Catch Can Poll

Since installing a Catch Can on your Ranger do you have a lingering fuel odor?

• Total voters

Racket

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Lariat Supercrew 2WD
Occupation
Transient
So Mishimoto sent me new hoses for my catch can but I completely removed the can. First, I have no idea how they make it seem so easy to remove the hoses from the factory ports; I do not have huge hands. Second, after about an hour of wrestling and cutting my hands, I finally removed the old Mishimoto hoses. They had a light coating of a brown "powder/residue" on them. A quick sniff confirmed that the hoses stink of exhaust/fuel, just like the old days working on cars. To make sure, I put the wife up to the sniff test since I had been exposed to it for over an hour. Same conclusion, smelled of fuel to her. So I made the decision NOT to reinstall the catch can since it was extremely difficult to remove the hoses from the factory port.
Took the Ranger out to run errands, 30 minutes of drive time, parked her in the closed garage, no odor. Yesterday after an hour trip home from work, parked in the closed garage, 30 minutes later, voila', NO smell. Its the hoses! If they had some kind of hard shell like the factory pipe, nonpermeable, that would kill the odor. I have a slightly used catch can with brand new hoses for sale, cheap, if anyone is interested?
I can't imagine the nightmare of putting the stock hose back in place. My truck has the catch can for life I think.
Sponsored

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
So Mishimoto sent me new hoses for my catch can but I completely removed the can. First, I have no idea how they make it seem so easy to remove the hoses from the factory ports; I do not have huge hands. Second, after about an hour of wrestling and cutting my hands, I finally removed the old Mishimoto hoses. They had a light coating of a brown "powder/residue" on them. A quick sniff confirmed that the hoses stink of exhaust/fuel, just like the old days working on cars. To make sure, I put the wife up to the sniff test since I had been exposed to it for over an hour. Same conclusion, smelled of fuel to her. So I made the decision NOT to reinstall the catch can since it was extremely difficult to remove the hoses from the factory port.
Took the Ranger out to run errands, 30 minutes of drive time, parked her in the closed garage, no odor. Yesterday after an hour trip home from work, parked in the closed garage, 30 minutes later, voila', NO smell. Its the hoses! If they had some kind of hard shell like the factory pipe, nonpermeable, that would kill the odor. I have a slightly used catch can with brand new hoses for sale, cheap, if anyone is interested?
That is interesting...I guess I need to go ahead and invest in that UPR system with the constant vacuum. I'm tired of that smell lingering in the garage. I'm also wondering how long those hoses will last. Thanks for the field testing, it helps us all!

task65

First Name
TERRYT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat
Occupation
Bridge Builder
A few weeks after I installed my Mishimoto can, I could smell the fuel/exhaust/whatever odor you want to call it. To me it smells of fuel. My wife, who knows nothing of cars, came into the house from the garage and told me one of the cars was leaking fuel since it smelled very strong. After I made sure neither vehicle was leaking, I had to try and explain why the strong smell was permeating everything in the garage. I have towels/rags in the garage for cleaning and they smell. Its that bad! After alot of poking and prodding to make sure the hose ends were not leaking, I've narrowed the smell to the hoses themselves. I agree that the hose is permeable and it smells of fuel. I am going to contact Mishimoto about the rubber hoses. If I cant find an alternative hose, I will remove the catch can and revert to changing my oil every 5k.

During the summer in north Texas, I got only about .5oz of fluid, no water, just oily fuel smelly liquid. During the winter, I have to check every 800 miles because the can gets full and the stink is really bad. (thats my indicator) Temps in the morning at or below 40, including a trip to Colorado, the can was full of clear oily fuel smelling thin liquid in 800-1000 miles. I did my unscientific test of pouring onto dirt and lighting it. There wasn't a flash ignition but it lit easily as soon as the flame hit the oily dirt. Next, hold my beer, I am lighting the can to see what happens.

The Mishimoto can does its job but the odor from the hoses is terrible. The can needs to be larger too. sorry for the long post. I will report back whenever Mishimoto responds.
is there a trick in getting the mishi hoses off/

MXGOLF

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lucille my 2020 Ranger Lariat 4x4 -2007 Yamaha FZ6
Occupation
Sales / Photographer
So what do you all think? UPR or Mishimoto? Are the hoses better with UPR? I am going to do mine early this next year for sure.

Thanks,

Trigganometry

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 XLT scab 301A/tow 4X4 magnetic w/sport blackout
Occupation
Engineering
Since we have been discussing Catch Cans quite a bit in here and one of the issues seems to be a fuel odor in and around our Rangers, I figured I'd post this poll to see what everyone is experiencing on the odor front.....
The fuel smell comes from the type of hose used to plumb them in. The fuel vapor permeates through the rubber hose. If you use a PTFE lined hose and the proper fittings you will not have that smell.

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
The fuel smell comes from the type of hose used to plumb them in. The fuel vapor permeates through the rubber hose. If you use a PTFE lined hose and the proper fittings you will not have that smell.
I haven't posted on this subject in a while. I catch so very little vapor in the warm months I almost forget to check it....lol. Anyway, I'm not sure why, but after the first 6 months from the cc install I haven't had any fuel smell that I've noticed. Just an observation....

GatsbyNC1

First Name
MiG
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat FX4
Been installed on my truck for a little less than 8 months. Didn't notice the fuel/oil smells until a month to month and a half in. I thought it was because I forgot to empty it once because it was quite full. Continued to smell the vapor, even though the can was not at all full. Took a look at the hoses in the wheel well and no leaks present, but I did notice these cracks on the hoses going to the barbs on the catch can. There's no leaks and they're dry, however what the other guy said about the smell permeating from the hoses does make sense. It looks like Mishimoto is using incorrectly rated hoses for this application.

I've sent them an email regarding this to see what they say. If this persists, I'm not sure what I'll do. Cutting off the hoses and replacing them with silicone or equivalent fuel/oil rated hose is one thing, but that doesn't bode well due to the kit hoses having OE-style quick connects.

I may be considering another manufacturer for a catch can kit for my truck.

mishimotorangerocchoses.jpg

Reactions: Doc

ymboc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Ranger
Sharing my experience to date:
  • Purchased Mishimoto CatchCan + Drain Kit from ParkAuto Motorsports (Kitchener, ON) June 2021
  • Installed July 2021
  • Gas Smell around front quarter panel developed within a couple months
  • Discovered the hoses had developed cracks December 2021
  • Waited until February 2022 to submit for warranty hose replacement with Mishimoto
    • There was going to be costly replacement + UPS shipping to Canada but the Mishimoto reps found a way to mail the hose kit USPS at a more reasonable fee
  • Installed Yesterday April 2022 (So far so good?)
Photos: Old Cracked Hose (Green Fittings) vs New (Grey Fittings)

20220423_164956.jpg

20220423_164959-COLLAGE.jpg

20220423_165025-COLLAGE.jpg

Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 HPP Mustang, 2021 Ranger STX,2022 Subaru WRX
Occupation
Retired
Scorp runs a catch can on his Dampers !

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
Scorp runs a catch can on his Dampers !
I can't wait to check out Dave's damper setup.....I'll take notes and lots of pictures..... :wink:

Reactions: Doc

LB357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lightning Blue Ranger
Interesting to see the updated hoses, I just received my kit from Stage 3 this week but it included the "old" clips so I reached out to Mishimoto asking about a change in hoses.

OP
OP
txquailguy

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I realized recently that I did a poor job of routing my catch can hoses around my trans cooler. Good reason to order new hoses from Mishimoto and hit the reset button….I’ve got about 50K on the Ranger since installing the can.

LB357

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Lightning Blue Ranger
I realized recently that I did a poor job of routing my catch can hoses around my trans cooler. Good reason to order new hoses from Mishimoto and hit the reset button….I’ve got about 50K on the Ranger since installing the can.
How have your original hoses been holding up after that long? I received a reply from Mishimoto support initially saying the original green clip hoses should be fine and after I asked if I could purchase the grey clip like ymboc received they said I could file a warranty claim which isnt the route I'd like to go, I have no issue paying for them and a warranty doesnt seem the proper route since I havent even installed them. We'll see what happens after asking again on an outright purchase of the hoses.
Sponsored