Has anyone done a complete 2019 Ranger oil/filter change by themselves yet?

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Did my oil and filter change Saturday and it was really simple. I like the oil filter drain funnel that is mounted to the frame.
Just don't unscrew the oil filter until you've drained the sump unless you have a second catch can under that...doing so will spill a lot of oil from the filter onto the ground:facepalm:
Sponsored

Cmar

First Name
Cam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger PX
Hi Rob,

This Taco system is so customer unfriendly, I cannot imagine the thinking to ever put something like this filter system in place. In the case of Ranger, the 2016 Aussie platform was used and fitting with a North American engine is going to result in compromises that the Aussie's did not have. I accept the filter removal from the left wheel house is part of this compromise. Having done a few "one off" installs, eg SHO Ranger, you have to make some tough decisions..but to do what Toyota did is way over the top..has to be that they are driving the customer to not do any DYI projects...make the dealer money as DYI saves money...Sad, Sad, Sad!

Best,
Phil Schilke
Ranger Vehicle Engineering
Ford Motor Co. Retied
Oh yes we do have the same compromises, the oil filter for the Aussie spec ranger for both the 2.2 and 3.2 diesels is in almost exactly the same position. The removal is also the same, turn the wheels to full right lock, undo the first few scrivets and as it is a cartridge type filter, unscrew the plastic housing with a socket, remove the paper filter insert and replace with the new one, replace the O ring and replace the housing. At least we don't have the steering shaft in the way!

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
That part needs to be redesigned - at least for the Escape. I think they should make the engineers actually work on the cars after they design them. It would reduce issues like this.

There you go.. I like that..

bernardch

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
The 4 plastic "screw rivets" on the left fender flap to access the oil filter are
disappearing one by one. I went to Ford to purchase a handful but at $7.00 USD a piece,
is highway robbery. Ford Part #W715694-S300. Can these special plastic rivets be found
for a cheaper price? Even at $3.00 a piece is ludicrous.
Googling around, I found this link to a online source. . .
https://scaclips.net/product/scrivet-mazda-ford-gm-chrysler-sc008-25pk/

Searching for the GM number in Amazon brings up this link for 30 pieces for $5.39 with free shipping ($0.18 each). The dimensions on the Amazon page match the dimensions in the scaclips.net website. I ordered a package of 30 and they will be here in about a week. I'll post photos with dimensions when I receive them.

https://www.amazon.com/PartsSquare-...JNBSJZKQDXP&psc=1&refRID=5GYEW812VJNBSJZKQDXP

spike36ff

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Did you receive these yet?

Googling around, I found this link to a online source. . .

Searching for the GM number in Amazon brings up this link for 30 pieces for $5.39 with free shipping ($0.18 each). The dimensions on the Amazon page match the dimensions in the scaclips.net website. I ordered a package of 30 and they will be here in about a week. I'll post photos with dimensions when I receive them.

https://www.amazon.com/PartsSquare-...JNBSJZKQDXP&psc=1&refRID=5GYEW812VJNBSJZKQDXP

bernardch

First Name
Chuck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat FX4
Did you receive these yet?
Yes. Amazon dropped them off Saturday. I haven't had a chance to remove one from the Ranger yet, but these seem to be the real deal.

My package of thirty (30) pieces arrives as 3, 10-count packages. Oddly, I couldn't find a 10-count package on Amazon.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=1gtjVoW7rjF0NGbXRMBGg6KcHBANaUaJI

The fastener is two pieces; an inner "threaded" screw about 5/8" long with a Philips head,, and an outer "pin" with about an 11/16" diameter "head" and just over 3/4" long. The screw pushes in to the head until about 3/16" remains, then it screws into the pin until fully inserted.

Here are some other pics showing size.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1r0pQDgHiyTg8nJ2EO3p9LRNQxKGMfkQH

I still hope to pull one out from the truck in the next day or so and show a side by side.

Ranger's My Middle Name

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 F350
I just completed my first oil change on my Ranger. The dealership had done one previously. I was very much surprised to find that the dealer had either stripped out, or just ripped the mud guard over the plastic screws! I should have known better than to even let them try it, but the first one was free (minus the upcharge for synthetic oil). I'll be doing all of the rest from here on out. Sucks that it has only had 2 changes and already have to deal with stripped screws and a slightly torn mud guard. Otherwise everything went very easy. Dont love the idea of reaching into the fender well for the filter, but not too bad. Will definitely have to have some screws on hand for backup!! Thanks for all of the good info!

rooster

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
STX FX4 SuperCrew
Occupation
engineering systems admin
Vehicle Showcase
I did my first oil change last week, no challenge really on the filter location or skid plate removal. The bigger problem was guessing the trajectory of the oil coming off the trough... lesson learned.

Sashimi_Moto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 E450 C-Class, 2019 Ranger Lariat 501A FX4
I did my first oil change last week, no challenge really on the filter location or skid plate removal. The bigger problem was guessing the trajectory of the oil coming off the trough... lesson learned.
I missed. :( Thankfully i was installing my fumoto valve with extension today so guessing the trajectory will be a thing of the past.

I also did my Front and Rear diff and transfer case. The fluid from the front diff was just fine, the transfer case was dark, kind of brown/red while what came out of the rear diff was downright awful. This is the OEM fluid that's been in there for 13k miles and it was jet black with some silver. I'm a firm a believer that after a new rear diff wears in the fluid should be changed sooner than later. The same thing happened on my FRS, when I changed the rear fluid during the first oil change it too was jet black and awful looking.

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I did my second oil change a couple months ago. Everything went perfect, drained the oil via a hose from the Fumuto valve, not a drop spilt...

...until I drove out of the garage and knocked over the windshield washer bottle that had all the old oil in it. Didn't realize it until I got back from the test drive around the block and there was a massive puddle of black oil on the floor of my garage.

Our cat (17 years old) had passed away the week prior so I still had a ton of kitty litter to clean it up. Lesson learned!

Last edited:

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
It doesn’t really matter what it says you have to check the dipstick.

DHMag

First Name
Dale
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew cab, 22 Wrangler Willys
2nd oil change at the dealer and this... :/

20200308_130659.jpg

20200308_130641.jpg

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
2nd oil change at the dealer and this... :/

20200308_130659.jpg

20200308_130641.jpg
Ugh that sucks. I've had too many misadventures with Ford Service departments to let them near my truck unless it is something out of my hands. Pretty much any maintenance is being done in my garage so I can mess it up, not them. ?
Sponsored