Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
If you’re in a jurisdiction where you‘re required to have a front licence plate and you think it looks a bit odd sitting up so high, it’s easy enough to lower it by simply flipping the bracket upside down. There are also some good aftermarket options out there that achieve the same thing.

The good thing about this change is that it helps partially cover the big gap in the lower bumper and protect the a/c condenser/bottom of the intercooler/whatever the heck it is in there.

The bad thing about this change is that it will likely mess with the radar/sensor down that hole if you have Adaptive Cruise Control (ACC).

Flip the Bracket
  • Remove bracket
    • 2 fasteners thread up into bumper
    • 2 tabs clip into slots on top part of bumper
IMG_5645.jpeg

• Remove plate
  • Flip entire bracket
  • Install plate in the new orientation
  • Thread two fasteners back up into bumper
The tabs have nowhere to clip into but you could simply use self-adhering Velcro pads to hold it in place or drill holes through the tabs and lower valance and secure with trim push pin retainers. I left my tabs as they were and had no issues.

Before…factory location

IMG_3131.jpeg

After…flipped

IMG_3143.jpeg

Relocate the Bracket

The factory licence plate bracket is a bit flimsy and breaks easily - I snapped mine clean off with a car wash hose and others have broken them parking. I bought a steel, powder coated aftermarket bracket to replace my broken factory unit.

Willpower - Amazon

There are a few different mounting options and depending on which one you choose, it affects the height of the plate. I chose to mount it like this because it provided the height I liked best…

IMG_5648.jpeg

It mounts similar to the factory bracket with the fasteners threading up into the bumper.

First, I tried mounting it using the existing bracket holes because they line up with the holes in the bumper but it stuck out way too far forward and looked goofy. It has to stick out enough to clear the bumper and to get it just right, I ended up drilling two new holes in the bracket about 3-1/4” from the tab that the plate is mounted to. I mounted my plate (with its silicone cover from Amazon) to the bracket and covered the exposed ends of the top bolts with rubber domes for protection (see pic below). If you nudge something and bend the plate, they will help protect the paint on your bumper. Four of these rubber domes can be found on the back of the plastic factory plate holder - handy!

IMG_5650.jpeg

Here’s how it turned out…

IMG_2926.jpeg

It is just about the same height as the top of the bumper, with the bottom of the plate at the height of the lower valance - offers protection and leaves some room for airflow - no issues - it‘s been on over a year.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase
It definitely looks better in the relocated spot! I have ACC so I'll stick with the stock spot.
Thanks Nate. It certainly isn’t worth the extra work and expense of an ACC relocation kit just to reposition the plate. 😀

Loweredon33s

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ranger
Occupation
Performance person
I have ACC. I sectioned my mount and “adjusted” my tag.

IMG_2381.jpeg

IMG_2387.jpeg

OP
OP
DukeCanBuildit

DukeCanBuildit

First Name
Duke
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 XLT SuperCab
Occupation
Husband-Caregiver
Vehicle Showcase

davewho

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘21 Ranger
Occupation
Between jobs
In my home state front plates are mandatory. I take a lot of trips out of state to camp, wheel and visit friends. I remove my front plate as I exit Texas and stick it back on as I return. The winch holds it on so It’s trivial to R&R.

IMG_5201.jpeg