Dr. Zaius

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4
Warning; Potentially dumb question ahead:
If one purchases a tune such as the Unleashed, and installs it, can it be removed and resold to a third party at trade-in time? Asking for a friend.
The tune can be removed but the tuner is tied to your VIN.

If you sell the tuner the buyer will have to pay a fee to unlock it and tie it to their VIN.

With Livernois the fee is $300. Not sure about Unleashed. The unlock fee kills the resale value of the tuner as it's almost as much as buying a new tuner that comes with a warranty.

Note that every time you load a tune it increments your flash counter and/or decreases your ignition counter. IOW Ford will know that your vehicle was tuned in case of warranty questions.
Sponsored

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
The tune can be removed but the tuner is tied to your VIN.

If you sell the tuner the buyer will have to pay a fee to unlock it and tie it to their VIN.

With Livernois the fee is $300. Not sure about Unleashed. The unlock fee kills the resale value of the tuner as it's almost as much as buying a new tuner that comes with a warranty.

Note that every time you load a tune it increments your flash counter and/or decreases your ignition counter. IOW Ford will know that your vehicle was tuned in case of warranty questions.
Not sure about Livernois but SCT tuners become unmarried when the vehicle is returned to stock making it useable on other vehicles. SCT allows you to do this 5 times before you have to pay a fee to have it reset.

I have a SCT X4 tuner I purchased in 2013 for my Focus ST. When I traded the Focus I returned it to stock and used it on my 15 Mustang, tried it on my 17 Mustang before going FP and I am now using it on my 21 Ranger. I have tried the canned tunes that come with the device, tunes from Steeda and tunes from Unleashed.

DiabloSport and Cobb tuners work the same way.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
You've never been able to upshift in Drive. Drive only allows you to lock out gears from highest to lowest. Only in Sport can you truly manually shift. Sounds like you're getting actual factory behavior in that regard unless I'm misunderstanding your experience.
I can shift manually in drive. Even in stock and not even with tow mode engaged. My tune has been fixed long ago.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
Just curious, what are you having Torrie get more refined for you? Just curios if I am feeling what you are having him work on.
Long ago I had him add the transmission 'smooth shift' update. Every time I change anything mechanically I run a new base and send it to him.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Ok thanks guys, that makes sense.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc