Has anyone done a transmission oil change yet

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
I don't have evidence either way. I have read somewhere that if transmission fluid is let go too long, that at that point don't change it at all.
If I remember correctly it was a video by Scotty Kilmer.
Here are a couple:

Sponsored

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger, 2003 MINI Cooper S, 2021 Honda CT125
Occupation
Automotive, Industrial Designer
Vehicle Showcase
Sid...when all was finished, what was the total amount of trans fluid that you removed by the pump and dropped pan ?
Asking cause I'm thinking of going to a PPE aluminum pan which I believe adds about 1 1/2 quarts extra.
Thinking about going this route as I frequently tow our travel trailer and the xtra capacity and cooling of the finned pan would be beneficial.
I will report back Steve...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
I don't have evidence either way. I have read somewhere that if transmission fluid is let go too long, that at that point don't change it at all.
Here are a couple:

I hope 90K isn't too far gone lol...Ford's recommended change at 150K would be a gonner for sure...

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
My 2010 bought in 2009 has 65,000 miles on it. I don't see myself ever changing my transmission fluid.
Especially since I'm easy on my vehicles and rarely tow more than a couple thousand pounds.

Msfitoy

First Name
Sid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
My 2010 bought in 2009 has 65,000 miles on it. I don't see myself ever changing my transmission fluid.
Especially since I'm easy on my vehicles and rarely tow more than a couple thousand pounds.
Your 2010 probably uses a traditional 4 speed slush box as opposed to this finicky 10 speed...I drive very gently too and guess what? At 93K the fluid was dirty...near black, tranny started shifting erratically...sometimes shifting hard, other times smooth...after my first 6.5 quart fluid change only, things improved but not to how it was prior...now that I've exchanged 7 quarts + new filter, things are way better..for less than $100 for the two changes, I'll do it again no problem...it's not as daunting as I thought now that I've learned to extract the fluid before removing the sump...

@Grumpaw Everything I extracted plus all that I can get from the drip pan came to roughly 6.75 quarts...I made it 7 even accounting for the small amount that can't be scraped off from the pans/bucket...a cold running level check confirmed it's correct at 6 mark...adjusted for full temp should be right on at 5...

IMG_8113.JPG

Last edited:

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Your 2010 probably uses a traditional 4 speed slush box as opposed to this finicky 10 speed...I drive very gently too and guess what? At 93K the fluid was dirty...near black, tranny started shifting erratically...sometimes shifting hard, other times smooth...after my first 6.5 quart fluid change only, things improved but not to how it was prior...now that I've exchanged 7 quarts + new filter, things are way better..for less than $100 for the two changes, I'll do it again no problem...it's not as daunting as I thought now that I've learned to extract the fluid before removing the sump...

@Grumpaw Everything I extracted plus all that I can get from the drip pan came to roughly 6.75 quarts...I made it 7 even accounting for the small amount that can't be scraped off from the pans/bucket...a cold running level check confirmed it's correct at 6 mark...adjusted for full temp should be right on at 5...

IMG_8113.JPG
That makes sense.
I do kinda agree with doing it before waiting too long, because then it sounds like it's better to just leave it alone.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Hi Sid,

I see the Gazinta and gaouta are clearly indicated eh?

Best,
Phil
Thanks for the flashback to tech school, Phil.

Here are a couple:

That man is a caricature only. Nobody should ever take automotive advice from him.

LostMy65

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger
Thanks for the flashback to tech school, Phil.

That man is a caricature only. Nobody should ever take automotive advice from him.
He could be a great South Park character where the people of South Park take their vehicles to get worked on. And instead of him working on the car, the humor would be with yacking on with his exaggerated gestures and Cartman getting all ticked off swearing at him.

pouting-eric-cartman.gif

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
He could be a great South Park character where the people of South Park take their vehicles to get worked on. And instead of him working on the car, the humor would be with yacking on with his exaggerated gestures and Cartman getting all ticked off swearing at him.

pouting-eric-cartman.gif
Brilliant!
Sponsored