First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XL
Occupation
Coder
I posted mine a month or two ago, but I thought I would share this shot from our last camping trip in western Michigan. Couldn't be happier with our truck's performance towing a solid body travel trailer. The trailer is 23' exterior (19' interior) and weighs 3900 lbs dry. A joy to pull as long as we stayed off the interstate :)

2021-08-23.jpg

amdu224

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Website
web.vinwiki.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Data Engineer
Sorry to question your numbers. I assume they are based on axle ratings. From the looks of them you are running a lot of tongue weight. That is a value you did not include. But is also a critical number. From these numbers I also assume you are not running a WDH. That would take some of the weight off the rear axle ang get it back on the front steering axle. I realize the trailer is not loaded fully in the picture but it looks to be nose high. Not good for sway control and definately not good on a tandem axle trailer. It unbalances the load on the trailer axles.

Don't mean to criticize your setup just pointing out some observations.
No offense taken, you are not wrong, there is definitely work left to do. Yes the numbers are based on the axle ratings and CGVWR. The picture was taken on a dry run of sorts, basically to the weigh station and back. The terrain to and from was diverse enough to get a feel for how grades and wind would handle. Once the horse was in, the nose definitely leveled but still needed an extra inch or so.

Once we had the scale ticket (essentially confirming this whole thing is even doable with the Ranger) we then made the decision to get a 6 inch drop weigh safe, I measured and would have technically the hitch sits high enough for 6 inch drop but will find out soon enough. Once it comes in will update with the tongue numbers as adjustments are made.

Going to try the drop first and if we are still running right at the limit after adjustments, will look to add the Weight Distribution component on as well.

Last edited:

amdu224

First Name
Alexander
Threads
Reaction score
Website
web.vinwiki.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
Data Engineer
This brought you to nearly max? That seems like it would be SO much lighter than 7000+ pounds. How much does the trailer and horse weigh?
Correct, the horse and trailer are much, much lighter than 7000 pounds, horse+trailer are about 3500-4000 ish total. I am not 1000% sure because I did not weigh either the truck or loaded trailer on its own. Line haul (semi) drivers don't necessarily appreciate a scale hog, and scale tickets are $12.50 a pop so they do add up.

With horse trailers it is all about where the axels are. You'll notice that a lot of the pictures of trailers on this thread should the trailer axle or axles are towards the middle of the trailer or 2/3 the way down the trailer. This allows for the weight distribution to be manipulated more easily by giving you the ability to place the items on the trailer in different areas. Horse trailers are traditionally designed with the axles as far to the back as possible in order to provide as much stability for the horse inside. This decreases my ability to shift things around on the trailer to relieve weight off my rear truck axle. However, like Big Blue said, a weight distribution hitch would make it possible to push the weight forward to the front axle of the truck than just a hitch alone.

So will be getting the Weigh Safe so I can factor the tongue weight in. I am planning on scaling again once I have a better idea one the setup adjustments to see if any improvements have been made.

JimRn

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Registered Nurse
Apex Nano 191RBS. 4250 lbs packed weight. bought in May but after 4 trips, including towing up to Lake Arrowhead @6200ft elevation). Lots of twists and turns. Some winds. The truck constantly amazes me in regards to power and stability while towing. Like everyone else, it gets about 13 MPG towing.

Ranger Towing.jpg

Rviator

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
A 2019 Ford Ranger of course, and a 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
Occupation
retired aerospace engineer
Vehicle Showcase
Careful there--the WDH isn't magic, and adds weight itself.
And what most people don't realize, a WDH adds weight to the trailer axles.

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
01B1C1EC-EF76-4D71-B4DF-90D2D10CAA43.jpeg

75 was smooth. The guy at the uhaul place was telling me that 55 was fine, but even at 60 I would lose control :rolleyes:

Cabose-1

First Name
Eli
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger XLT FX2
Occupation
Student
01B1C1EC-EF76-4D71-B4DF-90D2D10CAA43.jpeg

75 was smooth. The guy at the uhaul place was telling me that 55 was fine, but even at 60 I would lose control :rolleyes:
You can tow 7000lbs like that all day long every day. Easy tows. But.......7000lbs in a 25 foot long sail box....different story. Its science stuff but different characteristics. Same principles, just different characteristics

20210608_080604.jpg

awd.nv

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger XLT Tremor
Occupation
Computers
Figured I would share a pick from the Watchman campground in Zion about two weeks ago. Vegas to Zion. Tows great, I just still cant help but want a radiator upgrade. That or I need to just do hills at 55mph....which is hard when the Ranger has no issues maintaining 65-70mph up some long hills.

I just dont like seeing the engine temps get close to 230F. Once it breaks 220F I worry about long term issues. The cluster gauge never moves past middle but I see temps on my scan gauge ii.

Otherwise, love this thing for towing the Geo Pro 19BH. Was also my first time seeing another Tremor on the road. A white Lariat Tremor in the Springdale city outside Zion. White and Red are the two other colors I would have liked to have. Sometimes regret black in the desert but she looks good in black.

PXL_20210820_214140928.jpg

maxbottomtime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT SCAB 4x4
You can tow 7000lbs like that all day long every day. Easy tows. But.......7000lbs in a 25 foot long sail box....different story. Its science stuff but different characteristics. Same principles, just different characteristics

20210608_080604.jpg
No doubt. The Porsche was pretty low and aerodynamic so that doesn't hurt.

Gil-galad

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
RP-179.jpg

2018 R-Pod RP-179, 3600 lb wet and fully loaded. Using a 600/6000 Curt WDH with friction anti-sway bar. On the Lariat, OEM-installed TBC along with Eibach Sport Rear Shocks, Hellwig rear sway bar, and I inflate tires to 35 psi front, 37 psi rear (door sticker recommends 30). Power to spare; however, it's the most windage on a single-axle trailer I'd ever want to attempt with this truck.

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
We just finished a 5000lb tow from Vancouver to Alberta. I must say we were very impressed what this little truck can do. A couple of very steep climbs about 2 km long and we just cruised on up 6 th gear no problems.
I love the automatic down shift going down hills as well. Barely had to use any brakes.
I will say though from all this towing to Alberta I did notice a slight odour of fuel in the oil. Changing the oil will be the first thing I do when we get home.

Danny Ramirez

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger STX FX4
We moved Ourselves this weekend using the 6x12 uhaul, their biggest box trailer. Trailer weighs 1900lbs empty and we loaded probably ~1000 pounds each trip. Made 2 trips totaling about 400 miles total. Truck did awesome in tow-hall mode. Has plenty of power but does get knocked around a little with the load, something I noticed in the past when pulling a 2 axle trailer. I realize the rear end of our trucks are light!

my truck is leveled with fox 2.0s, so the rear sag looks a little extra. It was not touching the bump stops.

759E3C1A-D094-475A-A0D3-2C21926D549C.jpeg
Sponsored