotta be the easiest oil change ever. I couldn't believe how easy it was. Now I'm putting a Fumoto valve on and it'll be even easier. Amazing.
Getting ready to do my first change this week. I decided to go with the Valvomax valve. All stainless, no loose plastic retainer and US made by a veteran owned company. Really reasonable on Amazon, $26.03 w/tax and includes the hose kit. It shows up tomorrow.

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
Those valves are I e bad road away from an oil bath. What's so hard about turning a ratchet once or twice a year. Got to get under there either way. No danger of a oil bath with the drain plug?

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
Getting ready to do my first change this week. I decided to go with the Valvomax valve. All stainless, no loose plastic retainer and US made by a veteran owned company. Really reasonable on Amazon, $26.03 w/tax and includes the hose kit. It shows up tomorrow.
I absolutely would have gone that route if I had know about it before I ordered the other ones.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
Those valves are I e bad road away from an oil bath. What's so hard about turning a ratchet once or twice a year. Got to get under there either way. No danger of a oil bath with the drain plug?
If my skidplate gets that mashed up, I think I'll have plenty of other things to worry about already.

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
None issue for me. Didn't buy my ranger to off-road, bought it to pull my camper and carry stuff. Don't like getting oil all over everything pulling a plug. Or striping an expensive oil pan.
If my skidplate gets that mashed up, I think I'll have plenty of other things to worry about already.
Agreed if you take out the valve you probably took out the pan too.

Whiskeybilt

First Name
Jamison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
Occupation
chef
Yeah, if my skid plate gets that jammed up into my truck, the oil pan, trans, tcase may not even be one with the truck anymore. lol

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
The trick to backing those out, is requires a very light pressure on the screw driver so the plastic screws can back out. They are very fine threads.
I tried that and the screws would back out at most 1 mm then snap back down. I even tried using some sticky tack material on the tip of my screw driver. No luck, with that either. I ended up having to pry them out. Even after they were out the screws resisted being pulled out of the housing clips. Had to hold the clip while pushing the screws out from underneath while turning them with a screwdriver.

psychodad

First Name
walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
what part number did you get

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
what part number did you get
I ordered the M12 x 1.75 with the plastic hose set. The only difference from the stainless hose is the hand knob that screws on to the valve is plastic instead of stainless. The valve itself is the same. Amazon may say it doesn't fit, Their fitment guide is terrible. I went to Valvomax's website and verified.

Waiting for the mail man to deliver, will update with picks after it gets here and I install.

psychodad

First Name
walt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 ranger
I ordered the M12 x 1.75 with the plastic hose set. The only difference from the stainless hose is the hand knob that screws on to the valve is plastic instead of stainless. The valve itself is the same. Amazon may say it doesn't fit, Their fitment guide is terrible. I went to Valvomax's website and verified.

Waiting for the mail man to deliver, will update with picks after it gets here and I install.
thanks

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Mail person just delivered my Valvomax valve! :clap: Got an even better deal, they sent me the stainless steel hose instead of the plastic. Now to change my oil.
Valvomax.jpg

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Well, got the oil changed not real bad job only a couple hiccups. Did verify my wanting the valve. When I removed the factory plug oil shot out and almost hit the passenger tire, needles to say it missed my pan and I now need to de-grease my driveway. Not going to happen next time!

Second learning point. I thought a I found the drain point for the filter trough ahead of and inside the driver side tire. Wrong it's behind the front tire. Another spot to clean on the driveway. Filter wasn't overly tight but the 3 jaw wrench made short work of that. Funny the OEM filter i not the same as the replacement. No issues with the clips. Found it easier to reinstall then with the screws removed and install the screws after the clips/pins were in place.

Next time will be a piece of cake now that the learning is done and the valve is in place.
By the way what is that plastic drain trough on the drivers side ahead of the axle for anyway?
Valve installed 1.jpg
Valve installed 2.jpg

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
That one's not bad. seen some that stick down like a T. Enjoy. C.
Sponsored