First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
Oil dilution is definitely an issue and a “fix” is a catch can. It’s the nature of the beast with DI engines. I also run one on my 2017 Mustang GT tuned on E85 and it’s port injected. Anything being regurgitated back into the motor isn’t a good thing and catch cans remedy that.
yep. The question is , is fuel in the catch can the problem, or is having a catch can the problem.

McLeadslinger

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT FX4 Sport.
Occupation
Aircraft Electrician
Not all EB are Direct injection. I’ve owned 5 EB vehicles 3 F-150’s, Ranger and Focus RS. the only ones that have Been DI is my Focus RS and My Ranger. My port injected EB F-150’s didn’t have issues with fuel in the oil. I agree that 5-6 ounces of fuel ever 1k miles is reason for concern though. I would be that it’s a combination of oil, condensation and fuel.

I have had three vehicles with the 2.3 Ecoboost engine and have accumulated almost 100,000 miles on them. Never had enough fuel in the oil to even get a fuel smell.

To the OP if you are getting 5 to 6 ounces of in your catch can in less than 1000 miles you have a problem that needs to be checked by the dealer. I check my UPR catch cans once a month which is approximately 1200 miles. I have never had more than an 1/8" or so in the can most of it is condensation.

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
Not all EB are Direct injection. I’ve owned 5 EB vehicles 3 F-150’s, Ranger and Focus RS. the only ones that have Been DI is my Focus RS and My Ranger. My port injected EB F-150’s didn’t have issues with fuel in the oil. I agree that 5-6 ounces of fuel ever 1k miles is reason for concern though. I would be that it’s a combination of oil, condensation and fuel.
Well I have owned a total of (5) Ford products with Direct Injection, a NA 2.0 Focus, a 2.0 Ecoboost Focus ST, two 2.3 Ecoboost Mustangs and the 2.3 Ecoboost Ranger. None of these vehicles ever had enough blowby that the oil ever had a gasoline smell. None of them ever had an increasing oil level.

All engines DI or NA will have some blowby but if you are getting enough fuel into the pan that causes the oil level to increases as has been reported on this forum or are collecting 5 to 6 ounces of anything in a catch can in a 1000 miles there is a problem with the engine. It is not a DI characteristic.

In six years of participation on the Ecoboost Mustang forum I have never heard any one complain about enough fuel getting into the pan to cause the level to rise or more than a 1/2 ounce collecting in a catch can in a 1000 miles
Sponsored