First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Interesting... Thanks KJ. I still have never seen OEM magnetic oil drain plugs. Might be a good idea though.
I had one on a Volvo though not oem. Not sure how much it helped but there was always fine metal particles (think dust) to wipe off when I changed oil. I have a hard drive magnet epoxied to the oil plate in my air-cooled vw and that always needs cleaned also. I imagine it helps keep the particles out of the oil and the filter a little cleaner.
Sponsored

P. A. Schilke

First Name
Phil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger FX4 Lariat 4x4, 2020 Lincoln Nautilus, 2005 Alfa Motorhome
Occupation
Engineer Retired
Vehicle Showcase
I had one on a Volvo though not oem. Not sure how much it helped but there was always fine metal particles (think dust) to wipe off when I changed oil. I have a hard drive magnet epoxied to the oil plate in my air-cooled vw and that always needs cleaned also. I imagine it helps keep the particles out of the oil and the filter a little cleaner.
Hi KJ,

Do you still have the bypass oil cooler? I have a few experiences with epoxy magnets...not a pretty story...

Best,
Phil

Aonarch

First Name
Alec
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 Tremor, '16 Audi TT, '21 Ducati Hyper, '85 E30
Occupation
Engineer
Hmmm... My oil drain plug doesn't have a magnet and I have never seen one on a oil pan drain plug.
Sorry I was speaking more generically.

I have Fumotos on all of my vehicles.

KJRR

First Name
KJ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Ford Ranger, '14 Ford Edge, '74 VW Type 181
Occupation
Professional Curmudgeon
Hi KJ,

Do you still have the bypass oil cooler? I have a few experiences with epoxy magnets...not a pretty story...

Best,
Phil
Stock bypass oil cooler. I did add a CB Performance Maxi filter to the pump. The magnet is neodymium, difficult enough to get it off once it's stuck to metal let alone epoxied to it.

rpeterson53

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat, 2019 Mazda MX-5 RF, 2016 Subaru Outback 3.6R
Stock bypass oil cooler. I did add a CB Performance Maxi filter to the pump. The magnet is neodymium, difficult enough to get it off once it's stuck to metal let alone epoxied to it.
I use the oil extractor method first to get most of the oil out. I have the Valvomax quick drain valve to get the remaining amount out. Using the Valvomax, I needed 2 containers to drain all the oil since it hold 6 plus quarts. Now only use one and don’t have to watch the first container to make sure it doesn’t overflow. We all have different solutions to a rudimentary process. That’s what so great in my opinion about forums. Learning from others

Cheers
Sponsored