First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT, Hawk Topper
Occupation
Retired
Dont forget the hitch pin looks like its the wrong size too!!

I hate regulation, i hate big government,
Damn, heres the but monkey,
But, trailers not towed correctly kill people. Big problem here where i live. See it on the daily.
Good catch on the pin. It is the wrong size and I wondered if anyone else would notice that. We are a talented bunch here!
Sponsored

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
Good catch on the pin. It is the wrong size and I wondered if anyone else would notice that. We are a talented bunch here!
Didn't notice that, but it makes sense....lot easier to pull the pin to remove the hitch head.
You know how stubborn those pesky hitch pins can be....

mlarma

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT 4x2
Occupation
Computers/Networks
Was trying to reply to @TexJones but the posting didn’t go that way.

I have a 2023 Imagine XLS 23LDE. It seems to tow fine but dialing it in helps a lot. I noticed that your propane tanks aren’t mounted in the pic you posted with your 2600RB. How was your hitch weight and payload? Anything exceeded? Also what was max payload before you started on your truck. Just trying to see if you have any pointers I could learn from since we’re both pulling pretty large GD RVs. We’ll large for our trucks for sure. I looked at the 2500RL and 2600RB when I got the 23LDE. Liked the LDE more but also felt the others were too close to or even over the limit. My max payload before starting out (sticker on door) is 1674 lbs.

reidmefirst

First Name
Reid
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Computer stuff
Moved my sailboat out of storage in preparation for spring. Just took it to the marina where it will receive some nice racing bottom paint. The boat is an S2 7.9, kind of a "Great Lakes racing sailboat". It's the reason I bought the Ranger. It's a 1980s hull and kind of heavy compared to more modern construction. Total package of boat+trailer weighs around 6000 (6300 on the cat scale last fall, but I've since removed a lot of tools and useless bits from the interior so this is a guesstimate).

boat-haul.jpg

I posted about hauling the same boat in this thread just a few months ago. Lessons learned from my first times towing: I put as much crap up front as I could to get tongue weight up. And double checked the trailer tire pressure this time. Last time it turns out the tires were down a few pounds from what they should be. I had brought my air compressor but forgot the chuck when I moved in the fall, whoopsie daisy.

I'm not sure what my tongue weight is currently but will say combination of weight management and tire pressure was a HUGE improvement from towing in the fall. I experience absolutely no sway, even when I had a 30mph gusty crossbreeze. Even the crummy surge brakes felt totally adequate. I'm still considering rebuilding the trailer to have electric brakes, but after this drive I'm not sure I really *need* to. This thing tows like champ even with the crappy setup. Glad I got this truck and not a "fullsize". Really, the Ranger is a fullsize anyway...

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller
Moved my sailboat out of storage in preparation for spring. Just took it to the marina where it will receive some nice racing bottom paint. The boat is an S2 7.9, kind of a "Great Lakes racing sailboat". It's the reason I bought the Ranger. It's a 1980s hull and kind of heavy compared to more modern construction. Total package of boat+trailer weighs around 6000 (6300 on the cat scale last fall, but I've since removed a lot of tools and useless bits from the interior so this is a guesstimate).

boat-haul.jpg

Even the crummy surge brakes felt totally adequate. I'm still considering rebuilding the trailer to have electric brakes, but after this drive I'm not sure I really *need* to.
Wouldn't the electric brakes be problematic when the boat (and brakes) is backed into the water?
Nice looking boat!

Mobius97

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat Fx4-Lotus Evora-Lotus Elise-BMW X7 M

CougFan

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat 4WD
Hi everyone. New to the forum so thought I'd add to this thread. I have a 2020 Jayco SLX Baja 154BH. About 2700 dry and not much more for weekend camping, a little more for a longer trip. I have been towing it with the Ranger with just a friction sway control but picked up a used E2 WDH (4500lb) for a longer trip I have planned later this year over the mountains (finally going to Steens Mt in SE Oregon!). The Ranger tows it with no issues. This is not my first trailer but the set up is the best I've ever had. This truck could tow a lot more but this trailer is all I need.

I'm a glamper so it's full hookups, and no obstructions for the satellite dish for me! My days of roughing it ended years ago. I could boondock in this but the tanks are kind of small so prefer to just park somewhere and see the sights in the Ranger.

Ranger.jpeg

Arly

First Name
Arlyn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT super cab (dog space)
Occupation
trails maintenance
Hi everyone. New to the forum so thought I'd add to this thread. I have a 2020 Jayco SLX Baja 154BH. About 2700 dry and not much more for weekend camping, a little more for a longer trip. I have been towing it with the Ranger with just a friction sway control but picked up a used E2 WDH (4500lb) for a longer trip I have planned later this year over the mountains (finally going to Steens Mt in SE Oregon!). The Ranger tows it with no issues. This is not my first trailer but the set up is the best I've ever had. This truck could tow a lot more but this trailer is all I need.

I'm a glamper so it's full hookups, and no obstructions for the satellite dish for me! My days of roughing it ended years ago. I could boondock in this but the tanks are kind of small so prefer to just park somewhere and see the sights in the Ranger.

Ranger.jpeg
We are looking to upgrade our camper something like you have. We've been throught the Steen's as well.

Last edited:

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers

Ranger.jpeg
Nice! I've just been doing the RV rentals. I figure I save enough in annual taxes and maintenance by renting that I can keep doing that for a while. I live too close to the coast to bother owning one to rent, as half the population in a radius form my place are just fish.

Guessing you have the Ford optional brake controller or did decide to go a different direction on that.

What is the altitude you plan to go on those trips? Just a reminder that Ford's official GCWR (12,500lb for 4x4 Screw) goes down 3% every 1,000ft over sea level.

CougFan

First Name
Laura
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Super Crew Lariat 4WD
Nice! I've just been doing the RV rentals. I figure I save enough in annual taxes and maintenance by renting that I can keep doing that for a while. I live too close to the coast to bother owning one to rent, as half the population in a radius form my place are just fish.

Guessing you have the Ford optional brake controller or did decide to go a different direction on that.

What is the altitude you plan to go on those trips? Just a reminder that Ford's official GCWR (12,500lb for 4x4 Screw) goes down 3% every 1,000ft over sea level.
Just over the Cascades so nothing over 5000ft (starting my trip in Medford so going over Lake of the Woods on 140 which I believe is the highest pass in the south Cascades).

I'm familiar with HP loss after dragging my previous trailer over Echo Summit (7300ft) on hwy 50 in CA on my way to Lake Tahoe with an F150 w/5.4. I doubt with this little trailer I'll ever get close to the GCWR.

I got a Prodigy brake controller. I'm familiar with them and like how they work. I've installed several brake controllers in my life and this one was the most difficult. Could have something to do with not being as agile as I used to be, but it was hard. I wish they would've just put in a .50 cent plug on the end of the wires under the dash. Finding the wires wasn't the problem, stripping the little, tiny purple wire took several tries before I got it (losing what little wire there was each time). It works just fine so I'm not changing it now.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
Just back from a 500 mile round trip with the newly updated, and what I consider, the final version of, our setup. Fully loaded for 3 people and about 10-15 gallons of water in the fresh tank.

And the Blackstone Tailgator in the bed, because is is about 1" too tall to fit in the f-ing basement of the trailer without taking it apart.......damnit.

--Edit--

We highly recommend the James Island County Park campground. Super nice facility, although a little high for a county park, it is a very very nice park.

IMG_20230308_141106593_HDR.jpg