First Name
Wiliam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Occupation
Procurement
I considered he GMs but could not get past the crappy interiors...Ranger rules!
87260983-16D1-42D0-81A4-CA336F25A229.jpeg
I’m currently in the market and brand agnostic, what about the GMC interior did you think was superior in the Ranger? Thanks
Sponsored

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
Fyi below, but as a former sales guy (IT) I heard a saying from my partners in crime that the only people who lie more than sales people are customers, YMMV.

One study conducted in 2014 listed the top 10 least honest (the number following indicates the percentage of survey respondents who believed the profession trustworthy):

Lobbyists – 6%
Members of Congress – 8%
Car salespeople – 9%
State office holders – 14%
Advertising practitioners – 14%
TV reporters – 20%
Lawyers – 20%
Newspaper reporters – 21%
Business executives – 22%
Local office holders – 23%
I don't see damper-philes on that list:question:

caprtaineddie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Explorer, Corvette, 2020 Ranger Lariat
I’m currently in the market and brand agnostic, what about the GMC interior did you think was superior in the Ranger? Thanks
I came from a 2016 Canyon SLT to the Ranger. I think the GMC interior was at least on par with the Ranger and in a couple of cases, better (leather steering wheel, position of window control switches and visibility of HVAC controls). To me, though, the Ranger's seats are much more comfortable and my Lariat has several features that weren't offered on the Canyon. The Ranger's sound system is far superior as well. I hope this helps.

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
Same here....I look for the best I can afford. I have had over 30 vehicles of 9 different brands, and was spoiled by VW‘s level of quality interiors.

The Chevy and GMC interiors were identical...nothing more upscale on GMC. The same cheap plastics, the feel of the dials and controls was chintz, poor fit and finish. Even the shifter is just a one or 2 piece blob of black plastic. Overall just looked low scale and low rent compared to the Ranger.

Stevie Gee

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Rancho Santa Margarita (Orange County),CA
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew FX4
Occupation
Retired Fed - H.U.D. (Housing and Urban Development)
Vehicle Showcase
Now get those windows tinted! ha
?The cops are tough on tint here in CA...I’m good with the stock, slightly darker rear windows, plus I need people to see my one-finger-NewYork-Italian-salute when they pull some crap on the road.

Ranger Danger01

First Name
Ernie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
Vehicle Showcase
I switched over from a 2017Colorado Z71 4x4(I know...it's not a Canyon..but it's basically the same stinkin truck) because I was having issues with the transmission shudder (like going over speed strips when coming to a stop sign type of shudder) and was told that it would be 2 to 3 weeks just to get it in to see about fixing the problem (the dealership said their transmission guy was booked solid...) so I said the heck with it and went out the day after Thanksgiving last year and bought a Ranger. 25k miles later and I'm still smiling away!

USMMA

First Name
Wiliam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Audi
Occupation
Procurement
Thanks, I originally wasn’t considering GMC/Chevy because of the known transmission issues, but I think those have been mostly solved by now, my wife prefers the Ranger but I think I’m still on the fence........which means we’ll probably end up with a Ranger

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
The transmissions issues in the Gm twins are pretty much solved. All it took was a fluid change. There are a few folks that have the shudder problem persist, but that's rare and they needed a torque converter. As far as interiors go, there's good and bad with both. I like my Colorado's steering wheel better. Ergonomically, the Colorado is just laid out better. Cupholders are in a much better spot, usb in the arm rest. Its just easier to use overall. Rangers seats are much better and I love the fact it has a proper foot rest. I like looks of the Ranger gauges better and the larger touch screen is nice and seems to work well. Definitely prettier looking inside. The Colorado drives smoother, but I like the Rangers transmission and the shifters capabilities. Full manual and sport mode are damn fun. I do have the same pet peeve with both trucks. The rear sliding window. Why in the hell do NEITHER have a powered sliding window?? Seriously? Solid glass or powered. Manual sliding is just dumb with crew cabs.

weasel1

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lighting Blue FX4 w/302A
Occupation
Nuclear Operator
One more thing to add: Bed size. With the GM twins, you can get a 6'2" with a crew cab. The only way to get a long box with a Ranger is to get the extended cab. I guess the point is, I don't think either truck is far superior to the other. They both do the same job, but a little differently. Whatever suits you is the right choice and as long as it's not a Ridgeline, your ok in my books ?

drcollie

First Name
Duane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Lariat "Snow" edition
I came very close to buying a used 2019 GMC Canyon that was in excellent shape, for about $ 4K less than the new Ranger XLT 4x4 I wound up with. The deal breaker and why I walked away from the GMC were:

1) Absolutely gutless 4 cyl engine. Very weak, constantly downshifting and will barely get out of its own way.. If you go with Chevy/GMC get the 6 cylinder.

2) Worst headlights I have ever seen on a modern vehicle. They throw as much light as a 1960 Bel-Aire. The Chevy/GMC forums have several threads on HID or LED conversions, so there are many unhappy with them.

3) No electric mirror adjustments, both mirrors are manual only in the base trim level.

I could not be more pleased with the 2020 Ranger Supercab. it exceeds my initial expectations. One gripe I have with it is that when I open the rear doors to put cargo in the back behind the driver's seat, I have knocked myself silly hitting the upper door catch with my head as I lean in. Twice - and it hurts like hell. I need to paint that part day-glo red.

Okinawa Joe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Boss 302, 2022 Ranger XLT/Splash/FX4
Occupation
Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Shop Owner
When I purchased my 2020 lariat I could’ve gotten a better deal on a Canyon Denalli. But I can’t stand the way they look. The at4 looks better, but still square and boxy with the look of a diesel locomotive.
My son had a new GMC 1500 AT4, for exactly 1 month, brand new truck, paint issues, rattles, poor panel fits. Hell of a lot of features for the money, mushy squirrelly ride for a truck. Carvana gave him $7k more than he paid. New F-150 2.7 Ecoboost in his driveway now, happy camper. I didn't have the heart to tell him, been there done that, GM just doesn't cut it after owning Ford trucks.

lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
One more thing to add: Bed size. With the GM twins, you can get a 6'2" with a crew cab. The only way to get a long box with a Ranger is to get the extended cab. I guess the point is, I don't think either truck is far superior to the other. They both do the same job, but a little differently. Whatever suits you is the right choice and as long as it's not a Ridgeline, your ok in my books ?
I tell my wife that the Ridgeline is a truck shaped car.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
We have both a Ranger and a Canyon. There are pros and cons to each and so close I look at them as commodities. I had a Colorado ZR2 that I swapped for the Ranger and other than softer seats in the Ranger Tremor and the different power curve of the engines, I really can't point to any major differences that matter to me. Neither of those made one better than the other, just different experience.

Utah_Bound

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, 2021 Renegade Upland 4x4
Occupation
Plumber
I briefly cross shopped the Colorado and Canyon, but after seeing the endless issues they have with their transmission I just noped out. I feel that for a vehicle that I will be heavily modifying, I need a solid foundation with proven reliability. The Ranger is the 3rd 2.3 ford vehicle I have owned. First being a Mustang that I tuned to the tits with over 400HP, second being my RS that I popped the head gasket on twice before getting my Type R. The head gasket thing later came out as a screw up on Fords part, not an engine reliability issue. I know these transmissions are in the F-150, and we have a REAL Dana 44. GM can not say the same about their outdated engines and poorly designed transmission that constantly needs repaired.
Sponsored