5-Star vs Livernois Motorsports vs Unleashed Tuning

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I keep the SCT and cable in the truck. I can read codes if needed and clear them, or restore to stock if necessary i.e. if I'm going to tow I'll revert to the stock Ford tune. I don't tow often enough to invest in an additional tune.

My goals were to get the truck more refined in day to day driving and I'm closing in on that.
Just curious, what are you having Torrie get more refined for you? Just curios if I am feeling what you are having him work on.
Sponsored

Reactions: Doc

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I'm experiencing an issue where the truck won't shift all the way up to 10th gear on the highway above 70 MPH for several minutes/miles and I can't manually shift it that high unless I drop the transmission selector to Sport then throw it back to Drive.

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I'm experiencing an issue where the truck won't shift all the way up to 10th gear on the highway above 70 MPH for several minutes/miles and I can't manually shift it that high unless I drop the transmission selector to Sport then throw it back to Drive.
John, Is it up to operating temperature ?

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
John, Is it up to operating temperature ?
I would anticipate yes. A minute warmup in the driveway, a little more than three miles to the turnpike and a little more than seven mile's to the exit. Only in the last mile did it go into 10th on it's own. It's 'cool' down here - but I'm in Southern Florida.

Torrie says he did not change the shift schedules on my file, maybe this has something to do with my bolt ons? I'm sure we'll all be the wiser and happier once he digs in. At 70+ MPH it's more than a few 100 RPM's and will impact MPG's. If I recall, tow mode locks out 10th.

Last edited:

Cape Cruiser

First Name
Bret
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
31 Ford-20 Ranger Lariat FX4- 19 Ranger Lariat 4x2
Occupation
retired mechanic
I would anticipate yes. A minute warmup in the driveway, a little more than three miles to the turnpike and a little more than seven mile's to the exit. Only in the last mile did it go into 10th on it's own. It's 'cool' down here - but I'm in Southern Florida.
Mine takes about 3 miles before it shifts above 8th gear when cold. I guess you have a different issue. Good luck ,im sure someone will chime in. Bret

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Yes ,that was in the original program to keep from bogging at lower speeds but he can adjust that, my 10th gear comes on at just below 70 ...
Regards
Doc

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Yes ,that was in the original program to keep from bogging at lower speeds but he can adjust that, my 10th gear comes on at just below 70 ...
Regards
Doc
On the way home after flashing it stock it went all the way to tenth as soon as I got on the turnpike. I wasn't prevented from shifting manually into 10th. That was within 10 minutes and 6 miles.

Tomorrow morning I'll see if it persists.

Torrie and I are communicating via email.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
Regards
Doc
I'd rather it be governed by RPM and vacuum/throttle position.

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales
I’m tuned by Torrie as well and my truck won’t go above 8th until I’m on the highway going at least 65. Or 60-ish and turn on cruise control.

I don’t mind though. I’d rather have the engine rev-ing than bogging.

Last edited:

the5Gmartian

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat FX4
Occupation
U.S. Navy
I would say the Ford tune because you still get a warranty with it. It won't have the most hp/tq but enough to make a difference over stock. It is more expensive and you have to have the dealer (I think) instal it.

Now the others like Livernois and Unleashed have way more power, are less expensive and you can instal them yourself but if something happens to your truck you're on your own as far as warranty goes.
Do you happen to know if Livernois makes the FPP tune? I've seen some threads where people have thought this is the case, but I have not seen anything definitive. I'm very tempted to get a tune and I really like how the Livernois tune puts focus on down low torque, but I am a little hesitant about reliability of a tune (thus my original question) and I like the warranty on the FPP tune. Thanks for your help!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Do you happen to know if Livernois makes the FPP tune? I've seen some threads where people have thought this is the case, but I have not seen anything definitive. I'm very tempted to get a tune and I really like how the Livernois tune puts focus on down low torque, but I am a little hesitant about reliability of a tune (thus my original question) and I like the warranty on the FPP tune. Thanks for your help!
Jesse I'm not sure either? I've heard that they do and then I heard some others say that it's not true. I'd say if you're really concerned about the warranty to get the FP tune. Personally I think Livernois has this one dialed in really good and have yet to hear someone that's had any problems with theirs or worse yet blown a motor. There are a few on here that have had Livernois tunes before and speak very highly of them, that was one reason I went with them and glad I did. Sorry I couldn't be of better help.

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Transient
My current tune from Torrie is the best so far. One version during revisions threw a P016B code I expect was the sensors freaking out on my Mishimoto charge pipes. Not sure the GFB DV+ contributed and seriously doubt the intake mods ahead of the airbox would have changed much.

The power is substantial without harsh lunges and what's best is how I can distinctly control the experience through the gas pedal. Smooth and assertive with comfortable shifts all the way up to 10th immediately or traffic dominating aggressive power when 'demanded.'

Torrie claims he didn't change the shift schedule so it sounds like this is simply engine tune.

However I still don't have the stock tune's ability to manually upshift in Drive (trailer switch on or off) although he claims he didn't remove that; the shifter switch only seems to toggle the automatic transmission taking over again. I'm able to downshift and the tune delays that - no upshifting at all though until I go into Sport or neutral. Must be something buried in the Ford code; I can only do the manual shifts in Sport now, and the truck is really quick.

I may just leave it as it is since the driving experience is that good.

EDIT TO ADD: MPG's have returned to about 19.7 avg tentatively and that's on winter blend!

SUPER SECRET EDIT: the not manually upshifting in Drive is bugging me now especially if I am downshifting in tow mode or with a load, something is buried in the Ford code that locks it out if some parameters are changed (might be unique to my configuration) and I'm communicating with Torrie some more.

BONUS EXTRA EDIT: Torrie is sending my stock file to SCT to decipher the loss of manual shifts in Drive with the tune.

Anyone else have my experience?

Last edited:

Tremor213

First Name
Edward
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Ranger
I've just purchased from Unleashed based on the drivability testimonials. I don't need the loudest, most gas-guzzling tune, but... I'm looking forward to a little more Fun Pedal Joy.
Exactly bro. I'm on the fence about mine. I don't need to hit peak levels. All I need is better shifting, gas mileage and a little more low end torque on the gas pedal. I don't even have a complaint about the rangers hp. Smoother shifting is pinnacle to me.

GitRDone

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT
Occupation
Real estate management
Warning; Potentially dumb question ahead:
If one purchases a tune such as the Unleashed, and installs it, can it be removed and resold to a third party at trade-in time? Asking for a friend.

CO2Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD / Former: 2021 Ranger Lariat FX4
My current tune from Torrie is the best so far. One version during revisions threw a P016B code I expect was the sensors freaking out on my Mishimoto charge pipes. Not sure the GFB DV+ contributed and seriously doubt the intake mods ahead of the airbox would have changed much.

The power is substantial without harsh lunges and what's best is how I can distinctly control the experience through the gas pedal. Smooth and assertive with comfortable shifts all the way up to 10th immediately or traffic dominating aggressive power when 'demanded.'

Torrie claims he didn't change the shift schedule so it sounds like this is simply engine tune.

However I still don't have the stock tune's ability to manually upshift in Drive (trailer switch on or off) although he claims he didn't remove that; the shifter switch only seems to toggle the automatic transmission taking over again. I'm able to downshift and the tune delays that - no upshifting at all though until I go into Sport or neutral. Must be something buried in the Ford code; I can only do the manual shifts in Sport now, and the truck is really quick.

I may just leave it as it is since the driving experience is that good.

EDIT TO ADD: MPG's have returned to about 19.7 avg tentatively and that's on winter blend!

SUPER SECRET EDIT: the not manually upshifting in Drive is bugging me now especially if I am downshifting in tow mode or with a load, something is buried in the Ford code that locks it out if some parameters are changed (might be unique to my configuration) and I'm communicating with Torrie some more.

BONUS EXTRA EDIT: Torrie is sending my stock file to SCT to decipher the loss of manual shifts in Drive with the tune.

Anyone else have my experience?
You've never been able to upshift in Drive. Drive only allows you to lock out gears from highest to lowest. Only in Sport can you truly manually shift. Sounds like you're getting actual factory behavior in that regard unless I'm misunderstanding your experience.
Sponsored