First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I'm thinking of running the 87-89 in the winter since my mileage drops an running the 91-93 in the spring through fall
Sponsored

royalnewjersey

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Marketing
Just a bit of personal experience here.

I went to install the Soft Shift Performance Tune 91-93 - and I kept getting an error part way through the install. Warning lights were flashing on the dash. And the tuner kept saying "must recover ECU" and it would try to re-write all 95 blocks for the stock tune. Very scary! Then I called Livernois and talked to Anthony. He was amazing. Spent about 15 minutes walking me through everything and putting my mind at ease. Turns out that having a battery tender (or any other powered device drawing on the battery) caused the issue. So just make sure you don't have anything giving or drawing power off the battery or else the ECU will not be able to program correctly.

Once I got it all programmed I was off. I'm about 40 miles in now, and I will say that after about 20 miles the jerkiness started to subside. It will probably continue to learn for many more miles, and I'll refrain from switching the tune too often, but at least the initial harshness has diminished quite a bit already.

I will say that the "soft shift" tune did not blow me away from the start. I felt that it was more like stock+ if anything. But that's because I was kind of babying that truck while the transmission was learning. After about 20 or 30 miles I really started to push the truck, especially when passing and getting onto the highway. WOW. I can now say that the tune very much changed the driving dynamics of the truck. No more hesitation when flooring. No more hesitation when trying to pass. No more hunting for gears when down/up shifting. And the whole drive feels a lot more linear and predictable. It's not a racecar or anything, but it does feel like it's pulling harder, and shifts are precise. From a stop the truck feels relatively like stock (which is nice). But when you smash the gas you can really feel the power and the improved power band. It's really nice because I can go easy on the gas when I'm around town in stop/go traffic. But once I'm up and running at speed and into boost the truck feels a lot more powerful and nimble.

OxyGenIII

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Focus ST maybe Ranger in a couple days.
Anyone with this tune on 285-70-17's? Curious what dyno results would be on the 33" tires too. If it drops significantly.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Anyone with this tune on 285-70-17's? Curious what dyno results would be on the 33" tires too. If it drops significantly.
I run on 32's and I can say that the power you get on both performance and tow tune is nice compared to the stock programs. Also tires weight takes into account for power loss. Just something to keep in mind.

austinb324

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
Im reading you guys talking about hard/soft shift tunes. My tuner only shows me a 91-93 perf tune, a lower octane perf tune, and a tow tune. Are there other tunes offered by livernois that are available by request only?

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Im reading you guys talking about hard/soft shift tunes. My tuner only shows me a 91-93 perf tune, a lower octane perf tune, and a tow tune. Are there other tunes offered by livernois that are available by request only?
They have 5 tunes total for the Ranger, there is also a 87-89/91-93 soft shift tune. You can call them and have them send that to you.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
i didn't get shift options either so i assume i got reg/firm shift an its fine for me

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Just a bit of personal experience here.

I went to install the Soft Shift Performance Tune 91-93 - and I kept getting an error part way through the install. Warning lights were flashing on the dash. And the tuner kept saying "must recover ECU" and it would try to re-write all 95 blocks for the stock tune. Very scary! Then I called Livernois and talked to Anthony. He was amazing. Spent about 15 minutes walking me through everything and putting my mind at ease. Turns out that having a battery tender (or any other powered device drawing on the battery) caused the issue. So just make sure you don't have anything giving or drawing power off the battery or else the ECU will not be able to program correctly.

Once I got it all programmed I was off. I'm about 40 miles in now, and I will say that after about 20 miles the jerkiness started to subside. It will probably continue to learn for many more miles, and I'll refrain from switching the tune too often, but at least the initial harshness has diminished quite a bit already.

I will say that the "soft shift" tune did not blow me away from the start. I felt that it was more like stock+ if anything. But that's because I was kind of babying that truck while the transmission was learning. After about 20 or 30 miles I really started to push the truck, especially when passing and getting onto the highway. WOW. I can now say that the tune very much changed the driving dynamics of the truck. No more hesitation when flooring. No more hesitation when trying to pass. No more hunting for gears when down/up shifting. And the whole drive feels a lot more linear and predictable. It's not a racecar or anything, but it does feel like it's pulling harder, and shifts are precise. From a stop the truck feels relatively like stock (which is nice). But when you smash the gas you can really feel the power and the improved power band. It's really nice because I can go easy on the gas when I'm around town in stop/go traffic. But once I'm up and running at speed and into boost the truck feels a lot more powerful and nimble.
Brother....I had the scare of my life the other morning. I had my truck in for service the previous day for the first time since loading my Livernois software and was going to flash back to the performance tune before driving to work....
I did not realize I still had my Fire 7 tablet I use for my Torque Pro gauge set up plugged into a 12v outlet. The programmer errored on the 1st block of the tune and wanted to reload the stock tune. So I waited through the 95 blocks...and then it's starts throwing the error messages at me. I'm completely freaking out at this point. Took a deep breath Looked around, found the device plugged in. uplugged...reflashed to stock tune...Viola!
Loaded the performance tune no problem....Moral of the story? Make extra sure everything is correct before flashing your ECU ;)

royalnewjersey

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT
Occupation
Marketing
This was great to read, sealed the deal for me convincing myself to buy. Have you seen MPG improvements in addition work everyday driving?
That's great to hear. I just wanted to pass on some more recent personal experience, since other people posting in the previous 52 pages is what convinced me to buy as well :) Glad it was helpful.

As far as MPG goes - I haven't been through a full tank yet. Working from home 24/7 during COVID has really decreased my commute mileage. I imagine my first tank will be worse MPG too - since I've been kind of flooring it and testing the limits and power band. I'll update the thread again on my next tank,.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
This was great to read, sealed the deal for me convincing myself to buy. Have you seen MPG improvements in addition work everyday driving?
It is definitely possible to see MPG gains with the Livernois tunes!! How much you ask? 1-2 at most for average but as most will say it all depends on you conditions and you foot if it doesn't turn into lead(I know, it is hard not to happen). With the tow tune I did manage a nice average of just over 27 MPG in the rockies. That included going up and down hills with wind at my back and with a head wind so there were plenty of variables.

Hope this helps

TJMarchand

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT / 1984 Monte Carlo SS
As far as MPG goes - I haven't been through a full tank yet. Working from home 24/7 during COVID has really decreased my commute mileage. I imagine my first tank will be worse MPG too - since I've been kind of flooring it and testing the limits and power band. I'll update the thread again on my next tank,.
Understandable! That's The most logical way to test of course. I am jealous, my job isn't something I can do from home ?Haha.
It is definitely possible to see MPG gains with the Livernois tunes!! How much you ask? 1-2 at most for average but as most will say it all depends on you conditions and you foot if it doesn't turn into lead(I know, it is hard not to happen). With the tow tune I did manage a nice average of just over 27 MPG in the rockies. That included going up and down hills with wind at my back and with a head wind so there were plenty of variables.

Hope this helps
It does, thank you! I will enjoy a little more pickup but try to drive somewhat conservatively during my commute everyday.

I made it an entire year stock, however I'm excited for some simple mods. Thanks to both of you.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Kroger fuel points make it more palatable to buy high octane...
Having a Sam's Club or Costco membership helps too. I find I save more at the Clubs than with my Fry's (Kroger) points. Gas was cheap here but has gone up through the years.

Fawnbuster

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired 34 years as LEO
Vehicle Showcase
Having a Sam's Club or Costco membership helps too. I find I save more at the Clubs than with my Fry's (Kroger) points. Gas was cheap here but has gone up through the years.
I was a Costco member for a while, problem with them is they wouldn't advertise the prices from the road, had to pull up to the pump to see it. I was told they would always be 10 to 12 cents a gallon cheaper, the management never bothered to look and Kroger has 30 seconds away was always the same price as Costco before Kroger fuel points, so it wasn't worth the membership price to costco...have a Sams nearby but no fuel island. Get 50 fuel points for each survey you do in a 7 day period, plus 3-4 times the points for buying gift cards. Before they regulated it more I could get a dollar off per gallon once in a while, now the max is .50 cents and 35 gallons so the wife and I both fuel up at the same time and pump. She is on one side of the pump facing one way and I'm the opposite and I fill hers then mine.
Sponsored