GM Canyon and Colorado poll

Knowing what you know about your truck, would you purchase it all over again?

• Total voters

halligan1201

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger
Occupation
Emergency Management
Vehicle Showcase
I think all trucks have positives and negatives and some have a cult following. With that being said, the 5G Ranger checks all the boxes with me. Out of all the midsize trucks, it has the nicest interior, the best drivetrain and best looks. Of course this is my opinion.
I'm here to confirm your opinion is correct. According to my opinion anyways.
Sponsored

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I had the same experience with a Tacoma. Originally it was my only plan but after driving one, I hated almost everything about it. Seating was horrible, no visibility to edge of hood, ride was terrible. It's clear that the reason it was #1 for so long was almost entirely based on lack of competition.
If you go over to Tacoma World and look back to 2019 when the Ranger first came out they were all laughing at it. Mostly about the small 2.3 4cyl turbo and of course it looks terrible. Fast forward today when the Taco is now in 3rd and the Ranger sits where? ??

https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/ranger-bests-tacoma.16730/#post-339385

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
Funny how every discussion of competing brands/models turns into a Tacoma-bashing event. I had a 2010, and it was a great truck. I think that 2015 was the final year of the 4.0l V6, and I wouldn’t buy any V6 later than that. Everything good about it has been replaced by a desperate effort to increase fuel efficiency. The 4-banger is a hidden gem, as long as you get the manual trans and extended or regular cab.

Last edited:

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Funny how every discussion of competing brands/models turns into a Tacoma-bashing event. I had a 2010, and it was a great truck. I think that 2015 was the final year of the 4.0l V6, and I wouldn’t but any V6 later than that. Everything good about it has been replaced by a desperate effort to increase fuel efficiency. The 4-banger is a hidden gem, as long as you get the manual trans and extended or regular cab.
Well they kind of deserve it. They're just as bad as (most) Glock guys who "think" what they own is superior to all others and yours is junk. Now to be fair I should've said specifically the 3rd Gen Taco because the 2nd Gen was a good truck. Minus the rusted out frames of course.:wink: :lipssealed:

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
Beautiful trucks!!

LOL, I would've been one of those people talking about the F150, LOL! I always said a fullsize truck is supposed to have a V8 in it :) Of course, I also used to say, whatever the biggest engine available for whatever vehicle should be bought with it!

My last Ranger had a 4.0 V6 and would blow away the 3.0 V6 easily and we're not even going to talk about the old 2.3 4cyl available back then :(

But yea, my co-workers are apparently helping me make payments/decisions on my truck, since they seem to be giving me so much automotive advice lately.... Side note, I know more about vehicles, then any of these guys at work do! I restored my first classic truck when I was 19 or 20 and here it is, my '55 Ford F-100, built 302 with a C4 auto, manual everything, no A/C:
1934623_1040764387598_5407637_n.jpg

So, that being said, I don't care what other peoples' comments are in person, friends or co-workers. You have to drive the Ranger to actually understand what I'm talking about and I sure as hell ain't going to let my co-workers drive it! The only people that have driven my truck are, my wife and step-father. My wife wants one now and my step-father is getting his this Wednesday :)
Screenshot 2021-11-27 at 18-23-29 New 2021 Ford Ranger For Sale at Long-Lewis Ford of Hoover V...png

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
Whoa….. I am a Glock owner. ?
Well they kind of deserve it. They're just as bad as (most) Glock guys who "think" what they own is superior to all others and yours is junk. Now to be fair I should've said specifically the 3rd Gen Taco because the 2nd Gen was a good truck. Minus the rusted out frames of course.:wink: :lipssealed:

slowmachine

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Jeep Wrangler, waiting for a Ranger PHEV
It’s a big mistake to think that Toyota is unique with frame rust problems. Every other brand of body-on-frame truck is similar in salt country. It’s all about the maintenance, and undercoating all but eliminates the catastrophe on every brand.

Last edited:

mtbikernate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT 4x4
we're not even going to talk about the old 2.3 4cyl available back then :(
My 98 Ranger XLT had the 2.5L 4cyl, with MT, 2wd, reg cab, short wb, splash. Interestingly, the rated fuel economy on that one is pretty close to what I get in my current one. In spite of it being a bigger truck, with 4wd, and a much more powerful (yet smaller) engine. With a manual, it wasn't so bad. No, I wasn't blowing anyone's doors off. But it was a good little first pickup truck.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
It’s a big mistake to think that Toyota is unique with frame rust problems. Every other brand of body-on-frame truck is similar in salt country. It’s all about the maintenance, and undercoating all but eliminates the catastrophe on every brand.
I never said it was specific to the Tacoma and sure other vehicles do rust. But Toyota did have a massive recall, 690,000, which tells me this isn't your ordinary rust issue. Then after all that they had the same issues with some 2012 models so yes it is unique to this specific model or they wouldn't have had a recall for normal rust.

When I lived in MA we went up to ME, NH and Canada a lot in the winter snowmobiling and I (or any of my friends) who had Fords ever had any rust issues like this.

https://carfromjapan.com/article/industry-knowledge/the-history-of-toyota-tacoma-frame-recall/

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
Every truck has something that I like. If I could go to the dealer and buy a Ford Super Duty chassis and cab, with Cummins diesel and Allison transmission, I would have one.
You don't want an Allison transmission. Half of our work trucks have them, they're pieces of shit. Only transmission I've ever driven with a shift inhibit needed to protect them.

Peragrin

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Purchasing
I had a list of requirements when I started looking in the spring of 2020. tow rating 7500 pounds. crew cab, andriod auto, etc. At the time the only vehicle that had all of those easily was the ranger.

in april 29th 2020 I test drove a 2019 ranger with all the features I wanted. I was going to lose a bit as my jeep was worth $2000 less than i owed but I had a 9am appointment saturday may 2nd 2020 to work out a deal. on Friday May 1st at 2:20pm I was fired.

it took a year to find a replacement job. hundreds of applications. dozens of interviews. and after I settled into the new job a bit I went truck hunting again.

This time I found on a lot a 2021 xlt ranger with all I wanted(plus a few extras) and they gave me $4k more for my jeep than the previous year.

As for a Taco? well I couldn't find one with features I wanted. and Taco's they charge extra for. Since 2016 Taco's have had a few incentives to purchase and often went at MSRP.
Colorado/canyon? I might be able to find the full 7500 tow rating but it was extremely difficult. (I think I found 2 in NH and MA combined). combine with the dated interior. made it a non starter.
Nissan Frontier? was updated for 2022, but last updated in 2010. talk about dated.
Sponsored