Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
So I've really nailed this down to temperature and octane as being the biggest contributors to amount of vapor and what's in the vapor. I've switched over completely to 91 octane now that I have a Sam's Club and Costco membership. Drove 5.5 hours from Fort Collins, CO to Rapid City, SD over the weekend to visit family. Temperatures were in the mid-50's going up on Friday. It takes a full tank to drive up and I only collected approximately 1/2 tablespoon. Temps in the high 30's to low 40's on the way home Saturday and I caught just about the same amount. When the temps drop down below freezing I have been catching up to 2.5 oz per tank of gas. Also, with the change to 91 octane I am catching almost 0 gunk/oil. Another thing, after a bit of study I'm not sure there is room for the Mish XL catch can due to the location of the left intercooler pipe.
Sponsored

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Automotive Interior Repair
1.0 Number of miles since last dumped the catch can. 1000

2.0 ml / ounces of fluid collected (pour into a clear container and post up a photo),
I didn’t measure, but it filled the can up 3/4 of the way.

3.0 Type and grade of oil I'm using,
Castro’s Edge full synthetic 5w30. Changed 3 times now.

4.0 Octane and type of fuel I'm running,
I’m e85 full time. E85r thrown in when I go to the track.

5.0 Leadfoot or Grandma? (I'm a lead foot: lots of boost -or- I drive like a grandma),
I drive my truck hard probably way too much.

6.0 Mostly Fuel, Mostly Oil or both.
Both for sure.

7.0 Mileage with CC ______, Total Mileage- I’ve had my catch can since 400 miles. Total mileage is 81xx.

8.0 Short trips, Highway or Both,
Both but 75% street driving.

people can keep saying that a catch can is pointless, but they couldn’t be more wrong. The shit I dump out of this thing is ridiculous. People who are cool with this going back into the system are tripping.

6C8B916C-BD4A-4D74-AE4F-639ED828F65B.jpeg

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
1.0 Number of miles since last dumped the catch can. 1000

2.0 ml / ounces of fluid collected (pour into a clear container and post up a photo),
I didn’t measure, but it filled the can up 3/4 of the way.

3.0 Type and grade of oil I'm using,
Castro’s Edge full synthetic 5w30. Changed 3 times now.

4.0 Octane and type of fuel I'm running,
I’m e85 full time. E85r thrown in when I go to the track.

5.0 Leadfoot or Grandma? (I'm a lead foot: lots of boost -or- I drive like a grandma),
I drive my truck hard probably way too much.

6.0 Mostly Fuel, Mostly Oil or both.
Both for sure.

7.0 Mileage with CC ______, Total Mileage- I’ve had my catch can since 400 miles. Total mileage is 81xx.

8.0 Short trips, Highway or Both,
Both but 75% street driving.

people can keep saying that a catch can is pointless, but they couldn’t be more wrong. The shit I dump out of this thing is ridiculous. People who are cool with this going back into the system are tripping.

6C8B916C-BD4A-4D74-AE4F-639ED828F65B.jpeg
The question though is does it go back in the system... and if it does, is it hurting anything?

I have yet to read anything about folks have coking issues on a Ranger...... yet.

importfighter01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Ranger XL SuperCab
I’ll share something regarding DI engines I had happen to me and why I now believe in catch cans for them, NA or FI. I have a 2012 Infiniti QX56 with 90k. Great motor, zero issues until this: I get a hairline crack in intake manifold along PCV ports due to heat. No biggie, grab another off lower mileage unit in junkyard and swap out. When doing so, I take a look at the valves to make sure all looked in order. I was blown away.

I live in a non-dusty climate in GA. Always use OEM air filters too. And changed the PCV valves on the regular as well. However the valve stems and walls of the chambers looked like an alien fungus was growing all over them. To the point half of the air volume of each chamber was filled with this weirdness. Now the car has no issues so I was going to ignore and put it all back together. But I couldn’t do it lol. I used a pic tool and scrapped the soft goo off of all the surfaces, pulling it out glop by glop for 3 hrs. I determined that what I was removing was basically a fine grease formed from super fine dust and oil from the PCV system. Because DI engines don’t wash the valves in fuel this slurry was slowly caking onto the camber walls and valve stems over 90k miles.

The result of the cleaning was outstanding. Picked up noticeable acceleration with less throttle response needed and 3 mpg too. I am installing catch cans on my Infiniti now as a result. Bottom line is I learned that since nothing cleans the valves ever in a DI motor, I need to keep the incoming air as clean as possible, be it dust or oil vapors, or what I experienced can happen to anyone on any DI engine. A catch can helps to do just that. Thanks!

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
The question though is does it go back in the system... and if it does, is it hurting anything?

I have yet to read anything about folks have coking issues on a Ranger...... yet.
That seems to be the questions for the people who are cheaping out on a catch can, no offense.

how many people have to post these pictures of crap in the their catch can before everyone just says “damn.. maybe I don’t want that going back into my system”

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
If you ever tear down engines(high miles), you will see a difference between rail set ups and catch can installs. Dont buy cheap CCs, they are useless, personally I use Provent bc its available to me here.
I dont want this crap blowing back through the system. My turbo, piping, intercooler, and sensors will thank me later.

OP
OP
HenryMac

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
That seems to be the questions for the people who are cheaping out on a catch can, no offense.

how many people have to post these pictures of crap in the their catch can before everyone just says “damn.. maybe I don’t want that going back into my system”
Cheaping out? Ford added equipment on the Ranger 2.3 to handle this... yet folks keep adding untested unproven catch cans by companies that haven't spent the dollars to prove the technology.

Tailgate Dampers and Muffler Bearings...

Sulli

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Cheaping out? Ford added equipment on the Ranger 2.3 to handle this... yet folks keep adding untested unproven catch cans by companies that haven't spent the dollars to prove the technology.

Ford added equipment to deal with the gallon of gunk you’ll run through your system in a years time?

you can’t truly keep a straight face when saying catch cans haven’t been proven right?

Last edited:

Sigtau125

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger lariat fx4
Occupation
Medical technologist
Emptied my today. Every three months. Don’t know the mileage.

B7804BE4-2C35-4E41-BA03-B11923C29DDC.jpeg

344011E4-EE20-49FC-BB32-000EDFE8D902.jpeg

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
Is this (mostly) a 2019 thing? Most postings on this site seem to be (mostly) 2019. Are there any changes made to newer engines (2020-21)

landiscarrier

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat, Focus ST
Occupation
Sales

I agree. I had CC’s on my Focus ST and I don’t think they did much at all. I’m changing my oil at a regular basis and trusting the Ford Engineers and every other engineer that developed DI engines without a CC’s on them. I drive a truck not a Lamborghini.
Just my opinion.

D Fresh

Banned
Banned
First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 Lariat FX4, '17 FiST, '16 CX-5, '95 YJ
Occupation
Milkman
I agree. I had CC’s on my Focus ST and I don’t think they did much at all. I’m changing my oil at a regular basis and trusting the Ford Engineers and every other engineer that developed DI engines without a CC’s on them. I drive a truck not a Lamborghini.
Just my opinion.
On top of that U've seen them cause problems on other DI platforms.

Seems like snake oil to me.

If my valves coke up I can always walnut blast 'em.

gwhalin

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger Lariat Tremor
Occupation
Retired
Some of these are crazy full. What happens if you don’t empty in time and the can overfills?