Attempted my first oil and filter change today!

RangerDangerStranger

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Nissan Frontier SV in Tactical Green Metallic
Occupation
Cool Dude
Body clips, haha, you just unscrew the center with a phillips, pull out the screw jam screw and they come out by them selves. did my 1st change Saturday at 2k miles, piece of cake. Jack the truck up slightly under the frame with my H/F Quick jack and a piece of 4x4 for lift, A jackstand for safety- Yes i do use it! put a rag on my filter cup removal tool, easy peasy. Tighten 3/4 turn with the help of said rag on the cup tool and a series of extensions. done in 20 mins.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
Long story shortened up a bit is the factory filter is different size than the replacement FL910S (why is this?). I tried repeatedly and it fit the 910S nice and snug but was too big for the factory installed filter???
I had that issue and here's the fix.. First Oil Change

007.JPG

008.JPG

009.JPG

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT
Body clips, haha, you just unscrew the center with a phillips, pull out the screw jam screw and they come out by them selves.

That's provided they actually back out when you attempt to unscrew them. None of mine did, just spun in place taunting me by just starting to back out then when there was maybe 2mm of gap between the screw head and the clip, they'd pop back down forcing me to have to pop the complete clip with the set screw in place out with a body clip removal tool. The act of doing so caused two of the three removed to shoot out and ricochet off my hand ultimately coming to a rest half way down the driveway just far enough that I had to crawl under the truck to get them. Sad thing was I was prying gently on them to avoid this very thing from happening. :angry:

The same thing happened on the fender liner clips when I tried to remove them to get access to the side marker lamp to swap the incandescent bulbs out for LED's. :angry:

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Mine was VERY tight... I ended up getting a very grippy glove and using constant twist for as long as my hand could take. my forearms were sore for two days afterwards.

That adjustable three jaw looks like the ticket, but the real solution is just don't put it on so tight, and lube the gasket properly :)

I'm on to oil change #5 I believe in the next few thousand miles. And yes, the fender rivets are cashed on mine as well. They barely survived change #1 and didn't function properly at change #2.

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
I say attempted because I never did get the filter off so I ended up just draining the oil and put in new oil. I got access to the oil filter just fine by taking off the trim piece you all posted about. But that filter was royal b!@#$ and I couldn't break it loose. I even went to the local auto parts place and got one of those rachet style filter getter offer things that goes on the end of the filter. I tested for fitment while at the auto parts store to make sure I got the right size matched to a FL910S filter. Brought it home put it on the factory filter and it just spun/too big (wtf). Long story shortened up a bit is the factory filter is different size than the replacement FL910S (why is this?). I tried repeatedly and it fit the 910S nice and snug but was too big for the factory installed filter??? So after much profanity and I didn't have channel locks big enough I decided to call it a day and buttoned it back up. I will have to be content with a job half done. I've ready many posts on here about how easy it is to get this filter off and that they're only on hand tight...…..BS! Or i'm the unluckiest bastard in the world.

To the dealer it goes for the next one.
Have not changed the oil in my 2020 yet, but this brings back memories of circa mid to late seventies Pintos and Bobcats with the 2.8 V6.
The filter was located in such a location that a strap wrench would fit, but the arc of wrench travel was limited to 2-3 degrees, hardly enough to break it loose.
The resolution? Puncture the filter through both sides with a hefty flat bladed screwdriver/pry bar and use it as a wrench.
Of course you were committed to replacing the filter then...
Spent my first 6 months of an almost 14 year mechanics career as the lubeman at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership and got paid a whopping 3 tenths of an hour (18 minutes) for every oil change/chassis lube I performed.

Willcuts93

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'11 Flex '19 Ranger
Occupation
Technician
You don't know tight filters until you spin a canister off the base.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
Got the factory filter off by hand on Saturday when I did the 1st 1K mile oil change. It was a a little tight but nothing my big ole' gloved gorilla biscuits couldn't handle.

Spent more time fighting those stupid body clips to get the rubber flap out of the way than getting the old filter out.

I'll definitely be stocking up on those stupid things...
Do you have the pn for them?

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I have a drawer full of filter wrenches an I had to get one of those 3 jaw ones like Gov Cheese posted to get mine off. $7 at harbor freight. My friend had an odd size filter on his HD an my HD wrench wouldn't fit it an the 3 jaw popped it right off.

Ranger_Rocks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat Super Cab FX4 White Platinum
Occupation
Wanderer
I have a drawer full of filter wrenches an I had to get one of those 3 jaw ones like Gov Cheese posted to get mine off. $7 at harbor freight. My friend had an odd size filter on his HD an my HD wrench wouldn't fit it an the 3 jaw popped it right off.
Please post pics of your 3 jaw filter wrench.

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
I say attempted because I never did get the filter off so I ended up just draining the oil and put in new oil. I got access to the oil filter just fine by taking off the trim piece you all posted about. But that filter was royal b!@#$ and I couldn't break it loose. I even went to the local auto parts place and got one of those rachet style filter getter offer things that goes on the end of the filter. I tested for fitment while at the auto parts store to make sure I got the right size matched to a FL910S filter. Brought it home put it on the factory filter and it just spun/too big (wtf). Long story shortened up a bit is the factory filter is different size than the replacement FL910S (why is this?). I tried repeatedly and it fit the 910S nice and snug but was too big for the factory installed filter??? So after much profanity and I didn't have channel locks big enough I decided to call it a day and buttoned it back up. I will have to be content with a job half done. I've ready many posts on here about how easy it is to get this filter off and that they're only on hand tight...…..BS! Or i'm the unluckiest bastard in the world.

To the dealer it goes for the next one.
This is my favorite oil filter tool: https://shop.snapon.com/product/Oil-Filter-Wrenches/Strap-Oil-Filter-Wrench/A91F BTW, I’m partial to Snap On tools.

AutobotXJ

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Wildlife Biologist
Got the factory filter off by hand on Saturday when I did the 1st 1K mile oil change. It was a a little tight but nothing my big ole' gloved gorilla biscuits couldn't handle.

Spent more time fighting those stupid body clips to get the rubber flap out of the way than getting the old filter out.

I'll definitely be stocking up on those stupid things...
What size are those clips? After reading this thread, I might get the dealership to do the first couple oil changes :)
I once fought an oil filter for days in my 92 Cherokee. Two different types of removal tools and Even a screw driver through the can didn’t get it to loosen... I don’t want to deal with that again!

pull string get cookies

First Name
Justin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4 White Platinum
Vehicle Showcase
Have not changed the oil in my 2020 yet, but this brings back memories of circa mid to late seventies Pintos and Bobcats with the 2.8 V6.
The filter was located in such a location that a strap wrench would fit, but the arc of wrench travel was limited to 2-3 degrees, hardly enough to break it loose.
The resolution? Puncture the filter through both sides with a hefty flat bladed screwdriver/pry bar and use it as a wrench.
Of course you were committed to replacing the filter then...
Spent my first 6 months of an almost 14 year mechanics career as the lubeman at a Lincoln-Mercury dealership and got paid a whopping 3 tenths of an hour (18 minutes) for every oil change/chassis lube I performed.
Problem solving at it’s finest. Had to use that same strategy before, jobs gotta get done.

SafetyDan

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 V2 - Ranger Lariat, FX4, 501A, Trailer Tow (Lightning Blue), V1- Lariat, FX4, 500A, Trailer Tow (Ingot Silver) <Epic Fail - Lemon>
Vehicle Showcase
What size are those clips? After reading this thread, I might get the dealership to do the first couple oil changes :)
I once fought an oil filter for days in my 92 Cherokee. Two different types of removal tools and Even a screw driver through the can didn’t get it to loosen... I don’t want to deal with that again!
I anguished over doing mine then, found it to be simple with the little three finger filter tool. Oh, I did drive it up and some ramps for ease of getting under it. Did not have to remove or turn the front wheel.

Porpoise Hork

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 F150 XLT Powerboost FX4 302A Oxford White
Occupation
IT

The part number for the screw type clips is W715694-S300 but I suspect that the easier to remove pop clips W713610-S300 would also work. The second ones are the kind used on the upper radiator shield that pop right out with a trim removal tool instead of having a Philips head screw that refuses to back out enough to get the trim tool under the head to remove it.
Sponsored