Those coming from Taco / Colorado / Canyon - What are your thoughts on the Ranger so far?

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat - 2020 Honda Ridgeline RTL-E
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Toyota's entune in general is pretty horrible. The lack of android auto just means it's that much harder to get away from the lousy apps it comes with. What makes it a real PITA is that you know you're actually paying for that stuff and that it's hard to replace the highly-integrated electronics--better to just have an old-school dumb console that could be upgraded third-party for less money and better functionality.
Not only that but the "revised" Entune will be new and bound to have initial software issues.
SYNC 3™ is the best system I ever used.
Sponsored

t4thfavor

First Name
Chance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Fox 2.0, 2011 Ford Edge Sport
Not only that but the "revised" Entune will be new and bound to have initial software issues.
SYNC 3™ is the best system I ever used.
Agreed, I'm so glad I didn't let my Sync 2 experience be the last straw.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Check it out. They took it down. lol
Tacoma owners are a tad too self-important.....I know..I had four of them...LOL They bitch and moan regarding the weak engine and 6-speed trans. Then they try their best to defend the indefensible. A Single tune thread over there has 54,000 Responses,,,,, They have to buy a $700 tune just to make the truck a tad better.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/threads...lopment-thread.495735/page-2664#post-21949386

Ranger is released with specs that destroy Tacoma and all they do is bash the vehicle with the better drive train, towing, loads and even the deeper bed which bodes well for the longer tailgate.

The 2016 Tacoma was fraught with issues. I sold mine within a year of buying it. Seems the same issues are not being addressed three years later.

Last edited:

Ron_W

First Name
Ron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Escape titanium, 2013 c-max
Just saw this video about the 2020 Taco power seat. 5' 6" and he is hitting the roof with his head.

VAMike

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat SuperCab
The Tacoma always had a headroom problem (made worse by the fondness for moonroofs) so I don't know why anyone would think that you could raise the seat without making things worse. They need to either lower the floor or raise the roof or both. (Or just leave it for people who like it the way it is and let people buy another truck because you'll never make everyone happy.)

rangerdanger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger SuperCrew XLT FX4
Vehicle Showcase
Just saw this video about the 2020 Taco power seat. 5' 6" and he is hitting the roof with his head.

Hilarious a below average guy can't fit.

Spongebob.jpg

RedlandRanger

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4, 1973 Mercury Capri
Vehicle Showcase
Hilarious a below average guy can't fit.

Spongebob.jpg
I was surprised how MUCH he had to drop his head to get in. I can't imagine a 6' guy getting in.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have had 4 Tacomas, the most recent being a 2016. The Tacoma does not have the balls of the Ranger. The Ranger rides a tad "bouncy" but I like that. Tacoma's "tech" is horrible. The 2016 was fraught with stupid issues that Toyota claimed "Thay all do that" That's about the time I dumped it. I also had a couple of Rangers back in the day, No issues,

I am confident the Ranger will be all that and more. Tacoma owners bask in "resale" which is only good if you don't like the truck and want to get rid of it...LOL.. I didn't get burned much on the sale.

ALL pickups have great resale way down the line. A pick up always has value. I see 2011 Rangers at $10K+ That's good resale as well. I know this truck will battle Toyota and I suspect the Ranger will have better resale than Colorado. But that doesn't matter when you get a truck that is nearly perfect........There is no resale!!!

Last edited:

Snorebaby

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 SuperCrew, 1996 Ranger XLT Supercab, 2013 XLT F150 (Wife's), 1990 Honda Goldwing, 2015 Honda Goldwing
Vehicle Showcase
I have had 4 Tacomas, the most recent being a 2016. The Tacoma does not have the balls of the Ranger. The Ranger rides a tad "bouncy" but I like that. Tacoma's "tech" is horrible. The 2016 was fraught with stupid issues that Toyota claimed "Thay all do that" That's about the time I dumped it. I also had a couple of Rangers back in the day, No issues,

I am confident the Ranger will be all that and more. Tacoma owners bask in "resale" which is only good if you don't like the truck and want to get rid of it...LOL.. I didn't get burned much on the sale.

ALL pickups have great resale way down the line. A pick up always has value. I see 2011 Rangers at $10K+ That's good resale as well. I know this truck will battle Toyota and I suspect the Ranger will have better resale than Colorado. But that doesn't matter when you get a truck that is nearly perfect........There is no resale!!!
So true.....I still own and won't trade my '96 Ranger

pannwfn

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2005 fx4 level II
Hell I thought this was a ranger forum not a TuRD forum. If I want some mushrooms I'll pick them out of the cow patties not off the dealers lot.

SubVet

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Hell I thought this was a ranger forum not a TuRD forum. If I want some mushrooms I'll pick them out of the cow patties not off the dealers lot.
Be nice. Don't act like the Tacoma fanboys........Tacoma is a great truck....just behind the times a tad or more.

treimche

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger SOLD. 2005 S2000
Occupation
Accountant
Im a current owner of a 2017 TRD Pro Tacoma and have recently started looking more at the Rangers. Do any of the people who have made the switch have some real world driving opinions to share? I have the OVTune on my Tacoma and it still doesn't drive great, transmission shifting is meh, engine bogging down constantly, etc. I'd really like to drive a Ranger to see how it feels with the 10 speed transmission. I guess one good thing about my Tacoma might be the resale value if I sell/trade ;) BTW, the Tacoma World forum is full of arrogant kids, and its easily the worst forum I've ever been a part of.
Sponsored