Livernois Tuning Question

Sign1941

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT/FX4
I have had Livernois Tunes in the past, but was not sure with the current tune if you had to mount it to operate the tune or is that an optional feature? I would like to load the tune, un plug and stay under wraps that I have a tune in the truck? Probably a rookie question? Thanks in advance for those who currently have the tune!
Sponsored

Stevo56

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XLT, 2016 Ford Taurus SEL AWD
Occupation
Retired
You don't have to keep the tuner plugged in. Load the tune and unplug.
Some like to keep it plugged in for the data you can get onscreen but is not necessary.

OP
OP
Sign1941

Sign1941

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT/FX4
You don't have to keep the tuner plugged in. Load the tune and unplug.
Some like to keep it plugged in for the data you can get onscreen but is not necessary.
Thanks! I'm waiting till my first Oil Change at 1000 miles then will order!

AzScorpion

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Ranger Tremor
Occupation
CEO of DeeZee
They have 5 tunes for the Ranger and you'll get all of them. I like the 91-93 performance tune and have been running that one since August. Like Steve mentioned you don't need to keep it plugged in but you can see data if you do. They sell a suction cup mount which if you're wanting to mount it you should get when you order your tune. Otherwise it cost more to ship it than the mount.

IMG_2774.jpg

OP
OP
Sign1941

Sign1941

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT/FX4
They have 5 tunes for the Ranger and you'll get all of them. I like the 91-93 performance tune and have been running that one since August. Like Steve mentioned you don't need to keep it plugged in but you can see data if you do. They sell a suction cup mount which if you're wanting to mount it you should get when you order your tune. Otherwise it cost more to ship it than the mount.

IMG_2774.jpg
Thanks for the INFO and the picture! Nice to know I can choose when I want to have the unit plugged in but still use it when I want to see the data.

Reactions: Doc

RANGER_MARC

First Name
MARC
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
FORD RANGER LARIAT 2019
Occupation
TEACH
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for the INFO and the picture! Nice to know I can choose when I want to have the unit plugged in but still use it when I want to see the data.
The Ford Performance tune for Ranger is the same deal: you have the option of keeping the unit visible or of packing it up afterwards, which is the option I chose--my cabin is too cluttered as it is! Either way, we love the added HP & torque and the smoother, sharper shifting! (The FP only gives you one tune to choose from, however!)

Last edited:

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Everyone here is correct about the tune, you will not need to keep the tuner plugged in but it is nice to have temp gauges for transmission and other things.

I will also state that every time you load a tune from Livernois or go back to stock the transmission will be learning again sonit will be rough. I suggest going with the Tow tune for great daily driving focused on low to mid range power that will be great for street towing and offroad.

Reactions: R_B
OP
OP
Sign1941

Sign1941

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 XLT/FX4
Everyone here is correct about the tune, you will not need to keep the tuner plugged in but it is nice to have temp gauges for transmission and other things.

I will also state that every time you load a tune from Livernois or go back to stock the transmission will be learning again sonit will be rough. I suggest going with the Tow tune for great daily driving focused on low to mid range power that will be great for street towing and offroad.
Great advice on the Tow Tune...thanks!

FoD

First Name
Terry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT FX4 Chrome Iconic Silver
Occupation
COO of Dave's DeeZee Enterprising
Vehicle Showcase
So, based on the picture and your hand on the wheel at standard 2 o'clock position, looks like you stuck it just to the right of straight ahead on the windshield...guess that fills it up now.

1607692794490.png

:crackup:

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
so, having just gotten my ranger and reading about tunes, if you get a livernois tune and enable the tow mode feature with a tune, does that move the upshifts as when stock, or how does that mode work with a tune and transmission operation? I'm specifically looking at page 159 of my owner's manual. And i don't know how the tune works in sport mode and tow mode. Any light would be helpful. And yes, I am that type of guy who reads the owner manual and surfs this forum. I am considering the livernois.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
so, having just gotten my ranger and reading about tunes, if you get a livernois tune and enable the tow mode feature with a tune, does that move the upshifts as when stock, or how does that mode work with a tune and transmission operation? I'm specifically looking at page 159 of my owner's manual. And i don't know how the tune works in sport mode and tow mode. Any light would be helpful. And yes, I am that type of guy who reads the owner manual and surfs this forum. I am considering the livernois.
When hitting the tow mode button it will affect the transmission shifting all together. It will hold a lower gear a little bit longer depending on throttle especially if you get into it and just let off the throttle. In a way it's almost like a sporty feel on that part. Also it does a better job at downshifting with engine braking. Also the load sensitivity is way more sensitive until mode. It's much easier to go into a lower gear and tow mode than it is with normal mode. The tune will not affect this feature. I myself have the tow tune installed by livernois's on my truck and still use the tow mode every once in awhile.

TomC

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 ranger lariat supercab FX4
Occupation
Family vehicle MX officer
I myself have the tow tune installed by livernois's on my truck and still use the tow mode every once in awhile.
ok. Thanks for the reply. what is the difference between the regular Livernois tune, and using tow mode, and using a tow specific tune? Is that something you can see on a HP/Torque chart, and can you readily feel the difference? Just curious. TIA, TomC.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
ok. Thanks for the reply. what is the difference between the regular Livernois tune, and using tow mode, and using a tow specific tune? Is that something you can see on a HP/Torque chart, and can you readily feel the difference? Just curious. TIA, TomC.
Unfortunately I have never put my truck on the dyno at this time. I have also asked livernois's for a Dyno sheet but they have not provided one and told me that the reason for the tow tune is really just to increase efficiency without going stupid crazy. Now I can say with running the tow tune daily I have noticed an increase on the low to mid-range power and a little bit more efficient shift points. Also the fuel mapping has been cleaned up by a lot and I have gained fuel mileage with it. How much you might ask? Probably about 2 miles a gallon at best. It really depends on my driving conditions of where I'm going what he'll am I hitting am I going up it or down it and whether the wind is at my back or at my face. If the winds at your face I'm sorry there's not much you can do because fuel mileage is going to be tossed right out the window lol. Other than that I can say it's well worth having. I run it all the time just for the fact that there are times I tell with my truck and when I go off-road I want my power to be focused at the low to mid-range. The performance tune is good but it's more focused for max power and at the top end.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
I run the FP tune (which is Livernois resold by Ford Performance) in tow mode and traction control off all day every day. Creates the aggressive driving experience I was looking for when getting a tune in the first place. The truck feels “hungry”.

Engine braking downshifts are aggressive, I like it not skipping second gear, and tow mode turns off the auto start/stop too. I’ve observed WOT shifting between Tow and Sport to be very similar, with RPM at shift points in Tow mode to be maybe 500 rpm sooner than Sport, however when examining the dyno charts thread a majority of these motors don’t make peak power after 5700 rpm so I’m glad tow mode WOT shift points actually keep the motor in a stronger part of the power band too. Prob helps clarify for me why the truck WOT pulls feel stronger in tow vs sport mode.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab

IMG_2774.jpg
If anyone has figured out how to get this Procal tool to display boost pressure in PSI I’d appreciate the insight. Kinda sucks not being able to when other tools like the 5star Tuning tool can.
Sponsored