What are you guys towing?

LaBalbe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat
Someone globally is towing something cool

1679871214788.png
My grandfather flew one of those in WWII; never set foot in a plane again until the 60th anniversary celebrations for D-Day, when they flew a bunch of veterans out there. As a kid, I always dreamed about getting one for him one day, but the opportunity has passed.

Lateknightucd

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Lariat Jungle Edition
Occupation
Medical Compliance
C2BAC795-9E9F-4484-BD51-6B5DB9FFA571.jpeg

90FE82F6-CACE-4584-97F8-F02161C8581A.jpeg

0F40A983-648B-4AEB-B1A5-2682CC700CB9.jpeg

A 14’ teardrop trailer for the first 2023 camping trip. 85 degrees today and snow expected Monday. That’s Michigan for you. ??‍♂
It’s a NuCamp Tag XL. Basically a king bed and storage inside with a galley in the back. No toilet but it’s just me, my son, and the dog so we make do. This was a shake down for a larger trip to the Rockies, North into Canada and back home in June.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired

A 14’ teardrop trailer for the first 2023 camping trip. 85 degrees today and snow expected Monday. That’s Michigan for you. ??‍♂
It’s a NuCamp Tag XL. Basically a king bed and storage inside with a galley in the back. No toilet but it’s just me, my son, and the dog so we make do. This was a shake down for a larger trip to the Rockies, North into Canada and back home in June.
How’d it pull? See you on the trail this Saturday hopefully !

TheDo114

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT

That color is so nice!

Lateknightucd

First Name
Patrick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ranger Lariat Jungle Edition
Occupation
Medical Compliance
How’d it pull? See you on the trail this Saturday hopefully !
A definite improvement on the hills compared to the Outback. I barely noticed it back there!

I'm still planning to make the run on Saturday with you guys. We're navigating end-of-life decisions for our 16 year old dog so I'm a maybe if that goes south.

Stevedbvik1

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ranger Tremor XLT
Occupation
Retired
A definite improvement on the hills compared to the Outback. I barely noticed it back there!

I'm still planning to make the run on Saturday with you guys. We're navigating end-of-life decisions for our 16 year old dog so I'm a maybe if that goes south.
So sorry for you guys to go through that. Been there many times. Will be thinking of you.

DaveB729

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4 Crew Cab
Hey all, new member here and wanted to join the conversation on towing. I’m hoping to get some opinion/advice about pulling our new travel trailer. Truck is a ‘21 XLT FX4. I’ve installed a brake controller and replaced the factory bump stops with medium Sumo Springs. Also have a Blue Ox Sway Pro WD hitch. We recently purchased this Forest River NoBo 19.6. Dry weight is right around 4300. It’s just the wife, dog, and I, and most of the campsites we go to have full hookups, so most of the time I won’t need a full tank of water. The truck has been pulling the trailer great around town and this past weekend we took it for our first camping trip (sorry, forgot to snag a photo so the only one I have is from when we picked it up at the dealer). Our trip was about 70 miles away, mostly interstate driving, with a 15-20 mph head and cross wind. I kept it around 63mph most of the way and MPG dropped to 9 according to the trip computer. Coming home we had a bit more of a tailwind and MPG moved up to 11. I’m a bit disappointed in having that much of an MPG hit but it wasn’t completely unexpected. I was, however, pretty impressed at how well the truck handled the tow, even with the nasty wind gusts.

Anyways, I’m wondering what your experience is with the Ranger pulling up steep hills. We have a couple trips planned this summer with a route that includes a hill with a 7% grade for about 6 miles. Is the Ranger truly capable of this without causing damage? How slow can I expect to be limited to? Is it best to keep it in tow mode and let the transmission do all the thinking, or upshift manually? what about controlling the downhill? Any advice or experience is welcome. I’m completely okay with taking it slow, but want to be prepared for what to expect. Thanks all
IMG_6266.jpeg

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Nice looking setup. My rigs a little lighter than yours, I'm about 4000 loaded. Pulling a TT is a huge mileage killer and headwinds just make it worse.

As far as suggestions. First keep it in tow mode. It help with engine braking on the down hills as well as better shift points. Second lock-out at least 9th and 10th gears, maybe even 8th on longer climbs. Third keep the speed down under 65, under 60 is better. It tough on the interstates. Did a 7500 mile trip out west and back last year and set my absolute fastest speed at 70, averaged 11.5 mpg. Lastly get yourself a ODB2 guage setup so you can monitor engine temp and transmission temp. I use the Torque Pro app, but there are many options.

Oh yeah, amost forgot check your tire pressures. You might want to bump them up a little when towing.

Travel safe and enjoy your trailer.

DaveB729

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger FX4 Crew Cab
Great suggestions! What tire pressure do you recommend? I’ve been bumping them up to 40, not sure if I should go higher than that. Also, and sorry for the noob question, what does it mean to ”lock out“ gears and how do I do that?

Big Blue

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Supercrew lighting blue
Occupation
Retired mechanical designer
Great suggestions! What tire pressure do you recommend? I’ve been bumping them up to 40, not sure if I should go higher than that. Also, and sorry for the noob question, what does it mean to ”lock out“ gears and how do I do that?
When your in D press one of the buttons on the side of the shifter. The first press will bring up the gears in the dash. On my XLT it to the left of the center display. The current gear will be highlighted. If you press the minus button it will lockout gears starting from the top down, they will disapear from the list. If you press the plus button it will added back in. This resets when shut off the truck like tow mode. As far as tire pressures. My sticker says 38 psi but I run them normally at 34-35 for ride quality. For towing i run then around 40 psi. Just don’t go over the maximum listed on the tire sidewall. Everyone will be different based on the tires you have and the load your carrying.

Last edited:

ControlNode

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
84 Civic "2000S"/16 Focus RS/21 Ranger XLT
Occupation
Computers
Nice looking setup. My rigs a little lighter than yours, I'm about 4000 loaded. Pulling a TT is a huge mileage killer and headwinds just make it worse.

As far as suggestions. First keep it in tow mode. It help with engine braking on the down hills as well as better shift points. Second lock-out at least 9th and 10th gears, maybe even 8th on longer climbs. Third keep the speed down under 65, under 60 is better. It tough on the interstates. Did a 7500 mile trip out west and back last year and set my absolute fastest speed at 70, averaged 11.5 mpg. Lastly get yourself a ODB2 guage setup so you can monitor engine temp and transmission temp. I use the Torque Pro app, but there are many options.

Oh yeah, amost forgot check your tire pressures. You might want to bump them up a little when towing.

Travel safe and enjoy your trailer.
I'll add make sure you are using premium fuel while towing as the manual states you should. Manual also states max speed while towing is 62mph. I pulled a 6,200lb brick shaped (no aero angles to the leading edge at all) trailer for the race club a couple weekends ago about 300 miles and got just over 12mpg with premium and the Ford performance tune.
Sponsored