First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2020 Escape
Occupation
Fire truck mechanic
I want the truck to last as long as possible. I find the reports interesting, and want to give the truck good care. I don’t feel like Mobile 1 will kill my truck; it meets Ford’s specs. If I can do better at reasonable cost, I’d like to do so. As stated, I will probably try the Motocraft to see how it does, and I like reading the reports. If you don’t want oil analysis, and I’ve never used it before, feel free not to use it. I don’t use it on my 2016 Corolla with Mobile 1 or my 1998 C2500 with conventional Valvoline. Both are doing great.
I use Mobil 1, and I have for decades. However, it does NOT meet Ford specs. It might say on the label that the Mobil corporation RECOMMENDS that oil for vehicles that require Ford spec WSS-M2C946-B1 , but it has not been approved by Ford. They did license their products under the Dexos spec for GM but for whatever reason skipped Ford (probably money because testing to each manufacturer's spec is costly). That being said, I have every confidence that Mobil One 5W30 is the best oil for our vehicles.
Sponsored

JeffWoodall

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger STX 4X4
Occupation
Security, Retired military (20 yrs), retired law enforcement (15 yrs)
Vehicle Showcase
That's not how that works. I guarantee you even a 20W50 is going to get everywhere that a 0W20 would. Not that you would want to use a 20W50 (Or a 0W20).

Engineers pick the oil based on pressure, flow, and the ability to last through the recommended oil change (IE not shear out of grade), with a large dose of EPA Ratings mixed in. Along with 'will this engine survive until the warranty is out with this recommendation?'

You could run a much thicker oil if you wanted, chances are, the engine would last just as long as a 5W30, but things will suffer. Fuel mileage and potential startup wear for starters. Also, should something break, Ford will likely point the finger at the oil, it would give them a convenient 'out' to not pay for the repair, although they would have to prove the oil caused the failure (not very likely).

The fact of the matter is, except in edge cases (higher power output, racing, etc), a good 5W30 will go the distance, even if it tends to shear slightly out of grade.

Now, for those of us that want the engine to last longer, shorter OCI's, better filters, different oils, etc, can probably tack some life onto the end.

Personally, I worry more about intake valve deposits and soot loading in the oil causing timing chain wear. So I've settled on a 5k OCI with a middle of the road synthetic oil.
I worry about the deposits as well. What do you think about using chevron Techron fuel system cleaner to at least help (perhaps) lessen the valve deposits? From what I’ve read and seen in tests, you have to use it consistently. I don’t really want to be doing walnut blasting at 100K. Thanks

Last edited:

moorejl57

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat FX4, 501A, fully damped
Occupation
Engineer
I worry about the deposits as well. What do you think about using chevron Techron to at least help (perhaps) lessen the valve deposits? From what I’ve read and seen in tests, you have to use it consistently. I don’t really want to be doing walnut blasting at 100K. Thanks
Unfortunately the fuel type won't help as it is injected past the valves directly into the chamber so it doesn't wash them clean like port injection does. Walnut blasting is not too involved and seems to do a really good job. Running cleaners through the intake might help but runs the risk of damaging the turbo.

ctechbob

First Name
Shawn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XL/FX2/STX
Occupation
Adult Daycare
I worry about the deposits as well. What do you think about using chevron Techron to at least help (perhaps) lessen the valve deposits? From what I’ve read and seen in tests, you have to use it consistently. I don’t really want to be doing walnut blasting at 100K. Thanks
Yea, I'm not sure there's a ton that can be done. Run good gas, run good oil, change it at a resonable amount of time. Prepare for a walnut blast around 100k possibly.

2stroke

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Ranger Black Scab XLT FX4, 06 Honda Pilot
Occupation
Auto mechanic, retired
. . . . Pick up some Supertech or Amazon Basics oil in the recommended viscosity, change your oil as recommended, and save a lot of money. Your truck will run well for a very long time.
Not to mention Kirkland motor oil from Costco! Not that I've used it. Does anyone know who makes it?

btsmith52

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger, 2016 Ford Fusion
Occupation
Software Engineering Manager
Not to mention Kirkland motor oil from Costco! Not that I've used it. Does anyone know who makes it?
That's a good point. It's made by Warren Distribution just like Supertech and Amazon Basics. Sometimes it's even cheaper. Another good option!

Sparky2

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Retired electrician
Yea, I'm not sure there's a ton that can be done. Run good gas, run good oil, change it at a resonable amount of time. Prepare for a walnut blast around 100k possibly.
At the rate I use my truck (a soft 3500 ish a year) and not to mention I’m 69 I’ll probably be dead by the time my engine hits 100K. Guess it will be my kids problem to worry about.

Rp930

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘19 Ford Ranger Lariat, ‘23 Macan,’21 Shelby GT500
Occupation
Retired
I use Mobil 1, and I have for decades. However, it does NOT meet Ford specs. It might say on the label that the Mobil corporation RECOMMENDS that oil for vehicles that require Ford spec WSS-M2C946-B1 , but it has not been approved by Ford. They did license their products under the Dexos spec for GM but for whatever reason skipped Ford (probably money because testing to each manufacturer's spec is costly). That being said, I have every confidence that Mobil One 5W30 is the best oil for our vehicles.
Interesting information. Good catch on the “recommends”.

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
You all are aware that Ford does not make it's own oil....it's produced by Conoco-Phillips corp.
They also supply oil for the Kendall brand, and I'm sure many others. Kirkland is produced by Warren Oil company.
Pennzoil is produced by Shell Oil company, and any other private oil brand is made by only one of a few petroleum companies. Not sure about Royal Purple, Amsoil, and the other "singular" brands.

TheRealStreetcommander

First Name
Juvenile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX STX FX4
Occupation
None of your business
I run heavy duty diesel oil, mostly Rotella T4 in all my engines. Always have. Never had a problem. My Ranger has Delvac 15w40 in it now, and has around 55k miles. Oil weights are not determined by tolerances or VCT systems, despite popular lure. If tolerances played a significant role in the manufactures choice to go light, Ford wouldn’t state you need to run 5w50 in their coyote Mustangs when tracked, and 5w30 when on the street.

HDDO has additives in quantities banned by the unelected 4th estate for use in road going gas engines. By all objective testing HDDOs offer greater protection to all IC engines.

As an earlier poster noted, run whatever weight oil makes you feel comfortable.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I run heavy duty diesel oil, mostly Rotella T4 in all my engines. Always have. Never had a problem. My Ranger has Delvac 15w40 in it now, and has around 55k miles. Oil weights are not determined by tolerances or VCT systems, despite popular lure. If tolerances played a significant role in the manufactures choice to go light, Ford wouldn’t state you need to run 5w50 in their coyote Mustangs when tracked, and 5w30 when on the street.

HDDO has additives in quantities banned by the unelected 4th estate for use in road going gas engines. By all objective testing HDDOs offer greater protection to all IC engines.

As an earlier poster noted, run whatever weight oil makes you feel comfortable.
Yeah...... I can tell you what you are doing is a bad idea..... Unless your engine is a Diesel that calls for 15W40.......

Care to weigh in on this @P. A. Schilke ?

TheRealStreetcommander

First Name
Juvenile
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX STX FX4
Occupation
None of your business
Thanks Frenchy. You go ahead and keep using whatever oil you like, and I’ll keep using whatever oil I like.

Who knows, maybe one day you’ll be kind enough to give me a ride when my Ranger burst into flames as a result of the 15w40 HDDO I’m using. But on a serious note, you don’t think the 15w40’d give me HIV, right?

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah...... I can tell you what you are doing is a bad idea..... Unless your engine is a Diesel that calls for 15W40.......

Care to weigh in on this @P. A. Schilke ?
Hi Chris,

Not in my area of expertise but as oil technology increases, there are factors that drive the recommendations for oil viscosity for normal duty, Extreme duty and sometimes cold weather. The durability testing and dyno testing is done with specified oil viscosity. So does this mean you run oil outside the recommendations you void your warranty...likely no as the dealer likely cannot tell the difference. So the key is long term what if anything it does to the engine? Maybe nothing, but as it is untested you are on your own. My opinion is that unless you are an lubrication expert, stick to recommendations in the owners manual.

Best,
Phil

Old NaCl

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT Ranger 2X4
Occupation
Mechanical Designer
Iirc the problem with HDDO is the add packs and your cats.

Friday yet?

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lariat Tremor, Focus ST
Occupation
Corporate drone. Dilbert's world is alive & well.