First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
Attached are the Blackstone numbers for my first 5 oil changes. They keep commenting on how my oil is a little thin. Should I move from Mobile 1 5w-30 to 10w-30? I’m using Wix 51348 filters.
Sponsored

Attachments

Grumpaw

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Lariat Sport Supercab
Occupation
Navy Vet., Retired Police Sgt.
I pretty much lean towards the manufacturer's recommendations....they designed the engines, tested them, so I figure they know what the proper viscosity is.
The only time I ever deviated from the recommendation was with a previous Subaru....called for 0W-20 and I went with a 5W-20.
Ranger....5W-30.
I have always used synthetic oils and factory filters in all my vehicles, have never had an analysis, and have never had an engine go on me.

RedDakooter05

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger STX RWD
"but we're thinking this may be a regular pattern for your Ranger--definitely nothing to be too concerned about "

They probably deal with lots of variations of oils so I wouldn't take it to heart on some of their comments. Stick to 5W-30.

JasonTremor

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger Tremor XLT
There will be lots of opinions on this one, but I had a discussion with my neighbor about it about a month ago. He has a 2015 Toyota 4Runner with the 4.0 v6. It specifies 0w-20 synthetic oil. He was doing an oil change and was putting 10w-40 synthetic in it for an oil change. He noted he has been using that weight since the first oil change and never had issues. It had right at 260k miles on it then and was quiet and smooth and he noted it wasn't using any oil between changes.

I say all that to say this. Use the weight of oil you are comfortable with using.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
Attached are the Blackstone numbers for my first 5 oil changes. They keep commenting on how my oil is a little thin. Should I move from Mobile 1 5w-30 to 10w-30? I’m using Wix 51348 filters.
Quick question for you. What does for recommend for oil viscosity? That will be your answer. Plenty of Engineers like @P. A. Schilke spent a lot of time and money figuring this kind of stuff out. How.much money did theu spend you ask? Chances are more than myself and they make combine.

Canadian Ranger

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.amsoil.com
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Amsoil Dealer
Give Blackstone a call and ask them. I don't think it's a serious issue or they'd say that in the info they wrote.
I could say a lot about how good Mobil is, but maybe they're lacking in 'viscosity maintaining additives'.
The only thing else is to try a different brand, keeping with the suggested viscosity.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
No. Higher viscosity oil might be to thick to get through the little nooks and crannies of the engine and actually cause higher wear. Try 5w-40 if you want but I wouldn't go thicker than 5w on the bottom end.

mr.wonderful

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Developer
The problem isn't your oil filter, or changing viscosity. It's Mobil 1 being Mobil 1.....

I know I am going to catch A TON of flack for that comment, but I stand behind it. It's well known in the Subaru community that Mobil 1 sheers down from a 5w-30 to a 5w-20 in 3000 miles. Granted Subarus are hard on oil, but being a small turbo engine in a truck, I would expect some abuse on the oil. Blackstone's analysis has confirmed it can't withstand the abuse.

Additionally, I used Mobil 1 10w-40 synthetic in my last motorcycle and had clutch issues to the point I was changing oil in less than 2500 miles. Again, a case of abuse....

I'm about to switch to Pennzoil Platinum (parents used it in their Forester XT and had good luck) as I can't justify Motul in this application. If the Pennzoil doesn't work out, Motul is my next step.

Seriously, switch from Mobil 1. I understand that I sound like an arse in the way I say that, and I don't mean to. That said, with Blackstone coming back and confirming what I knew from past experiences tells me that Mobil 1 hasn't changed.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I'm about to switch to Pennzoil Platinum
I went back to Moble 1 after using penn platinum for 2 changes after reading it sheared down too easily too.

Sounds like I might have to try Halvoline or Castrol

Throw 10w40 in as the 6th's quart? ?

Bravohook

First Name
Addame
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Sheepdog
Like Grumpaw stated above I have only once went to a different grade oil in a vehicle, My Tundra called for 0W-20 and I ran 5W-30 b/c if you did not the valvetrain sounded like it was going to crater into the fifth realm of the universe.

I do use a SCAMSOIL in my Ranger, I enjoy the stuff and I have used it on several vehicles.

OP
OP

brroberts

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD SuperCab
Occupation
audio / semi retired
Thanks for the comments so far. This gives me stuff to think about.

mr.wonderful

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger XLT FX4
Occupation
Software Developer
I went back to Moble 1 after using penn platinum for 2 changes after reading it sheared down too easily too.

Sounds like I might have to try Halvoline or Castrol

Throw 10w40 in as the 6th's quart? ?
Can't say for certain. I know I was having blow by issues with the Semi Synthetic Motorcraft which is justifying the switch. If the Penn Plat shears in 5k miles (don't trust 10k changes), Motul is my next option. I can get Motorcraft filters for $4 so if that continues I guess I can justify the cost of Motul...

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
im not sure about the 5g manual but some of the trucks ive had in the past and equipment would spec different weight oil for some operating conditions. cold weather, high heat, heavy towing etc. i know ford does this in some cases. in the newer mustang manuals they have two oils listed. one is for normal driving one is for racing / track use. maybe the conditions you are seeing with the ranger is sort of demanding another weight. I would ask the oil lab just exactly what they mean and why. growing up around old tractors and tired trucks it was normal for me to put in other than listed oil. the more worn the engines were the heavier the oil got. at one point a friend was using rotella 15 40 (for commercial diesels) in his dodge 318. ran smooth and silky as long as it was hot outside lol. but in modern close to new engines i would not use anything other than what the manufacture says. if for no other reason the "warranty" may be void as soon as any dealer notices that its not the exact oil that ford says.

9zero1790

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
just read the report. sounds like all good news. except- fuel dilution lol. and that may be thinning the oil. im not laughing at you or anyones issues. its just that several folks firmly believe that fuel in oil is a pandemic cancer for rangers.
Sponsored