Has anyone done a complete 2019 Ranger oil/filter change by themselves yet?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
I've done 3 oil changes on our Ranger. Each time I have added 6 quarts, not 6.2. And each time it's full on the dipstick with 6 quarts. There is always some residual oil that remains in valleys and voids in the motor.

So in essence, the capacity is 6.2 quarts, but during an oil change adding an even 6.0 quarts has been ideal.
It’s just a suggestion to be close enough anyways. I had a jeep that took 6.5qts and I put 8 in it with an extended oil filter. It was fine, almost everyone with the same jeep the same.
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
It’s just a suggestion to be close enough anyways. I had a jeep that took 6.5qts and I put 8 in it with an extended oil filter. It was fine, almost everyone with the same jeep the same.
Very misleading post for folks uneducated in regard oil level in a motor. You can do severe engine damage by overfilling oil. If the oil is so high the crank hit's it, agitation and aeration occurs. You don't want "frothy" oil in the crankcase.

Sure if you run a different filter you have to take that into account. I run a truck filter on my small block 350 Chevy motors, but bottom line is the oil level in the motor itself does not change.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very misleading post for folks uneducated in regard oil level in a motor. You can do severe engine damage by overfilling oil. If the oil is so high the crank hit's it, agitation and aeration occurs. You don't want "frothy" oil in the crankcase.

Sure if you run a different filter you have to take that into account. I run a truck filter on my small block 350 Chevy motors, but bottom line is the oil level in the motor itself does not change.
I should disclaim this with “not all vehicles can be like this, but if you put 6.0 or 6.5 in a vehicle that claims 6.2 capacity, you’ll almost always be fine.”

The difference is literally 4-8 ounces which will never make a difference over or under.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
you’ll almost always be fine.
Why roll the dice?

Oil capacity, it's not a suggestion.. it's a specification.

It's really easy to just follow the specification and then you'll always be fine.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Why roll the dice?

Oil capacity, it's not a suggestion.. it's a specification.

It's really easy to just follow the specification and then you'll always be fine.
For the same reason you put 6.0 instead of 5.7 or 6.2 or 8.0.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The most difficult part of changing your own oil is lining up the drain pan for when you remove the oil filter! I am slowly re-sealing my driveway with an oil coating!
You can do what I do which I have stated in a previous post. Use my no spill oil deflector. I have never missed the drain pan when removing the drain plug or removing the oil filter. I have yet to get a drop on my garage floor. :thumbsup: :clap:

DSCN8187.JPG

DSCN8189.JPG

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
You can do what I do which I have stated in a previous post. Use my no spill oil deflector. I have never missed the drain pan when removing the drain plug or removing the oil filter. I have yet to get a drop on my garage floor. :thumbsup: :clap:

DSCN8189.JPG
This is great Larry. Can you post the CAD file for all forum members?

brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
The most difficult part of changing your own oil is lining up the drain pan for when you remove the oil filter! I am slowly re-sealing my driveway with an oil coating!
I rolled up and placed paper towels in the channel for the oil filter to catch the oil that comes out. Kept it from hitting the floor. Then I cleaned the channel out top to bottom.

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Content Provider For SPAM
Vehicle Showcase
I rolled up and placed paper towels in the channel for the oil filter to catch the oil that comes out. Kept it from hitting the floor. Then I cleaned the channel out top to bottom.
They make a huge rectangular oil pan (~ 3/4" in height) which is capable of collecting any oil spills BUT NOT 6.2 quarts of oil. It will keep your driveway or garage spotless.
(Doubles as a baking tray if you can fit it into your oven - just kidding)
Any auto parts stores will/should have them. Autozone for ~ $11 :)

Last edited:
OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Here is the image ...
Oil_Pan.JPG

OP
OP

DIYAndy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford 2019 Ranger XL
Occupation
Vehicle Showcase
Happy face drawn on Ford oil filter with markers are at 3,6,9 and 12 o'clock.
When the "pre-oiled" filter just makes contact with "metal" - take note of the "reference
markings and happy face" and turn the oil filter CW (additional) by hand another 1/2 to 3/4 turn.
I never had an oil filter leak on my Ford Ranger! IMHO :cool:
happy_face.JPG

Last edited:

JaketheMus

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford ranger
Occupation
Transit