Those coming from Taco / Colorado / Canyon - What are your thoughts on the Ranger so far?

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Im a current owner of a 2017 TRD Pro Tacoma and have recently started looking more at the Rangers. Do any of the people who have made the switch have some real world driving opinions to share? I have the OVTune on my Tacoma and it still doesn't drive great, transmission shifting is meh, engine bogging down constantly, etc. I'd really like to drive a Ranger to see how it feels with the 10 speed transmission. I guess one good thing about my Tacoma might be the resale value if I sell/trade ;) BTW, the Tacoma World forum is full of arrogant kids, and its easily the worst forum I've ever been a part of.
I switched from a 2016 Tacoma to a Ranger, In my case other than aesthetics,I like the Ford better. Much better drivetrain. Much better acceleration, Much better tech......Looks are subjective. I like the Tacoma look better but that's no reason to buy them when Ford has stepped up to the plate and knocked it out....
Sponsored

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
That’s true. Android and Apple will be on the 2020 Taco for some trims though.
Gentlemen, a question on Apple-Car-Play features in the Ranger (mine will come, they say, in mid-August). Is it possible to control the entertainment function through the Apple Car Play screen, say, listening to music on one's I-Phone, while using the built-in GPS map via sync? I tried this briefly during a test drive, and it seemed to me that we had to choose Apple's Maps app as long as Apple-Car-Play was activated. Can you use the Sync-provided maps for guidance to destinations while listening to music on your IPhone? Probably there is a way, but I did not have enough time to figure it out. Does anyone who sees this as a problem have a solution for it?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
Gentlemen, a question on Apple-Car-Play features in the Ranger (mine will come, they say, in mid-August). Is it possible to control the entertainment function through the Apple Car Play screen, say, listening to music on one's I-Phone, while using the built-in GPS map via sync? I tried this briefly during a test drive, and it seemed to me that we had to choose Apple's Maps app as long as Apple-Car-Play was activated. Can you use the Sync-provided maps for guidance to destinations while listening to music on your IPhone? Probably there is a way, but I did not have enough time to figure it out. Does anyone who sees this as a problem have a solution for it?
If the phone is plugged in (and carplay is enabled) you can't use the map, but you can stream music from the phone via Bluetooth without plugging it in.

OP
OP
Anthony

Anthony

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 SCrew
Occupation
COO
Vehicle Showcase
I have CarPlay and use Google Maps (and occasionally Waze) via my iPhone. You are not required to use Apple Maps. You can also listen to pretty much anything you want while using it.

I jump between Podcasts, Apple Music and Satellite Radio all while the Maps are still navigating (granted you have to switch back to the map after you choose your audio preference, but if you are navigating, it does not lose your spot while you switch around). It's just like using it on the phone, when you go into other apps, your active apps are still working in the background, whether that's music or a map. The nice thing is you can still listen to non-phone audio (AM/FM/Satellite) while utilizing the phone's maps too.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
I have CarPlay and use Google Maps (and occasionally Waze) via my iPhone. You are not required to use Apple Maps. You can also listen to pretty much anything you want while using it.

I jump between Podcasts, Apple Music and Satellite Radio all while the Maps are still navigating (granted you have to switch back to the map after you choose your audio preference, but if you are navigating, it does not lose your spot while you switch around). It's just like using it on the phone, when you go into other apps, your active apps are still working in the background, whether that's music or a map. The nice thing is you can still listen to non-phone audio (AM/FM/Satellite) while utilizing the phone's maps too.
Dear Anthony: Thanks very much! I will have to compare SYNC, APPLE MAPS, and GOOGLE MAPS to find the one I like best over time. Regards, Marc

NOVA_Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
I traded a 2014 Tacoma Off-Road for my Ranger. The Tacoma, a "GEN2' was a great little truck and I had almost zero issues over the course of 85k miles, including a lot of time spent off-road. The 4.0L was so-so in terms of power and gas mileage was terrible compared to the available power, but the truck was still very capable off pavement. I'd describe the interior as 'basic'...which was a plus and minus in my book. The cabin was a little cramped, the seats weren't comfortable, and it just lacked the creature comforts I'd like a daily-driver to have.

The Ranger drive train absolutely blows the Tacoma's out of the water, not even close, and that was the major selling point for me. I also like the Ranger's roomier cabin with more comfort and technology. Time will tell if the Ranger is as reliable and off-road capable as the Tacoma but I'm confident it will be. Very happy with the Ranger so far and haven't missed the Tacoma yet.

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
If the phone is plugged in (and carplay is enabled) you can't use the map, but you can stream music from the phone via Bluetooth without plugging it in.
Great, thanks, Mike!

TacoHawkRanger

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Sport; 2013 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Occupation
Site Developer, USAF
Im a current owner of a 2017 TRD Pro Tacoma and have recently started looking more at the Rangers. Do any of the people who have made the switch have some real world driving opinions to share? I have the OVTune on my Tacoma and it still doesn't drive great, transmission shifting is meh, engine bogging down constantly, etc. I'd really like to drive a Ranger to see how it feels with the 10 speed transmission. I guess one good thing about my Tacoma might be the resale value if I sell/trade ;) BTW, the Tacoma World forum is full of arrogant kids, and its easily the worst forum I've ever been a part of.
I have yet to drive my Ranger, but my wife has. I have loved Toyota trucks since I started driving, and her dream truck was a Tacoma when when we got married. I tried to like the Gen3. I really did. But that drivetrain just killed it for me. Better gas mileage than a Gen2 but the power band is all wrong for a truck (in fact, a Gen2 will out accelerate a Gen3 because of how early the torque hits!)

Anyway, I grilled my wife when I called her to ask about her Ranger driving experiences: She was instantly comfortable driving it, even though it is a little taller (she hates big trucks, one reason why I picked Ranger of F-150) and had zero issues in heavy traffic. She loves the available power and couldn't believe how easy it was to accelerate past other vehicles. On the technology front, neither of us are familiar with the tech in the Gen3, but her '13 TRD Sport has most of the bells and whistles of that year. She much prefers the Ranger and has messaged me randomly with "did you know your truck does xyz?"

While I have yet to even see it in person, I am confident that that it is every inch the truck I expect it to be. It may not be quite as capable as Taco offroad, but I'm not an extreme offroader.

I stopped going to Tacoma World when the Gen2/Gen3 fights started... Please Ranger5g, be respectful!

LightningBlue

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lightning Blue XLT FX4/ 2023 Subaru Forester
Vehicle Showcase
You can use all sync functions while the phone is plugged in, you can switch between Apple CarPlay and sync very easily. So yes, you can.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
You can use all sync functions while the phone is plugged in, you can switch between Apple CarPlay and sync very easily. So yes, you can.
You've actually used the built in nav while using carplay? With android auto that's impossible. You can use other sync functions like climate or audio, but any attempt to use nav drops you back into android auto.

Formula Indy

First Name
Phillip
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Vehicle Showcase
Did you drive a FX4 equipped model? They do ride much more “truckish” than a standard 4x4 or 2wd. My opinion on the appearance.. you can always make it look better, can’t (really) change the power train. One of the main reasons I went with the Ranger, and the aesthetics really grew on me.

I agree 100%. I was on the fence between the Ranger and the Tacoma. Personally I liked the ride of the Off Road (hated limited) more than the FX4. I then drove a 4x4 and it was way better than both. I ended up ordering a 4x4 with a locker. Problem solved.

Rone28

First Name
Maurice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger 2019
I had a 2017 Colorado long bed duramax. Solid truck but it was just too long for getting tine parking garages etc. Plus the length made it very difficult to swing my rv around in my driveway.

So I looked at the Colorado with a short bed, the Gladiator, and the Ranger. I did not consider the Tacoma as I don't like the seats.

Colorado ok but didnnot want to pay the premium for the diesel again and the 3.6l lacked the torque.

Gladiator is just so darn expensive, the turn radius was same as colorado, not comfortable for long trips, and I already had my jeep phase.

Ranger had the tow capacity, all the high tech features, great turn radius, good mpg, good torque, nice leather, and it is just fun to drive.

I think the fun to drive experience and the tech toys pushed me over the edge. No regrets, love my Ranger. But Ford is stupid for not including the brake controller or connectors.

I am fixing this one of two flaws (brake controller) this weekend. That only leaves the small gas tank as the only issue I can't fix.

I got the hot pepper red Lariat and smile every time I get in and start it up.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I'll cut them a little slack because most that are writing the really eye-rolling stuff seem younger and have not quite hit the maturity curve yet. The OP just doesn't seem to understand that buying a vehicle comes down to more then just what YOUR specific opinion is. People are finicky creatures and have differing opinions. The Taco is the perfect vehicle for some people while the Ranger (or other trucks) are perfect for others.

To call someone dumb for not agreeing with your OPINION is not only juvenile, but shows a lack of sensibility towards other people. There's no arguing with people like that because they can't distinguish another person's thoughts and feelings from their point of view.

The majority of the people on that thread seem to be just fine, but like anyone... are a bit biased towards their trucks just like we would be.

For those reading this from the Tacoma forum, I'm in Connecticut and would love to meet up with you guys. More than happy to let you drive my Ranger and get your own opinions on it or just hang out.

LOL Don't do it. Once they drive the Ranger their heads will explode

Toytec

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT 302a S/cab 4X4 w/diff lock MG
Occupation
Automotive technician, Retired.
Vehicle Showcase
I drive Tacoma's regularly for my job. They're meh, ok. Then I get in the Ranger and get a big sense of comfort both sitting still and heading down the road. Huge difference. But watch out boys. The next gen Taco they'll probably knock it out of the park! Toyota spends millions on R&D.
Sponsored