Thom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
68 Chev C-20, 2019 Ford Ranger XL 4X4
Occupation
internet wise guy
Vehicle Showcase
The time, money, energy, and the effect on the climate expended and used to discuss this subject has gone over the price of a new trans. And assuming that you still have the truck after 150,000 miles makes this subject fall under speculation that should be called moot.
Sponsored

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
its all perspective.
i wouldn't jack up a truck on power and drive it like a racecar, as that's not the reason i buy a truck.
if i want fun to drive, i'd buy a vehicle specific for that.
but i get it, everyone wants to have the fastest of whatever.
even as kids our big wheels got put to the test going down the long paved driveways. we did everything to make them go faster and beat the other kids on the street.

I'll relate it to dirt bikes....how many would buy a dirt bike if it was raced?? not me. the same applies to a tuned vehicle on the market.. once you push its limits like that....i'm not interested. Some mods just arent good for the re-sale value.
I agree with a lot of what you said there. A little about my own personal situation.....I never had a performance vehicle of any kind growing up. To be honest, I really had no idea of the potential of these engines until I purchased mine. I was not looking for a performance truck, I just ended up with one and it has been fairly enjoyable. As far as resale value, I normally purchase new vehicles and drive them into oblivion anyway. If I can get a little scratch at the end great. If not, no problem. I definitely get my monies worth. I'm actually looking forward to totally rebuilding that motor at about 150K....replacing the stock turbo with a stage 2, new intercooler and catted downpipe. I would love to end up with a 400+ hp Ranger as a weekend toy...... :clap:
BTW.....your never gonna rule the racetrack with a truck of any kind....unless it's a truck series. I'm looking for straight line power......

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Today, I did the cold/running level check and it is at #6 which would be at #5 corrected when hot...about right...

I did a partial fluid exchange by pumping out what is in the sump which came out to exactly 6.5 quarts...pumped back in the exact same amount of fresh Mercon ULV...I'm at 93K and this should tie me over till the 150K mark when I will repeat the same process...EXCEPT...once the sump is empty, I'll remove it to replace the filter...this precludes any fluid disasters lol...this second exchange should further clean up the fluid for an extended period...10 quarts costed me $65 so I can do this again at 200K...the oil pump extractor is the best $25 I've spent for this job...I modded it by extending the battery cable to 8' so I can reach the transmission...

Extraction tube going into the dipstick/fill hole, taped in place so it wouldn't accidentally come out while pumping...
IMG_8094.JPG

Exactly 6.5 quarts...
IMG_8095.JPG
IMG_8093.JPG

IMG_8092.JPG

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
Today, I did the cold/running level check and it is at #6 which would be at #5 corrected when hot...about right...

I did a partial fluid exchange by pumping out what is in the sump which came out to exactly 6.5 quarts...pumped back in the exact same amount of fresh Mercon ULV...I'm at 93K and this should tie me over till the 150K mark when I will repeat the same process...EXCEPT...once the sump is empty, I'll remove it to replace the filter...this precludes any fluid disasters lol...this second exchange should further clean up the fluid for an extended period...10 quarts costed me $65 so I can do this again at 200K...the oil pump extractor is the best $25 I've spent for this job...I modded it by extending the battery cable to 8' so I can reach the transmission...

Extraction tube going into the dipstick/fill hole, taped in place so it wouldn't accidentally come out while pumping...
IMG_8094.JPG

Exactly 6.5 quarts...
IMG_8095.JPG
IMG_8093.JPG

IMG_8092.JPG
Nice find on the pump!

As far as the fluid level, cold running mine didn't even register on the stick but was right on 5 by the 190ish degree temp. By replacing same amount as you removed, you should be good.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Pre-op ready...tomorrow, after the trans fluid has cooled to room temp, I'll pump the sump empty...then pull the pan and let the trans continue to drain over night...Friday, new filter to be installed...I don't anticipate that all 12 quarts will come out so my supply should be more than enough...

IMG_8102.JPG

silverflash

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 ranger XL loaded
Occupation
stuff
Pre-op ready...tomorrow, after the trans fluid has cooled to room temp, I'll pump the sump empty...then pull the pan and let the trans continue to drain over night...Friday, new filter to be installed...I don't anticipate that all 12 quarts will come out so my supply should be more than enough...

IMG_8102.JPG
you put on 57k miles in 16 days? shazammmmm.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
you put on 57k miles in 16 days? shazammmmm.
I decided not to wait...after the first 6.5 quart exchange, the fluid was still pretty dark...can't imagine what the filter looks like...I had 5 quarts left over from the last change so I ordered another 5 plus a new filter...total for that was $70 shipped...dealers wants nearly $500 for this job...

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I decided not to wait...after the first 6.5 quart exchange, the fluid was still pretty dark...can't imagine what the filter looks like...I had 5 quarts left over from the last change so I ordered another 5 plus a new filter...total for that was $70 shipped...dealers wants nearly $500 for this job...
Hi Sid,

Do you have a link to this extraction pump?

Thanks
Phil

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

Hard to believe there're people out there trying to remove a transmission sump full of dirty fluid...after the pump out, the pan came off without spilling a drop...

Belly of the beast...

IMG_8104.JPG
IMG_8108.JPG

Old versus new...note the reusable round intake seal in the middle...

IMG_8111.JPG

Careful when removing the pan as not to damage the reusable gasket...

IMG_8110.JPG

Think I'll wait over night and see how much more comes out...

IMG_8109.JPG

Paper paint tarp with plastic backing is smart...

IMG_8106.JPG

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Hard to believe there're people out there trying to remove a transmission sump full of dirty fluid...after the pump out, the pan came off without spilling a drop...

Belly of the beast...

IMG_8104.JPG
IMG_8108.JPG

IMG_8111.JPG

IMG_8110.JPG

IMG_8109.JPG

IMG_8106.JPG
Looks like your going to need some Shout on your bed sheet when you wash it. :LOL:

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Sid...when all was finished, what was the total amount of trans fluid that you removed by the pump and dropped pan ?
Asking cause I'm thinking of going to a PPE aluminum pan which I believe adds about 1 1/2 quarts extra.
Thinking about going this route as I frequently tow our travel trailer and the xtra capacity and cooling of the finned pan would be beneficial.

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase

Belly of the beast...

IMG_8104.JPG
IMG_8108.JPG

IMG_8111.JPG

IMG_8110.JPG

IMG_8109.JPG

IMG_8106.JPG
Hi Sid,

I see the Gazinta and gaouta are clearly indicated eh?

Best,
Phil