lawrench

First Name
Harry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat SCrew FX4 Lightning Blue
Vehicle Showcase
So what catch can are you installing? I have been convinced and looking for the best catch cans. Tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly about your catch cans.

I like the Mishimoto Catch Can but not the hoses as many reviews on YouTube complain about cracking hoses.

I like the hoses on the Mountune, but do not like how the mounting is supposed to work.

I do not like how the JTL mounts to the engine.

So tell me your experience with your catch cans.
Sponsored

Last edited:
Reactions: Doc

Dgc333

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Engineer
I had the UPR single valve catch can on both of my Ecoboost Mustangs. I would check them on a monthly basis and would have about 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch in the can, a little more in the winter. I have no way of assessing if another brand would of caught more or less. I selected UPR because in somewhat scientific comparison tests it would rank at the top or near the top. The other thing I really like is it comes with hoses that have factory style quick connect fittings on both ends.

sandog

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Crew Cab Hot Pepper
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I have the UPR dual can. So far, the can only has anything in it if I've been driving when it is cold.
This time of year, the nights are still freezing but days are 55-70.
When I have to go somewhere early and drive a few hours in the cold, a LOT comes out of the can.
If I don't drive until it's warm out, only a few drops come out if that.

I have the drain valve option on mine, the drain hose ends behind the air dam.
Every other day (since it's still winter) I will drain the can. In the summer I'll probably only check it once a week.
It would be a pain to have to unscrew the can to empty, mine is in a tight location between the radiator and battery.

I did slip some #9 O-rings over the ends to tighten up the fittings. Push the O-ring down to the raised lip on the fittings, it removes the slop but the hose still snaps on securely.

Dr3wDrop

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Lariat Tremor
I have the UPR dual can. So far, the can only has anything in it if I've been driving when it is cold.
Do you think the dual valve makes a difference over the single?

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4

puckdodger

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Black Lariat 2020 SOLD Black Cadillac XT5
I have a Mishimoto CC with the cracked hoses on my truck for only a couple more months and then it goes into the garbage. I will not go through the BS involved in replacing the hoses, it will be going back to stock and I will continue to keep up on oil changes and air filter maintenance. Maybe I'll put a breather on like @Doc uses:cool:

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Wow $350 for a catch can, is it worth it? Do you get any oil or gas smell? Some have reported smells coming in the intake tract and out the AC vents into the cabin. A member called UBR and they told him that's normal...

That video does not paint a good future for long term DI vehicle owners.
This video () from the same source (read: bumbling idiots posing as legit reviewers) doesn't paint a good picture for Ranger owners, comments like the upgraded Bose system being garbage.

Maybe these Savage Geese will merge with the TFL guys as the saying goes, misery loves company.

MountainGoat

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT Sport 4x4
This video () from the same source (read: bumbling idiots posing as legit reviewers) doesn't paint a good picture for Ranger owners, comments like the upgraded Bose system being garbage.

Maybe these Savage Geese will merge with the TFL guys as the saying goes, misery loves company.
Weird to see that. I love my Ranger and didn't pay anywhere near $45k. I have my gripes but if the truck lasts 30 years I'll still be driving it. I don't even have the Bose system but it's fine for me and I used to install Alpine/Kicker systems in my cars.

That reviewer obviously needs to be driving the Lamborghini truck with a walnut dash and swan-skin upholstery to be satisfied.

dtech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ranger Lariat FX4, chromed and forever damperless
Weird to see that. I love my Ranger and didn't pay anywhere near $45k. I have my gripes but if the truck lasts 30 years I'll still be driving it. I don't even have the Bose system but it's fine for me and I used to install Alpine/Kicker systems in my cars.

That reviewer obviously needs to be driving the Lamborghini truck with a walnut dash and swan-skin upholstery to be satisfied.
When the 5g was 1st introduced there were a number of bandwagon type reviews that said it didn't measure up to competition - like the Tacoma or Colorado, one of the negatives mentioned repeatedly was that it used an old platform, therefore it had to be deficient.

Then when sales numbers grew a number of these so called experts changed their opinions and rankings.

BTW - I picked up a dual port UPR can for $225 - stage 3 motorsports sales. In retrospect not needed , and how many mfg are not producing DI engines these days , despite the dire predictions from the likes of savage geese.

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
Not gonna lie... the fake sound is dumb haha. But it doesn't bother me. And everyone has their own opinions, and its obvious Svagenes just hates Fords, he all but said it in his video. Most reviews are pretty fair, but this one seems like he has a personal vendetta vs Ford. With that said........ i do think even though i paid 36k for mine, i think it shoulda been priced around 30k ish, but then again i think all cars are overpriced.

Joeiconic

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT
That’s three years old, so old news. Anyway Youtube auto reviewers are a dime a dozen and they are all in competition with each other. Make no mistake, generating clicks/views is their primary goal. I watch a lot of them just to gather info on vehicle features, etc., but I take them all with a grain of salt.
Sponsored