First Name
Damon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat Supercrew
Occupation
COTA/L
Just an FYI for those that use this method or are considering it. I did my 1st oil change today and I used the oil extractor through the dip stick. Got about 5 and a 1/2 quarts. I then pull the oil drain plug and got about 3/4 of a quart. So it appears that the oil extractor method leaves about 1 quart of oil ( a little less) . Now Im thinking that 1 quart of old oil mixed in with 5 1/2 quarts of clean oil isnt horrible but not ideal. Im thinking I may go every other oil change, extractor then full drain from underneath. Any thought on that?
Sponsored

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I've never understood why anybody would extract the oil in that method, unless the vehicle was designed for that method.

Do it the right way... via the oil drain plug.

Frenchy

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger, 2019 cargo van, soon to be 1993
Occupation
Crown Forklift Technician
I'm in agreement with @HenryMac on this. It isnt hard to pull the drain plug and the oil filter has to be the worst part of all. I have yet to run i to a vehicle that requires an evacuation type oil change and i hope I never do. My suggestion just do it the way the manufacturer designed it to be done. If you are worried about stripping the threads then run the plug in by hand most of the way and dont try to hold the truck together with the drain plug. Pretty straightforward on that.

HenryMac

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 SuperCab XL - FX4 - Magnetic - Rocksliders
Occupation
Mech. Engineer - Retired
I'm in agreement with @HenryMac on this. It isnt hard to pull the drain plug and the oil filter has to be the worst part of all. I have yet to run i to a vehicle that requires an evacuation type oil change and i hope I never do. My suggestion just do it the way the manufacturer designed it to be done. If you are worried about stripping the threads then run the plug in by hand most of the way and dont try to hold the truck together with the drain plug. Pretty straightforward on that.
And, obviously, use a torque wrench when tightening the drain plug. That's always a good rule, but especially when the tapped part is made from aluminum.

Ford made sure there is adequate thread engagement on our Ranger oil pan drain plug tapped hole. You'd have to really try hard to screw it up. :sunglasses:

CHS

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
(Ruby) 2021 Ford Ranger Lariat 4X4
Occupation
retired
And, obviously, use a torque wrench when tightening the drain plug. That's always a good rule, but especially when the tapped part is made from aluminum.

Ford made sure there is adequate thread engagement on our Ranger oil pan drain plug tapped hole. You'd have to really try hard to screw it up. :sunglasses:
Do they still make those rubber repair/replacement plugs?? I used to use them when the plug got stripped back in the 70's

WOADKIL

First Name
Wil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT Supercrew Cab FX4
Occupation
ENGINEER
Do they still make those rubber repair/replacement plugs?? I used to use them when the plug got stripped back in the 70's
Once had to use one of those plugs on my 1987 Harley FXR.

rydfree

First Name
Benny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger FX4 Super crew Lariet - Mercedes GLK
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I've used this extractor on everything I own for years with great results . I haven't used it on the Ranger yet as the first change was done by a dealership but the next will most likely be using this as well. Tractor , mowers , sportbikes , Harleys , and several makes/models of cars and trucks have all made use of it in the past . I haven't crawled under a vehicle to change oil for quite sometime now . The most I ever got out of the drain plug after using this was 10 ounces from my F-150 . It comes with many included adapters and suction tubes and I only had to modify one over the years to get everything out of one of my motorcycles . Just make sure the tube you are using actually reaches the bottom of the pan and you're good .
https://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-quarter-gallon-oil-extractor-46149.html

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Powered oil extractors are very common in Europe, they work well.

I'd want to check and clean the oil drain plug magnet every few changes though.

Dereku

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Project Manager
Even the 10oz that was left in your f150 would bother me. Sludge and other large contaminates fall to the bottom. A full drain could help remove them. It's like flushing a toilet, or using and extractor to remove the water. Only one was gets rid of the crap.

MikeyB

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger
Occupation
Retired
To each their own. I'm old fashioned I'd rather get underneath and unscrew the the drain plug. Let it bleed out.
Even better if the old oil is hot coming out.

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Retired RF Telecommications Manager
Oil pan drain plug - 15 mm, Torque - 20 foot lbs. (27 Nm)

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger Lariat SuperCrew 4x2, 2017 Toyota Limited Highlander w/Platinum Pkg., 2012 Jeep JK Rubicon
Occupation
Powered oil extractors are very common in Europe, they work well.

I'd want to check and clean the oil drain plug magnet every few changes though.
Hmmm... My oil drain plug doesn't have a magnet and I have never seen one on a oil pan drain plug.

JesseS

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger XLT FX4, Jayco 26' Class A
Occupation
Retired, work is a four letter word.
I made mine as easy as possible while draining from the pan, Fumoto drain valve with a 12" clear hose attached and tucked up on the support brace. Then replaced the plastic stupid screw retainers with rivet nuts and thumbscrews, and bought the twist lock funnel for filling. So the only tool I need is the filter wrench to do a oil change. Add my creeper for sliding under the truck and it is a 15 minute job every 5K, so simple even a caveman can do it.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Hmmm... My oil drain plug doesn't have a magnet and I have never seen one on a oil pan drain plug.
They have replacement oil drain plugs that are magnetic.
Amazon

Radioman

First Name
Kent
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
They have replacement oil drain plugs that are magnetic.
Amazon
Interesting... Thanks KJ. I still have never seen OEM magnetic oil drain plugs. Might be a good idea though.
Sponsored