Has anyone done a complete 2019 Ranger oil/filter change by themselves yet?

jfnatx

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Supercrew XLT
Did you happen to check your dipstick frequently enough to notice when your truck made the extra oil? Was it before or after the swapped out fuel pump? How many miles since the new fuel pump was put in?

And any update on the Blackstone report?
No. I didnt monitor the oil level at all as I was oblivious to this issue even existing. Fuel pump was replaced at 8100 miles. So only 400 miles on new pump.

Oil is being sent off today, 8/20. Had to go and purchase a 3oz container rather than wait for Blackstone to send me a kit.

At this point, truck as been taken to dealer and all they could do is drain my new oil, fill with motorcraft synthetic blend, tape up dip stick, tape up oil cap, and mark drain plug and asked me to return in 500 miles to prove beyond a reasonable doubt I am not responsible for excess oil being drained from truck. They didnt even pay attention to the 7 quarts I drained, didnt recognize fuel smell in the used oil I kept, nor confirmed any odor at dip stick. I even had to pay $54 to change the oil.

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
No. I didnt monitor the oil level at all as I was oblivious to this issue even existing. Fuel pump was replaced at 8100 miles. So only 400 miles on new pump.

Oil is being sent off today, 8/20. Had to go and purchase a 3oz container rather than wait for Blackstone to send me a kit.

At this point, truck as been taken to dealer and all they could do is drain my new oil, fill with motorcraft synthetic blend, tape up dip stick, tape up oil cap, and mark drain plug and asked me to return in 500 miles to prove beyond a reasonable doubt I am not responsible for excess oil being drained from truck. They didnt even pay attention to the 7 quarts I drained, didnt recognize fuel smell in the used oil I kept, nor confirmed any odor at dip stick. I even had to pay $54 to change the oil.

My truck has 33K miles on it now. Over a 7000 mile change I will lose about .25-.50qt. I drive harder than most, and I tow a big trailer a few times per oil change. I'm a firm believer that the giant oil cooler on this truck is not allowing the oil to make proper "burn off" temperature for those who drive conservatively, or only go on short trips all the time.

John Galt

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Prius
Well I’ve put about 4000 miles on the truck with my AluCab camper and “stage 2” tube. I practically live at 10,000 ft. I beat the crap out of the truck and the camper and gear weight roughly 750#. I didn’t measure any extra or less oil. It seemed good, not too dark. I think more humid climates could cause issues, as my eco post F150 had more issues when I lived in FL. Then again my tunes VW golf showed no issues every but that German engineering for you!

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Ranger Lariat
Did the first oil change on the Ranger today. Way easier than the F-150 V8. Steps are below. Thanks for all the write up guys, made things alot easier.

Oil Filter: Motor craft FL-400S
Oil: Motor craft SAE 5W-30, 6.2QTS
Tools:
-15mm socket and socket wrench
-Screw Driver and Interior Pin Removal Tool (optional)
-Oil Filter Wrench or like item to loosen Oil Filter
-Oil Catch Can
  1. Run the Ranger for 2 minutes to help loosen the filter.
  2. Turn Wheels towards the passenger side all the way.
  3. In driver's front wheel well, remove the 4 screws and plugs that holds the rubber protective material. This will expose the oil filter
  4. Use whatever oil filter tool to loosen the filter (I used an oil wrench)
  5. Remove engine oil cap to allow for additional air flow.
  6. Go under truck and remove the black skid plate that is just behind the sloping front end of the truck it has 4x15MM bolts.
  7. Place 1 catch pan behind the front sway bar bushing beyond the control arm.
  8. Place 1 catch pan under the oil pan bolt.
  9. Remove oil plug (15mm)
  10. Remove oil filter.
  11. Wipe both areas down with a clean rag
  12. Reinstall oil pan bolt or install your ADP-107 & 107N valve to replace (ensure the valve is closed & safety clip is installed)
  13. Install new filter; ensuring to lube the ring of the new filter with new oil.
  14. Fill engine with 5w-30 oil, 6.2 QTS
  15. Run engine, reset the Oil Monitor
  16. No leaks, reinstall skid plate and pins for wheel well protector.
  17. Record mileage in book, drive happy!

brockdog12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT
Changed my oil today. No skid plate under the oil pan. Rotated the tires, left the drivers wheel off to get to the filter easier. Used a rubber band type wrench for the oil filter. Wasn’t that hard to do, also replaced the air filter. Mobil 1, 5W-30, Motorcraft oil and air filters. 7200 miles on the truck.

VoodooRanger

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Changed my oil yesterday afternoon for the first time at 4,546 miles. Oil life monitor still showed 48% at reset. Went with the Motorcraft 910 filter and Pennzoil Platinum 5w30 which is currently at $22 for a 5 quart jug at Walmart. Ultra is currently at $21 for the same jug if ordered online(no one has it on stock locally).

4A7B3E7F-1164-4E88-B28F-901447BA868C.jpeg

F442A13F-F2CD-4E5E-A3FA-223CB225BA25.jpeg

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I would love to switch to Ultra Platinum, but nobody ever has it. Plus I have like 25 jugs of Mobile1 5w30 because my truck and my wife's edge (2011 Sport) are on the same sauce. So I buy as much as I can every time I can with the mail in rebate (12$ off each jug for up to 4 jugs). I end up getting it for 12$ each which is cheap for a good oil like Mobil1.

I was driving ~3000 miles a month for years, but now I'm not going to the office anymore, I don't really need to get each oil change as cheaply since they last a longer calendar duration now.

jlc60

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger
Occupation
retired
When changing oil, why doesn't car and truck manufactures use even qt. numbers instead of 5.7 qt. or 6.2 qt., "so on, so no"?

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
When changing oil, why doesn't car and truck manufactures use even qt. numbers instead of 5.7 qt. or 6.2 qt., "so on, so no"?
It’s really hard to accurately measure the capacity of a system with tubes and radiators and pumps and cavities. So when they build it, they would have to add excess capacity somewhere in the lines or radiators (to make it even) that they don’t have room for in the engine bay, or the budget. This is also why cars with the same engine platform often have different capacities.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
The most difficult part of changing your own oil is lining up the drain pan for when you remove the oil filter! I am slowly re-sealing my driveway with an oil coating!

24dRanger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew 4x4
Occupation
Software Engineer
The most difficult part of changing your own oil is lining up the drain pan for when you remove the oil filter! I am slowly re-sealing my driveway with an oil coating!
Cheap kitty litter is your friend

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That little drain pan is so hard to judge :) I have a fumoto and a 20” piece of tube, so I just put the entire drain pan under the a arm and route the drain tube over there.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I've done 3 oil changes on our Ranger. Each time I have added 6 quarts, not 6.2. And each time it's full on the dipstick with 6 quarts. There is always some residual oil that remains in valleys and voids in the motor.

So in essence, the capacity is 6.2 quarts, but during an oil change adding an even 6.0 quarts has been ideal.
Sponsored