First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 super crew fx4 sport
Occupation
air breather
Eh, I'll beat the dead horse as well: My first oil change was at 2250 miles, and I used OEM filter and oil. Next one was at 5000 miles, and I switched to Mobil-1 Extended Performance filter and 5W-30 full synthetic oil, and will use that every 5000 miles for the life of the truck.

5000 Miles.jpg

If you are planning to do your own oil changes, I recommend getting an oil drain valve (I like Fumoto, but there are several options) - it makes the process much faster and cleaner. Here's a little write-up I did on my drain valve: https://www.ranger5g.com/forum/threads/fumoto-oil-drain-valve.3031/page-2#post-144936

Since it has also been briefly discussed: at 2500 miles I also changed the front and rear diff oil as well as the transfer case fluid. I have not touched the transmission fluid. I used Amsoil Severe Gear 80w90 Synthetic oil in the diffs, and Motocraft Mercon LV in the transfer case. The rear diff fluid from the factory was already pretty dark, and there was a small amount of metal on the magnet. The front diff fluid looked much better (I only had maybe 100 miles of 4WD on it by then, though). Transfer case fluid also looked good.

Here is the drain plug from my rear diff, at 2500 miles. It's magnetic, and all that build up is metal shavings from the gears wearing in:
IMG_3614.jpg

Here is the factory fluid I drained from my rear diff at 2500 miles:
IMG_3620.jpg

At any rate: I'm not sure it really matters *what brand* of oil and filter you use. Change it on time, and you'll be fine. Enjoy your truck!
i use the same. but in all fairness i think some other oils are just as good or maybe better than mobil 1. i got it on sale a few times so figured why not. as long as oil passes all the certs and is the right weight etc. im not worried. my poor 4g gets whatever is on sale that checks the boxes and has since new and it runs like a top.
Sponsored

J Haggerty (RADAR1)

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XLT Supercrew I4, 2017 Dodge Durango SXT V6, 2004 Dodge Dakota SLT V8
Occupation
Retired USAF Air Traffic Controller
I prefer to use the Motorcraft filter FL-910-S, and any full synthetic 5W30 oil that meets or exceeds the specifications in the owners manual.
Although my 2019 only required API Service SN and ILSAC 5, my current oils support API Service SP and ILSAC 6.

API SP.JPG

Kemo Sabe

First Name
Kemo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Hey everyone,

Combed the forums and read a lot about oil changes, but didn't see much of what filter and oils to use.

In past vehicles, I've always used whatever was suggested in the owners manual, and always Motorcraft.

Just wanted to see if that is still the best option.

Just rolled past 1000 miles on my 22 Ranger, and I'd like to do a change nice and early, as I've only had it for about two weeks, and I've been driving like I stole it.

So should I go with the Motorcraft FL 910-S and Motorcraft 5W-30 or is there anything better?

Thank you in advance
Mobil M1-102 oil filter, Mobil synthetic. Or, super tech Walmart. ?

Jrel209

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger XLT crew cab
I just go to the dealer for now. Will be doing every 5k or 6/m per the manual. Honestly, its cheaper and they use motorcraft oil:filter specced which should be what was meant for these engines.

SAZ Ranger

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger Lariat 2wd
Occupation
Retired
Some educational videos.

First video long but watch the whole thing.

This one is sad

very interesting person, a good source or information, he will grow on you.

Don't bog your engine down if you can help it. In winter keep short trips of only a mile or so to a miminum. Use the turbo only when you need it (This one is hard to do) and take the Ranger on the hi way as often as you can.
Don't go over 5 or 6 thousand miles between oil changes, it could effect your warranty.

JohnnyO

First Name
Jon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ranger STX 4x4
Occupation
Asst. Greenskeeper, Bushwood Country Club
So should I go with the Motorcraft FL 910-S and Motorcraft 5W-30 or is there anything better?
Motorcraft filter and Pennzoil Platinum. About $30 at Walmart. In my previous vehicles I always got the best used oil analysis results with that. Haven't got one on the Ranger yet. A used oil analysis from Blackstone Labs is the only way to know for sure.

Amsoil guy

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger
Occupation
Hydro Vac operator/ Amsoil Dealer
So am I correct on running a blend for break in then switch to full synthetic or go full synthetic right off the rip?

Also, everyone else thank you for the advice!

Does running non-motorcraft filters and oil affect warranty?

Not too concerned about warranty, but also don't want to break it this early in case any manufacturing defects show up.
It doesn’t. As long as you have a paper trail and everything meets spec you are good to go.
As for going to full synthetic right away, I took my 1 free oil change from the dealership and switched to Amsoil Sig. Series 5W30 right away with an Amsoil Ea15k51 15,000 mole filter. N’écarte se of the turbo I change the oil and filter every 12,000 - 15,000km. It’s been 2 years now and all good.

wayhipcat

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX XLT Crew Cab
Occupation
School Psychologist
Hey everyone,

Combed the forums and read a lot about oil changes, but didn't see much of what filter and oils to use.

In past vehicles, I've always used whatever was suggested in the owners manual, and always Motorcraft.

Just wanted to see if that is still the best option.

Just rolled past 1000 miles on my 22 Ranger, and I'd like to do a change nice and early, as I've only had it for about two weeks, and I've been driving like I stole it.

Thank you in advance
What we really need is a thread that discusses not just oil and filters, but who to vote for and what religion to practice.

SigOris

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Ranger Lariat Crew Cab
Occupation
Retired
I will give you the best advice from a non bias perspective. Go on YouTube and search for oil filter comparision. There are several that cut them open and actually compare what goes into manufacturing them. And then from there you can form your own opinion on what you want. IMO I went with the NAPA Platinum oil filer.
Bob The Oil Guy did an awesome write up. Think he bought one of each brand FL1A’s and did biopsy's on them for comparison of filter media and relief valve.

Husky44

First Name
Domenic
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ford Ranger 2014 F150 Raptor
Occupation
Retired
I just use Mobil 1 and a motorcraft filter.. Also made a deflector to save a mess to clean from the drain plug..
7-2-22 Ranger oil change.jpg

ranger oil deflector.jpg
Sponsored