GM Canyon and Colorado poll

Knowing what you know about your truck, would you purchase it all over again?

• Total voters

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat CC Black FX2 (Wife's), 2017 Rubicon 2d
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
Nick

I knew I wanted the 5th Gen Ranger, as soon as I heard about its' release in the USA. Technically, I wanted the 2012 Australia version when I noticed Ford didn't stop building it... I would've bought a 2019, but wasn't financially set too back then, so I bought a new 2021 in October! Love it so far, just slowly waiting for all my parts to show up.

All that being said, I did look at the Tacoma. I attempted to test drive a '21 Tacoma Crew Cab TRD Sport 4X4, which listed for a little over $40k, this past April. With the seat slid all the way back, my legs were still in a funky, uncomfortable position and my head/hair was touching the headliner... I did like it was a naturally aspirated V6, but it has roughly the same power that the Ranger did and the Ranger's easier to get more power out of.

The Taco world around here is insane! They're absolutely everywhere and everywhere I go, I see them! I prefer to be different and they're aren't that many Rangers around town, at least compared to Tacoma's.

I thought about a newer Canyon, but only to drop an LS in it and have a modern day Syclone :p
Sponsored

AdamHarris

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Black Supercrew
Occupation
Collision Repair Instructor
Vehicle Showcase
Every truck has something that I like. If I could go to the dealer and buy a Ford Super Duty chassis and cab, with Cummins diesel and Allison transmission, I would have one.
You can. It’s called an F-650

Brett Fields

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat FX4, Blackout, Tow
Occupation
Paramedic
These polls will always be biased in favor of the truck forum it’s posted on, so grain of salt.
Except...
Negative responses are all from first hand info. They are not the commentary of people who just read something somewhere and rehashed that unsourced opinion.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
In retrospect, I'm really glad I ended up with my Lariat. The more I read about the complexity, maintenance, and recurring problems with the diesel exhaust management systems on the Duramax, the more I'm thankful I avoided going down that rat hole. I'm amazed at the towing power available from a four-cylinder gas engine. With a few suspension mods, it's become a great and effective tow vehicle.
A small diesel was arguably a good idea 20 or 30 years ago. Today, in the US? No.

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
A small diesel was arguably a good idea 20 or 30 years ago. Today, in the US? No.
I work with so many kids and adults, all men (children), that buy diesel trucks and drive them everyday, just to say they own a diesel 4x4... There are a couple who actually use them as a diesel's intended to be used, but for daily driving, 7 days a week, I just don't understand it...

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
You can. It’s called an F-650
I’m not aware of a Ford truck without the usual Ford engine and transmission. There used to be a company that specialized in installing the Cummins B-series diesel into Ford and GM trucks, but I haven’t seen that in a long time. F250/350 with the Cummins from RAM and Allison from GM woul be just right. A medium-duty powertain in a light-duty chassis. I’d have “roll my own” with 20 year old pre-emissions parts to make it work, and I don’t have the time or space to devote to a project this large. It makes more sense (however absurdly expensive) to buy or lease new trucks and get rid of them before the warranty expires.

12Bravo20

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
retired
I looked at all of the mid sized trucks before buying my Ranger.

I probably will never buy/own another GM product ever. I have been burned by GM too many times with bad products and recalls that takes years to fix.

After looking at all of the available mid size trucks paying attention to towing capacity, comfort, and ease of getting in and out of them, my choices boiled down to the Jeep Gladiator and the Ford Ranger. Deep down I am a Jeep guy but the Ranger won out for its towing capacity and ease of getting in and out of the vehicle. I am disabled so entry/exit is very important.

Plus the Ranger is just fun to drive. I love the looks on peoples faces with their big V8's when I bet them off the line.

One thing I did not like about the GM trucks (besides getting burned by GM) is the fact that you have to step up to the V6 to get any kind of decent towing capacity. The Colorado/Canyon with a 4 cylinder didn't have much more towing capacity than my 2016 Jeep Cherokee.

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I test drove one. I had an employee discount available, I liked the long box option, but no adaptive cruise and the fact that GM threw me and several thousand others people out of a job soured me on that particular truck.

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
I think all trucks have positives and negatives and some have a cult following. With that being said, the 5G Ranger checks all the boxes with me. Out of all the midsize trucks, it has the nicest interior, the best drivetrain and best looks. Of course this is my opinion.

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
I think all trucks have positives and negatives and some have a cult following. With that being said, the 5G Ranger checks all the boxes with me. Out of all the midsize trucks, it has the nicest interior, the best drivetrain and best looks. Of course this is my opinion.
The only thing I didn't like about the Ranger, (before I drove it), was it was a 4 cyl turbo... I loved everything else about it though!

But, BUT, once I drove it, it felt like it had so much more power than the 4Runner TRD Sport I drove, just minutes before it! The 4Runner wasn't nearly top of the line and was $49k!!!!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
The only thing I didn't like about the Ranger, (before I drove it), was it was a 4 cyl turbo... I loved everything else about it though!

But, BUT, once I drove it, it felt like it had so much more power than the 4Runner TRD Sport I drove, just minutes before it! The 4Runner wasn't nearly top of the line and was $49k!!!!
Jason I too was very reluctant when I saw the Ranger had a 4cyl in it. I've never owned one let alone a turbo but after driving it I was very surprised how fast it was. Even today with it tuned I still smile and laugh at how stupid fast this little 4 banger is. I'll be going 70 and punch it and see triple digits in in no time. :shock:

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet

That was a problem to me too until I drove one. I thought a truck was too much weight for a turbo 4 an the motor wouldn't hold up long term

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
I still get people scoffing when I tell them my Ranger is a 4cyl… they just don’t know. Same folks talked junk about my 2.7 EB f-150 Lariat until it ran a 12 second pass… lol. It was tuned on E30

Mirage775

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Journeyman Waterworker
Vehicle Showcase
I still get people scoffing when I tell them my Ranger is a 4cyl… they just don’t know. Same folks talked junk about my 2.7 EB f-150 Lariat until it ran a 12 second pass… lol. It was tuned on E30
LOL, I would've been one of those people talking about the F150, LOL! I always said a fullsize truck is supposed to have a V8 in it :) Of course, I also used to say, whatever the biggest engine available for whatever vehicle should be bought with it!

My last Ranger had a 4.0 V6 and would blow away the 3.0 V6 easily and we're not even going to talk about the old 2.3 4cyl available back then :(

But yea, my co-workers are apparently helping me make payments/decisions on my truck, since they seem to be giving me so much automotive advice lately.... Side note, I know more about vehicles, then any of these guys at work do! I restored my first classic truck when I was 19 or 20 and here it is, my '55 Ford F-100, built 302 with a C4 auto, manual everything, no A/C:
1934623_1040764387598_5407637_n.jpg

So, that being said, I don't care what other peoples' comments are in person, friends or co-workers. You have to drive the Ranger to actually understand what I'm talking about and I sure as hell ain't going to let my co-workers drive it! The only people that have driven my truck are, my wife and step-father. My wife wants one now and my step-father is getting his this Wednesday :)
Screenshot 2021-11-27 at 18-23-29 New 2021 Ford Ranger For Sale at Long-Lewis Ford of Hoover V...png

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
Nick

I knew I wanted the 5th Gen Ranger, as soon as I heard about its' release in the USA. Technically, I wanted the 2012 Australia version when I noticed Ford didn't stop building it... I would've bought a 2019, but wasn't financially set too back then, so I bought a new 2021 in October! Love it so far, just slowly waiting for all my parts to show up.

All that being said, I did look at the Tacoma. I attempted to test drive a '21 Tacoma Crew Cab TRD Sport 4X4, which listed for a little over $40k, this past April. With the seat slid all the way back, my legs were still in a funky, uncomfortable position and my head/hair was touching the headliner... I did like it was a naturally aspirated V6, but it has roughly the same power that the Ranger did and the Ranger's easier to get more power out of.

The Taco world around here is insane! They're absolutely everywhere and everywhere I go, I see them! I prefer to be different and they're aren't that many Rangers around town, at least compared to Tacoma's.

I thought about a newer Canyon, but only to drop an LS in it and have a modern day Syclone :p
I had the same experience with a Tacoma. Originally it was my only plan but after driving one, I hated almost everything about it. Seating was horrible, no visibility to edge of hood, ride was terrible. It's clear that the reason it was #1 for so long was almost entirely based on lack of competition.
Sponsored