Fuel in oil

cb4017

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 F150 Rattler
Occupation
Retired USN and retired LEO
This looks really good. Being in Nevada your temperatures are warmer than members that live in the north. Do you do much in the way of short in town trips or mostly longer highway?
Northern Nevada high desert can get cold. 19 degrees this morning and it's been single digits a few times this winter. I would say mostly short trips. I live 7 miles out of town so typical use is around 15 miles round trip. About the only time it gets an extended drive lately is if head out in the desert for a day or haul my trailer out for some camping.
Sponsored

Scott C

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT Crew Cab 4X4
Occupation
Driver
Got my Blackstone results recently. I had a "trace" of fuel with just under 4k miles on the oil. My oil level has been stable and does not smell like fuel. The trace may be because it's cold here and I may not be getting the oil up to full temp lately. Anyway, I'll take it. Here is the report for those interested.

Ranger UOA1 (Medium).jpg
Looks a lot better than mine (4% fuel dilution) My Ford dealer wanted me to give them a excellent review if I receive a survey. I said how can I give you a great review when you haven't done anything to fix the fuel dilution problem. They're saying they can't find any other Rangers with this problem per TSB's or recalls so my trucks fine and Ford hasn't determined how much fuel in the oil is too much. Very frustrated.

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Or don't. From what I remember, he verbally requested it of the customer relations people and was blown off. According to page 34 of the '19 warranty guide, they require written notification for any lemon law claim. https://www.michigan.gov/sos/0,4670,7-127-96435-23885--,00.html would be a better place to start imo. Which also means you probably need to exercise Ford's arbitration process via BBB Auto Line (pg 33).
In Wisconsin, you have to fill out and file a MV2691 form. The form starts out stating your situation has to meet one of 2 conditions to file:
  • The dealer failed 4 times to fix the same nonconformity in the first year of ownership
  • The vehicle was unable to be operated (“out of service”) for 30 days or more due to defects in the first year of ownership/
I could not check either of those boxes, as my issue did not start until ~10,000 miles/ 10 months into ownership. With Covid starting up at the time, it was difficult to get service scheduled and by the time the dealer actually attempted a fix the first time, I was past a year of ownership. In WI, this used to be the above in the first 2 years of ownership vs only the first year. I believe it changed in 2014. Many other states have "better" Lemon laws.

Anyway, I then tried my luck with Ford directly and they shot me down, stating they only go by the state laws applicable to the situation. I did contact a lawyer, and I am SOL for the State Lemon Law, but I could pursue the National Lemon law. The National Lemon Law would not result in a replacement or buyback, but would probably end up with some monetary compensation, in which I am still unsure if that relieves Ford of any further warranty work on the particular issue, or not? I have not pursued that, but it is always an option. I am still holding out hope that Ford will do the right thing and fix the truck.

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
Well I drove the Bronco a little bit tonight the best part of it so far was the heated steering wheel. I really believe my ranger has a lot more power then this Bronco. It's kind of strange when you get in it the cluster and the radio plays a short video which seems like a bunch of gingerbread to me.
But more importantly I really don't think I'll get anywhere with the buyback as for does not Want to buy back a problem that I am sure they are well aware of . The sad thing is that most people will not even realize they have the problem because most people do not check their oil on a new vehicle. it will be 5 or 6000 miles be for they realize they have a problem. I am wondering if it could be a ring issue maybe at takes 5 or 6000 miles until the ring seat I don't know, grasping at straws here
Also, all the people who don’t change their own oil would never know if there a problem or not!

MotoWojo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
Looks a lot better than mine (4% fuel dilution) My Ford dealer wanted me to give them a excellent review if I receive a survey. I said how can I give you a great review when you haven't done anything to fix the fuel dilution problem. They're saying they can't find any other Rangers with this problem per TSB's or recalls so my trucks fine and Ford hasn't determined how much fuel in the oil is too much. Very frustrated.
Ford doesn't seem to have an issue with 12-13% dilution, so I do not believe they would pay any mind to 4%? I am only ~800 miles from the required 5,000 miles on the current oil change, before they will take the truck in and send out another sample and decide where to go from there. I should hit that in about 3 weeks. My oil level has been hovering around, just above the twist on the dipstick for the past 3000 miles. That seems to be the sweet spot as it has not been going past that. My 12 and 13% fuel dilution samples were both taken when the oil level was just below the twist. So. I have been driving the truck for the past few thousand miles with, what?, 15-20% fuel dilution? Surprisingly, aside from the one time when I had quite audible knocking at startup, for about 15 seconds or so, the truck has run fine.

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I had a crazy thought....wonder if everyone having this issue is using synthetic oil or syn blend.....would running reg dino oil for a thousand miles or three thousand miles (changed in the process if needed) to see if it helps break in the rings an allow better sealing.

Just trying to think of another tactic to try....it might help in some cases but I don't think it would hurt.

One of my riding friends had a big bore kit installed on his bike last winter an the shop told him to do reg dino oil for the first 5 thousand miles. He did 3 oil changes in the first 3K miles being overcautious.

N. J. Jim

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger Lariat
Occupation
Retired
I had a crazy thought....wonder if everyone having this issue is using synthetic oil or syn blend.....would running reg dino oil for a thousand miles or three thousand miles (changed in the process if needed) to see if it helps break in the rings an allow better sealing.

Just trying to think of another tactic to try....it might help in some cases but I don't think it would hurt.

One of my riding friends had a big bore kit installed on his bike last winter an the shop told him to do reg dino oil for the first 5 thousand miles. He did 3 oil changes in the first 3K miles being overcautious.
I wonder what oil actually comes from the factory in these trucks. Is it the Motorcraft 5W30 blend or is it some type of break-in oil. If not a break-in oil maybe it should be. If this is indeed a ring seating problem. With all the new materials used now a days who knows maybe a break-in type oil is needed!

Langwilliams

First Name
Langley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger XLT, 2014 Harley Street Glide
Occupation
Mail Carrier (retired) Navy Vet
I wonder what oil actually comes from the factory in these trucks. Is it the Motorcraft 5W30 blend or is it some type of break-in oil. If not a break-in oil maybe it should be. If this is indeed a ring seating problem. With all the new materials used now a days who knows maybe a break-in type oil is needed!
I've been told they come with syn blend from the factory, that's why ford only required an oil change at 10K miles, which is crazy high to me. I did a search on the percentage of syn oil in syn blend an saw numbers like 80%, I was expecting more like 25-40%.

If I were having the problem now I'd do a change with good quality dino oil an an drive it a month or so not beating on it an go back to syn.

Blue Streak

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ranger XL STX FX 2021 Honda CR V
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
Ford doesn't seem to have an issue with 12-13% dilution, so I do not believe they would pay any mind to 4%? I am only ~800 miles from the required 5,000 miles on the current oil change, before they will take the truck in and send out another sample and decide where to go from there. I should hit that in about 3 weeks. My oil level has been hovering around, just above the twist on the dipstick for the past 3000 miles. That seems to be the sweet spot as it has not been going past that. My 12 and 13% fuel dilution samples were both taken when the oil level was just below the twist. So. I have been driving the truck for the past few thousand miles with, what?, 15-20% fuel dilution? Surprisingly, aside from the one time when I had quite audible knocking at startup, for about 15 seconds or so, the truck has run fine.
How hard do you drive it? I would be into it very hard all the time.

Reactions: Doc

viperwolf

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Everest 4x4 Titanium BI Turbo, 2015 Ford Ecosport Titanium
Occupation
Retired Military
Here are some pictures of the 1.5 in the Bronco where the alternator is

20210122_155237.jpg

20210122_155344.jpg

20210122_155242.jpg
Like I figured, its high and not sealed, which is useless for Rangers. Good for the Bronco owners though. Im not sure Ford has ever made a sealed alternator, I know the one Ive seen installed where Denso units. Thank you very much for the pics!!

createaneutron

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford XLT Sport
Occupation
Medical Physicist
Got my Blackstone results recently. I had a "trace" of fuel with just under 4k miles on the oil. My oil level has been stable and does not smell like fuel. The trace may be because it's cold here and I may not be getting the oil up to full temp lately. Anyway, I'll take it. Here is the report for those interested.

Ranger UOA1 (Medium).jpg
That's great! I hope my next UOA looks that good. My first was 4.3%

Rickfar

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 supercrew sport
That's great! I hope my next UOA looks that good. My first was 4.3%
Well here is a copy of an email I sent to my ford resolution case manager today. The dealer through in my face about the tune on my car, that I'm dumping more gas in to it and that's why I have the fuel dilution they are the ones that installed the tune!
I have 2247 miles oul has been changed 5X already.

Rasheda,

I just thought I would write this email after THE dealer LB Smith By Gary the service manager threw in my face that I had a "Tune" on my car that he implied that it could be causing my issue. This is a very incorrect statement and it seems that he is casting blame to try to justify why my truck has fuel dilution of 3.9% .
To clear this up I want to make these valid points,

1) This issue has been going on since 500 miles way before a tune was on car.

2) This was purchased from ford performance parts and has nothing to do with my issue.

3) It was taken to dealer and it was installed by Ford as required by ford Performance and I have paper work to show said install.

4) Enclosed Document shows that it is warranted by ford.

5) tune is not installed on vehicle at this time as per ford's recommendations.

6) Truck has been using 92 Octane top Tier fuel since day 1.

This is starting to feel like David fighting Goliath and all I want as a Consumer is to have what I purchased a Dependable truck and not have to worry that the engine is going to fail at some point. To have that much fuel diluting the oil it will get to the point that the amount of Gas will overfill the crankcase causing the flashpoint to become dangerous and it will result in a engine failure or worse a fire which could result in serious injury or death.

I have owned many vehicles and never in 45 years have I had to worry about a engine failure or fire in a vehicle. No I'm wrong I owned a pinto that ford had to put kevlar protection at rear shocks so if you were rear-ended that it would not rupture the fuel tank and explode causing serious injury.

I feel that ford knows there is an issue and they just want to sweep it under the rug but whether it is me or someone else this is going to be an issue as more people start seeing this.

Most consumers DO NOT check their own oil as it is implied when you buy a new vehicle that you should not have to do so especially in the first 5000 miles and by that time it could be a serious issue.

I would like this to be a part of my case and hope that Ford does the right thing and do 1 of 2 things, fix the vehicle and give me assurance that the problem is corrected permanently or buy the vehicle back and let me purchase another ranger.

It actually would be in Ford's interest to take the vehicle and analyze the issue to see what is causing this in the Ranger.

This is not the only case or Ranger that this is happening to and I'm sure that as more Rangers are brought in for service it will rear it's ugly head.

Once again I appreciate your time and concern in helping me to get resolution to this matter.

Thanking You

txquailguy

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4 Lariat - 2020 Hyundai Kona Ultimate
Occupation
Biologist
Vehicle Showcase
I got my Blackstone analysis back today. All looks great, definitely NO fuel in oil issue with my Ranger.

Last edited:

Hoosier Daddy

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Ranger FX4