First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
Running the 91-93 performance tune and while still early in the flash, I love it! Great to have tire size and speedo calibrated too and sure won’t miss the start stop.

Is it an automatic warranty void if I don’t flash it back to stock when I take to a dealer for service? I guess I could ask them. Just don’t want to have to flash it back and have it need to relearn every time.
You should flash it back to the stock tune when brining it back in case the hook it up and check for Ford updates. Some say otherwise but that's what Anthony from Livernois suggested.

They can still detect you've had a tune with their software so there's no hiding it. If there were a problem that requires warrantee work they have to prove the tune cause the issue. So in other words if you melted a piston they'll dig into it but if it's something unrelated they can not should not deny your claim.
Sponsored

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
You should flash it back to the stock tune when brining it back in case the hook it up and check for Ford updates. Some say otherwise but that's what Anthony from Livernois suggested.

They can still detect you've had a tune with their software so there's no hiding it. If there were a problem that requires warrantee work they have to prove the tune cause the issue. So in other words if you melted a piston they'll dig into it but if it's something unrelated they can not should not deny your claim.
Even if you take it back to stock they still have a way to find out that you flashed it. Also unless there is a recall saying that the PCM needs to be updated there is nothing that can be done to say we need to update the PCM with a scan tool. The reason I say this is because Ford will not pay warranty if there is no bulletin saying to reprogram the PCM. Also the dealership would have to request approval from the customer in order to flash the PCM if it was customer pay.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
They can still detect you've had a tune with their software so there's no hiding it.

Even if you take it back to stock they still have a way to find out that you flashed it. Also unless there is a recall saying that the PCM needs to be updated there is nothing that can be done to say we need to update the PCM with a scan tool. The reason I say this is because Ford will not pay warranty if there is no bulletin saying to reprogram the PCM. Also the dealership would have to request approval from the customer in order to flash the PCM if it was customer pay.
That's what I said? For the 2-3 minutes it takes to flash it back to stock why not do it? I know you say it takes 2000 + miles to "re-learn" but I've never encountered that. Maybe a couple tanks at most but I have no scientific proof just seat of the pants feel.

I'd rather be safe and do what's recommended from Anthony I trust him more than a dealer. I know you work for Ford (I think) and maybe your dealer is different but I don't trust any of the ones around here. Even though I've had a somewhat good experience it doesn't mean they're always going to do the right thing.

jss81258

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger Lariat 4x4, 2004 Chevrolet Corvette Z06
Occupation
Fixed equipment inspector
That's what I said? For the 2-3 minutes it takes to flash it back to stock why not do it? I know you say it takes 2000 + miles to "re-learn" but I've never encountered that. Maybe a couple tanks at most but I have no scientific proof just seat of the pants feel.

I'd rather be safe and do what's recommended from Anthony I trust him more than a dealer. I know you work for Ford (I think) and maybe your dealer is different but I don't trust any of the ones around here. Even though I've had a somewhat good experience it doesn't mean they're always going to do the right thing.
I have never experienced the learn mode rough transmission shifting. Ever. Shifting didn't change after I bought the truck to when I installed the tow tune. I ran the tow tune for ~3000 miles and it never changed. Not saying it doesn't happen, just not with my truck.

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
I have never experienced the learn mode rough transmission shifting. Ever. Shifting didn't change after I bought the truck to when I installed the tow tune. I ran the tow tune for ~3000 miles and it never changed. Not saying it doesn't happen, just not with my truck.
With the 91-93 performance tune it shifted a little harsher at first and mostly gears 1-3. Not bad but noticeable enough from the stock tune. After about 1-2 tanks it was basically gone. I only ran the tow tune for one tank and didn't really notice it at all when running that one. I just prefer the 91-93 performance tune.

Stevo56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT, 2016 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Occupation
Retired
I'm running the 91-93 soft shift tune and never noticed the harsh shifting. I believe Livernois recommends flashing back before going to the dealer then checking the software codes/version before reflashing your tune. If they have changed, then you need to request new tunes.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase

So I've been doing some testing with a couple of the Livernois tunes this week/weekend. I flashed to the hottest tune on Wednesday evening and didn't hit it real hard until Friday night down on the local strip. Then I drove 3 hours (200 miles) up into Wyoming this afternoon/evening (just got home) to take the granddaughter home. I kept the performance tune installed on the way up and flashed to the tow tune for the ride home.

So here is my two cents....and that's about all it's worth....lol. I see why Frenchy likes the tow tune. I believe I will keep the tow tune installed during the week for commuting on the interstate. Don't get me wrong....I absolutely LOVE the hot tune and will definitely flash to that on the weekends. It is very fun to drive with that tune running around town. VERY quick! So it is the tune for the low end to mid power band and the tow tune is definitely the tune for the mid to top end band. The only issue is top end. I could not get above 110 mph with the tow tune (will talk to Anthony about that). I have not tried the top end on the performance tune.
As far as the shift goes. I don't feel that the performance tune with performance shift, shifts that hard....lol. I like the way it shifts and I hope it stays that way.
The way my truck comes out of the hole when you romp it and through the first 3 gears is extraordinary! The way the rear end kind of bumps sharply to the side but stays nice in space is wild!
With the tow tune....it felt like it just wanted to eat up the pavement at 80-100 mph driving down the interstate! The tow tune seems to hit fairly well on the low end too.
So I love both of them for their respective differences with the very short time I have touched them.....always IMHO :clap:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
So I've been doing some testing with a couple of the Livernois tunes this week/weekend. I flashed to the hottest tune on Wednesday evening and didn't hit it real hard until Friday night down on the local strip. Then I drove 3 hours (200 miles) up into Wyoming this afternoon/evening (just got home) to take the granddaughter home. I kept the performance tune installed on the way up and flashed to the tow tune for the ride home.

So here is my two cents....and that's about all it's worth....lol. I see why Frenchy likes the tow tune. I believe I will keep the tow tune installed during the week for commuting on the interstate. Don't get me wrong....I absolutely LOVE the hot tune and will definitely flash to that on the weekends. It is very fun to drive with that tune running around town. VERY quick! So it is the tune for the low end to mid power band and the tow tune is definitely the tune for the mid to top end band. The only issue is top end. I could not get above 110 mph with the tow tune (will talk to Anthony about that). I have not tried the top end on the performance tune.
As far as the shift goes. I don't feel that the performance tune with performance shift, shifts that hard....lol. I like the way it shifts and I hope it stays that way.
The way my truck comes out of the hole when you romp it and through the first 3 gears is extraordinary! The way the rear end kind of bumps sharply to the side but stays nice in space is wild!
With the tow tune....it felt like it just wanted to eat up the pavement at 80-100 mph driving down the interstate! The tow tune seems to hit fairly well on the low end too.
So I love both of them for their respective differences with the very short time I have touched them.....always IMHO :clap:
I like your review. Something to keep in mind about the speed limiter..... Make sure you dont set it for above the speed rating on your tires!! Just a safety aspect there. Also if you are building your truck for Offroad(even if it is light) your tires probably wont have a very high speed rating. I think the factory tires are a T speed rated. That translate to 118 MPH. Most All Terrain tires will be an S Speed rating or 112 MPH so just be aware.

On the switching tunes... You do you but i personally recommend sticking with one tune so the transmission does less learning and stays fairly consistent.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I like your review. Something to keep in mind about the speed limiter..... Make sure you dont set it for above the speed rating on your tires!! Just a safety aspect there. Also if you are building your truck for Offroad(even if it is light) your tires probably wont have a very high speed rating. I think the factory tires are a T speed rated. That translate to 118 MPH. Most All Terrain tires will be an S Speed rating or 112 MPH so just be aware.

On the switching tunes... You do you but i personally recommend sticking with one tune so the transmission does less learning and stays fairly consistent.
Very good point on the tire rating Frenchy!!

austinb324

First Name
Austin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4
I switched over to Livernois recently and love it so far. I dont have any of the issues I was having with my other tune. One thing that does bother me with the Livernois performance tune is unless im babying the truck, for the first few shifts it feels like the shifting makes the truck "lunge" forward. It's not a harsh jolt but more of a feeling like i'm in a manual and am shifting at a high RPM. Kinda hard to explain the feeling accurately.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I switched over to Livernois recently and love it so far. I dont have any of the issues I was having with my other tune. One thing that does bother me with the Livernois performance tune is unless im babying the truck, for the first few shifts it feels like the shifting makes the truck "lunge" forward. It's not a harsh jolt but more of a feeling like i'm in a manual and am shifting at a high RPM. Kinda hard to explain the feeling accurately.
I love my Livernois tuning also! I have noticed a couple of things but nothing bad. It feels like I get a little kick in the pants when she's downshifting sometimes. Also, my exhaust system must heat up a bit more. I'm hearing the metal make that ting sound here and there when I stop at lights and after driving when I pull in the garage.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Yeah that lovely jerkyness is the learning procedure. Give it quite a bit of time and that will go away for you.

Mustang2Ranger

First Name
Garrett
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger Lariat-FX4,4X4,White Platinum; 06 Escape

Would not recommend shifting tunes often

As another member said, it will be always relearning basically

Also you run the risk of having a failed install and having to recover the ECU. I tested the different tunes in the beginning and it corrupted a few times. The tuner has a built in recovery feature but man it was scary

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
I took the Unleashed tune off my truck while I upgrade some components. It too never lost the harsh engagement coming out of Park or Reverse/Neutral. The factory tune us smooth within a hundred miles.

I wonder if the tuners could isolate and minimize this?

It's something the Mrs. complains about when driving/riding.

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Would not recommend shifting tunes often

As another member said, it will be always relearning basically

Also you run the risk of having a failed install and having to recover the ECU. I tested the different tunes in the beginning and it corrupted a few times. The tuner has a built in recovery feature but man it was scary
So I’m staying with the hottest tune for my full time daily driver. I probably won’t switch tunes again unless I’m towing. Now as far as loading tunes, when I had a very long talk with Anthony from Livernois and expressing to him how I love that harder shift. He told me whenever I feel the shift soften up just reload the tune to get it back fresh into learning mode. Won’t hurt anything.
Sponsored