Those coming from Taco / Colorado / Canyon - What are your thoughts on the Ranger so far?

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I see lots of previous Taco owners that have come over to the Ranger in this thread: What car/truck are you replacing with the new Ranger?

What are your thoughts so far? What are the biggest differences (good or bad) that you've experienced so far with the Ranger vs your last truck?
Sponsored

BadRobot65

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FJ Cruiser 2008
Traded a 2017 Tacoma for the 2019 Lariat Ranger not sorry at all, the Tacoma was a nice truck but it didn't have any of the comforts of the Ranger, plus the Range has more pep.

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
2006 Tacoma but I also tested a 2018. The Tacoma looks good and has a lot of features. Itā€™s pretty reliable. There is tons of aftermarket stuff and a good community. The 2016+ truck just isnā€™t enjoyable to drive though. The seating position is uncomfortable, the visibility isnā€™t great, the brakes are unpleasantly sensitive, the headroom is low but most of all itā€™s quite sluggish with most of the power in the high RPMs. I just found the actual experience of driving the Ranger, on road, more enjoyable in every way. I liked my ā€˜03 Tacoma, and my ā€˜06 Tacoma, but I donā€™t like this latest generation at all. The complaints I listed above are very very common on those trucks. It still has a lot to offer off-roaders, but Iā€™m a daily driver and occasional tower.

TGinAZ

Threads
Reaction score
Website
flagstaffactionshooters.org
Vehicle(s)
Sold '96 Ford Ranger to get a '19 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Retired
I had a '96 Ford Ranger with only 93k miles.... I sold it more easily than I expected and waiting for months for my new one is just painful!

But I looked at the Colorado and Tacoma. I didn't like the Colorado... no particular reason, just didn't feel like "my truck". There are 6 trim levels for the Tacoma... I hated the ride on the TRD Off-Road, but was happy with the TRD Sport.

But I finally decided on the Ranger sight unseen.... I got to drive one at the dealer's a few weeks ago and I was pleased. Makes me much more comfortable in my decision to wait for one.

ROJOBO

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1999 Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
I have had two Tacomas since 1988. Currently driving my 1999 I bought new. I drove the new Tacoma, Colorado, Canyon and Ranger. I have never been a Ford man, but I ordered a Ranger. I think I will be real happy with it. I just wasn't comfortable in the new Tacoma and the 4 cyl is gutless.

jcardona1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Toyota 4Runner Trail edition / '04 Nissan Frontier / '96 Toyota Land Cruiser
It's always entertaining to read opinions from both sides of the fence.

Same topic on the Tacoma forums: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/new-ranger-3rd-gen-tacoma-my-personal-experiences.597107/

I'm still undecided between the Ranger and Tacoma. Test drove the Ranger, really liked everything about it. But deep down my heart wants a Tacoma. Waiting to see the 2020 model and see if the seating position is better now that it finally has power seats. One big disappointment in the Ranger for me is how Ford handled the folding rear seats and under seat storage. They really screwed this one up and it's hard to overlook. The Tacoma rear seat design is great with the storage and 60/40 folding. Power sliding rear window is another big plus. We'll see...

djrobb

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Tacoma 4dr Sport Long Bed
Vehicle Showcase
I'm still on the fence. I decided to wait until the 2020 Tacoma and Ranger are released in the Fall. I fully expect by then the Ranger will cool down and the dealer will have plenty of incentivized stock. I like that the Tacoma will have all the safety tech and JBL. I almost bought a TRD Pro yesterday. But for $45K plus, I decided also that was not a great deal since the 2020 Tacoma will offer new entertainment tech as well.

If Ford has F150 style incentives I will buy it. If The price is the same as Tacoma, I will likely choose the Tacoma. I had three Rangers and Four Tacomas over the years, Not afraid of the Ford, but even money prefers the Tacoma........Lots of things can change between now and then though.
The new seats in the Tacoma should make a big difference. For me when Toyota didnā€™t fix the engine/transmission combo for 2020 that sealed the Ranger for me. Neither truck is perfect, just depends on where you want to make a compromise.

FLEngineer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew
Vehicle Showcase
It's always entertaining to read opinions from both sides of the fence.

Same topic on the Tacoma forums: https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads/new-ranger-3rd-gen-tacoma-my-personal-experiences.597107/

I'm still undecided between the Ranger and Tacoma. Test drove the Ranger, really liked everything about it. But deep down my heart wants a Tacoma. Waiting to see the 2020 model and see if the seating position is better now that it finally has power seats. One big disappointment in the Ranger for me is how Ford handled the folding rear seats and under seat storage. They really screwed this one up and it's hard to overlook. The Tacoma rear seat design is great with the storage and 60/40 folding. Power sliding rear window is another big plus. We'll see...
Wow, fellow members, please promise me to never let this forum regress to resemble that forum. I've read worse but honestly, the OP is just flaming and the masses are fanning the flames.

jcardona1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'14 Toyota 4Runner Trail edition / '04 Nissan Frontier / '96 Toyota Land Cruiser
Wow, fellow members, please promise me to never let this forum regress to resemble that forum. I've read worse but honestly, the OP is just flaming and the masses are fanning the flames.
Yeah his complaints #1 and #2 seem a bit bogus because those are the areas I feel the Ranger wins over the Tacoma :crazy:

technological_marvel

First Name
Evan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shadow Black Ranger LARIAT FX4
Some of the arguments on that thread literally come down to "it's not a Toyota." Well okay, guess we know where the Tacoma forum stands on that issue...

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XLT FX4/ 2023 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
Ha! I read through plenty of that and couldn't help but laugh. Those fanbois appear to be taking opinion as gospel and lashing out due to their own insecurities. What a nasty thread. I see Tacoma owners staring at my truck everyday. I guess when you spend $40k on a truck with a fake hood vent, a transmission from the 90's and a seat that doesn't move; you stay pretty angry. No hate on Tacoma owners either, just not for me.

chasvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat
Vehicle Showcase
Loving my Ranger! Had a 1999 and a 2004 and bought a Tacoma in 2017 because there wasn't a New Ranger to buy! The Taco (TRDOR 4X4) was a DOG! Sold the Taco for this Ranger and am glad I did!

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XLT FX4/ 2023 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
From that thread

"Shitty truck, shitty engine and the shitty transmission, we've known all of these are shit for years... put them all together why would you not expect it to be total shit? Is anyone honestly surprised? "

Lol. He's sure done his research. What a knob.