Those coming from Taco / Colorado / Canyon - What are your thoughts on the Ranger so far?

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
I drive Tacoma's regularly for my job. They're meh, ok. Then I get in the Ranger and get a big sense of comfort both sitting still and heading down the road. Huge difference. But watch out boys. The next gen Taco they'll probably knock it out of the park! Toyota spends millions on R&D.
All car companies spend millions on R&D. I'd be amazed if toyota makes any dramatic changes, because their core market seems loyal enough that they'll buy anything and toyota has a history of not spending money on changes unless they really need to. So maybe the generation after the next one will be a big change, if 1) sales drop a lot and 2) they care a lot about being the sales leader in midsize trucks. I wouldn't be surprised if toyota let their sales drop and didn't change much anyway as long as they were still making a decent profit, rather than spend a ton of money trying to boost sales. At the end of the day, pickup sales just aren't as important to toyota as they are to ford (or GM).
Sponsored

Desert_5G

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Vehicle Showcase
What I would like to see changed. Is to get rid of the dual displays for the lariat. I never use the right one. If I wanted to see the nav or radio info; I would look at the center display. Plus the single speed gauge just looks silly by itself.

I would like to see a V6 as a option or standard. The turbo it great and all; but you just can't beat a non aspirated engine; and for reliability.

And better fit and finish quality issues resolved.

Gone Blue

First Name
Brett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT 4X4 Ingot Silver
I traded a 2017' V6 Colorado Z71 in on my Ranger XLT the end of last year. My Colorado had 76,000 miles in 2 years and 2 months. I drive a little bit now and then. I use my trucks. I tow boats, snowmobile trailers, haul landscaping materials, lumber, motorcycle parts, etc in the bed. I do not however do much if any off roading. I loved the Colorado and had very few complaints about it. To be honest, $9,500 in rebates and lowering my monthly payment put me in a Ranger. Here are my thoughts and differences about each truck as to what was important to me so far with only 800 miles on the Ranger.

Colorado +:
Ride and handling on road
Brake pedal feel
Auto 4wheel option
60/40 rear seat cushion and back
Fold flat rear seat back
Step in rear bumper and rail grab hold
Driver information screen options and controls
MPG
HVAC controls / simple
Towing performance

Colorado -:
Transmission shudder / stumble / For me it was like the transmission was in too high of gear at low speed?
No locking tail gate with remote
Limited safety features
Ground clearance
Front seats hard

Ranger +:
Engine performance
Transmission performance / There have been times it seems the truck is in too high of gear at low speed but so far it drives better than Colorado when it does this.
Steering feel
Safety features standard
Front seat comfort
Ground clearance
Power folding mirrors
Steering wheel controls
MPG
Locking tail gate with remote

Ranger -:
No Auto 4Wheel drive control
Brake pedal feel
1 pc rear seat cushion and back
Rear seat back does not fold flat
Only drivers window has express down
Bouncy ride / I need to play with tire air pressure to see if this helps?
No steps or grabs to get into bed

In many ways these two trucks are very similar. If I was truly cross shopping them based on their performance, options, etc, it would be hard to choose one over the other. So I look forward to enjoy my Ranger and appreciate it for what it is. G.B.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hell I thought this was a ranger forum not a TuRD forum. If I want some mushrooms I'll pick them out of the cow patties not off the dealers lot.
Let's not act like the homers on Tacoma World. We're better than that

Last edited:

hawk43

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
So far after 32k on a Canyon and 3 years time and two weeks and almost 900 miles on the Ranger...(I reserve the right to come back later and add or edit )

1. Looks Ranger (by a lot)
2. Handling Canyon (less dive when braking)
3. Ride Ranger (almost a tie)
4. Ride noise Ranger (More quiet)
5. Seats Ranger (much more comfortable)
6. Braking Canyon (ranger pedal is like pushing your foot though a bucket of mud)...Most horrible thing so far

(be back later)

shred5

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
I traded a 2017' V6 Colorado Z71 in on my Ranger XLT the end of last year. My Colorado had 76,000 miles in 2 years and 2 months. I drive a little bit now and then. I use my trucks. I tow boats, snowmobile trailers, haul landscaping materials, lumber, motorcycle parts, etc in the bed. I do not however do much if any off roading. I loved the Colorado and had very few complaints about it. To be honest, $9,500 in rebates and lowering my monthly payment put me in a Ranger. Here are my thoughts and differences about each truck as to what was important to me so far with only 800 miles on the Ranger.

Colorado +:
Ride and handling on road
Brake pedal feel
Auto 4wheel option
60/40 rear seat cushion and back
Fold flat rear seat back
Step in rear bumper and rail grab hold
Driver information screen options and controls
MPG
HVAC controls / simple
Towing performance

Colorado -:
Transmission shudder / stumble / For me it was like the transmission was in too high of gear at low speed?
No locking tail gate with remote
Limited safety features
Ground clearance
Front seats hard

Ranger +:
Engine performance
Transmission performance / There have been times it seems the truck is in too high of gear at low speed but so far it drives better than Colorado when it does this.
Steering feel
Safety features standard
Front seat comfort
Ground clearance
Power folding mirrors
Steering wheel controls
MPG
Locking tail gate with remote

Ranger -:
No Auto 4Wheel drive control
Brake pedal feel
1 pc rear seat cushion and back
Rear seat back does not fold flat
Only drivers window has express down
Bouncy ride / I need to play with tire air pressure to see if this helps?
No steps or grabs to get into bed

In many ways these two trucks are very similar. If I was truly cross shopping them based on their performance, options, etc, it would be hard to choose one over the other. So I look forward to enjoy my Ranger and appreciate it for what it is. G.B.

Same moved from a 2017 Colorado to a Ranger.

Instead of typing a new list I will use your since I pretty much have the exact same list. Only thing is I did not have the transmission shudder on the Colorado, I did have some hard shifting.

I traded because I needed a crew cab since the grand children have got bigger and need a bigger back seat. I had long bed with extended cab.

Why did I choose the Ranger this time? I am a truck person and wanted to try something different and liked the ride on the Ranger. I also wanted something a little longer term this time and Chevy out of warranty has always cost me.

I loved my Colorado and it was a hard move.

To me the biggest difference between the two is if your are coming from a truck you will probably like the Colorado more and if coming from a car or SUV you may like the Ranger better. The Rangers ride is more like our Escape was and the Colorado has more of a truck ride to me.

The Ranger has one of the best transmissions I have ever felt, it is so smooth. It is also one of the most comfortable vehicles I have ever been in.

I like the engine on the Colorado far more though. Man if they mated the Ranger transmission with a V6 like the Colorado you would have the ultimate combo and nothing could touch it in the midsized market. Colorado sounds allot better too with the V6.

Ranger has the worst brakes I have ever felt. It always feels like there is air in the lines and seems a little dangerous.

The Rangers controls are hard to see and use. Colorado has nice big knobs.

No AWD is a biggie for me because of the variable roads around here.

I prefer the My Colorado app VS Ford pass... Not even a comparison here. Ford needs to work on this seriously.

The Ranger is a little bouncy and floaty and could use just a little stiffer suspension. Not as bad as some make it out to be. Highway driving is the best on the Ranger out of the Colorado and the Taco.

The thing is the Colorado did nothing bad, everything was pretty good on it but it did not excel at anything either.

The Ranger excels at some stuff and other thing are just flat out bad and feel like the trucks was rushed and they cut corners on a few things.

I do not know which one I like better yet.. Maybe about the same..

Edit: One thing missing form the list that is a + for the Ranger is the 120 volt outlet in the back.

Last edited:

John Lyman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Sport 4x2 Oxford White
Vehicle Showcase
Same moved from a 2017 Colorado to a Ranger.

Ranger has the worst brakes I have ever felt. It always feels like there is air in the lines and seems a little dangerous.
You should have come from a Jeep Wrangler - makes these things feel like best brakes ever. Now when I drive my wife's Atlas I may or may not throw her into the windshield :)

Mokume

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2000 Ranger Supercab (sold 12/19) , 2002 Honda CR-V
Occupation
Retired Firefighter III, Honolulu Fire Department
Let's not act like the homers on Tacoma world. We're better than that
You should have come from a Jeep Wrangler - makes these things feel like best brakes ever. Now when I drive my wife's Atlas I may or may not throw her into the windshield :)
Ha! reminds me of my Uncles '65 Coupe DeVille, rest your toe on the brake pedal and your head would meet the windshield!

Torrsall

First Name
T
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat 4WD
I see lots of previous Taco owners that have come over to the Ranger in this thread: What car/truck are you replacing with the new Ranger?

What are your thoughts so far? What are the biggest differences (good or bad) that you've experienced so far with the Ranger vs your last truck?
I had my 2001 Taco for 21 years and it was reliable as hell! It was also slow, noisy, inefficient and top heavy. The other concern was that year after year, Toyota was content to keep the stodgy old thing basically unchanged. Those attributes and the bathtub seating position had me looking at other options.
The 21 Ranger I'm in is great! It's miles more refined and, opposing popular opinion, feels both modern and comfortable. If there's a problem, it's that I'm still getting used to the power train. That lovely 2.3 is sweet, especially as it travels through the 10 speeds on sport mode but at times it feels a little jumpy, particularly after a bit of turbo lag under heavy acceleration. Having been raised around horses, the ranger reminds me a little of a young colt. Excited to run with lots of energy, his rider is still learning which way to go with this frisky critter. Enjoying the learn!
Sponsored